Wolfdogs

Horsegal98

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt trust this breeder at all. There is a fair amount of doubt with both dogs. Not only that but this owner offered to sell me a pup and when I asked some fairly basic questions they immediately stop contact. Its up to the individual to make a decision but that screams BYB to me. Infact they are hard to get any info out of at all. Id be extremely careful.

The person who wanted to import is no longer with them, its their partner who owns the dogs now. Its written on the forum.

Also the price was much higher - its dropped recently.

If anyone wants a pup I would urge them to be careful and maybe wait just a bit longer for a very experienced breeder to import her dogs.

They are a great breed, not for just anyone sure but lovely dogs.

Yes sounds about right. I think its fairly safe to assume this person isnt looking after the best interest of the breed and quite alot of people who have invested alot of time and money are quite annoyed really. I feel for them as they claim they did not know the dogs were infact crossed with something else but that doesnt explain the behaviour now.

I wouldnt buy a pup and Ive been trying to get another wolfdog for over 10 years! Desperate but not stupid!

Yes sounds about right. I think its fairly safe to assume this person isnt looking after the best interest of the breed and quite alot of people who have invested alot of time and money are quite annoyed really. I feel for them as they claim they did not know the dogs were infact crossed with something else but that doesnt explain the behaviour now.

I wouldnt buy a pup and Ive been trying to get another wolfdog for over 10 years! Desperate but not stupid!

Out of curiosity Akayla do you have a wolfdog already/previously?

..Are you Ligerwolve from the Wolfdog forum? :)

In the USA amongst the many "DD's" available they tout the "Wolfdog" which is a wolf hybrid...it warns people in a book on "DD's" I have to be cautious of this dog..not very trainable (ifactual wolf lines) and also often no actual wolf in them but a hybrid which carries GSD, Malinois, Huskie, Malamute etc. and various combinations thereof.

I wonder how if the Chech "Wolfdog" is a wolf hybrid or if it is a descriptive term?

In the USA amongst the many "DD's" available they tout the "Wolfdog" which is a wolf hybrid...it warns people in a book on "DD's" I have to be cautious of this dog..not very trainable (ifactual wolf lines) and also often no actual wolf in them but a hybrid which carries GSD, Malinois, Huskie, Malamute etc. and various combinations thereof.

I wonder how if the Chech "Wolfdog" is a wolf hybrid or if it is a descriptive term?

IT is NOT a wolf-dog hybrid - it is a recognised breed.

Same as the Australian Cattle Dog is not a Dingo-dog hybrid, despite the fact the Dingo was used to create the breed.

Edited by espinay2

IT is NOT a wolf-dog hybrid - it is a recognised breed.

Same as the Australian Cattle Dog is not a Dingo-dog hybrid, despite the fact the Dingo was used to create the breed.

Ah, so it is a breed then with the term "wolfdog" being descriptive of it's type then?

I thought the Dingo in the ACD was a myth? :(

Edited by LizT

Thanks. Very concise. Have heard so many stories over the years about this breed, some of which include the mention of both the corgi and the dalmation! Nice to know what's what as it's not a breed whose history I've really looked into (unitl todaythat is :)

That's my "something new" for today then.

You can call them a Czechoslovakian vlcak instead.

Yes I am Chris :) yes i have had a different breed but a "wolfdog". Sadly she passed away last year. I miss her alot. CzWs are as close as I can get to her breed.

If you ever bring one across can you please let me know? I would be interested to hear your thoughts on them.

I have several friends in Europe who are involved with &/or breed these dogs and they are on my list of "when the children leave home" dogs I'd like to own. I have heard trickles of information regarding their trainability and temperament but I am not confident enough to bring one over and start off with them myself - not until I've learned a lot more about them at least.

Yes I am Chris :) yes i have had a different breed but a "wolfdog". Sadly she passed away last year. I miss her alot. CzWs are as close as I can get to her breed.

Sorry that your doggie passed away. What was she?

If you ever bring one across can you please let me know? I would be interested to hear your thoughts on them.

I have several friends in Europe who are involved with &/or breed these dogs and they are on my list of "when the children leave home" dogs I'd like to own. I have heard trickles of information regarding their trainability and temperament but I am not confident enough to bring one over and start off with them myself - not until I've learned a lot more about them at least.

Like most breeds its all about the breeder you get them from, especially a working breed. The forum is not bad for learning about them, lots of photos and stories of every day life.

I found with my girl the first couple of years were the hardest. Once we got past that (heaps of training) she was a dream dog.