Warning: Arachnophobes Look Away!

Dxenion

Can someone explain to me what is so awful about spiders. OK. Some of them bite and are poisonous, but most are harmless and prey on obnoxious insects. It's pretty easy to learn which are dangerous in your area. (I am female, but don't get it. Why are girls so upset by creepy-crawlies . . . and mice?).

phobias aren't rational, you will drive yourself mad trying to understand then in rational terms LOL

i am not exactly scared of spiders, i don't want to hug them either, but i definitely feel something when i see one. i certainly understand where the arachnophobia comes from.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain to me what is so awful about spiders. OK. Some of them bite and are poisonous, but most are harmless and prey on obnoxious insects. It's pretty easy to learn which are dangerous in your area. (I am female, but don't get it. Why are girls so upset by creepy-crawlies . . . and mice?).

I don't mind mice, snakes etc and am not what you would call a girly girl in that sense, I used to keep mice and rats etc but spiders...:eek:

I will try and answer your question from my perspective. Everything about them creeps me out, their hairy spindly legs, the way they move, the fact they can bite, some can be life threatening, the mere thought of one makes me physcially shudder. I have nightmares about them, have trouble looking at pictures of them, quite regularly inspect areas inside before going into them to make sure there are none there and if I get one on me I become absolutely hysterical. It's out of my control.:shrug: And pretty funny for anyone watching :laugh:

When I was a kid I wasn't as scared of them until I was bitten by some kind of jumping spider and developed a shocking infection at the bite site. I think that has a lot to do with how I feel about them. Yes they may be harmless in most cases but I've experienced the harmful side and I wouldn't want to do it again :laugh:

I'm the same, I have had pet snakes, mice & rats, but spiders scare the crap out of me. I think it's because they are sneaky & turn up in your bed, car, clothes etc. OH & when I was young, a giant wolf spider jumped off a tree & onto my arm, have been terrified ever since. Thongs are the greatest invention ever, for spider eradication. :rofl: