Edited by Monteba

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have just had my American Staffordshire girl confirmed in whelp by frozen semen - Due 10th of November. :cheer:

This will be my first litter so I'm super excited.

Vet said it looks to only be a small litter but I expected that considering the sire was 9 when he was collected.

I coped with 9 for my first ever litter so I am sure you will be fine Pockets.

I was incredibly lucky though my girl was an awesome Mum and I never needed to top up a single puppy and battled to wean them as she would jump the fence into their pen to go back with them. I never had to clean 1 either - she managed that too. So they really weren't that much work and the things that took time would have to be done regardless - the whelping box/puppy run still needed cleaning and paper changed, food still needed to be prepared etc.

This is my girls second litter (last one October 2011) but first litter with me. She was a brilliant mum first time around :)

My first litter here I had was with a bitch that had to have her leg amputated because of cancer :-( so the girl above happily helped out with her litter, cleaned the puppies, cleaned up after the pups and played and taught them boundaries :)

So I have no doubt she will excel again as she loves her puppies :)

Of course the nervous thing now is as with every breeder that the puppies are all born alive and healthy :)

Wow Pockets, what an amazing experience that would have been. Fascinating that the other bitch knew help was needed.

We are going through the nervous wait of is she/isnt she. I am trying to tell myself the signs i am seeing are in my head so i dont get disappointed if she isn't. Still another week or so before we can ultrasound. Last time i was unsure right until the day before the scan when i became quite sure and drove to the vet with my husband saying it is so obvious that she is that i dont know why we are even bothering, lol.

Sadly today's scan showed that unless she is hiding a couple under her ribcage, there will be no puppies for Maya this year. A bit frustrating as we did all the prog testing and semen testing routines and everything looked fine. :(

We will try again in 2013.