The New Pet Rescue Site?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read somewhere the new site is optimised for Google Chrome and after many hours of frustration discovered that some selections cannot be accessed through Internet Explorer.

You're kidding right? Why would anyone optimise a website for one of the lesser used browsers and make it somewhat non-functional for the others? Chrome pulls its settings from the IE settings, why would IE not work properly with PetRescue's site?

I have to try to add a foster to PetRescue tonight - I use Firefox, and on first fiddle the other day, it seemed pretty functional.

T.

You're kidding right? Why would anyone optimise a website for one of the lesser used browsers and make it somewhat non-functional for the others?

Statistically speaking, Chrome is the world's most popular browser. This year it's popularity is increasing way beyond Firefox too.

You're kidding right? Why would anyone optimise a website for one of the lesser used browsers and make it somewhat non-functional for the others?

Statistically speaking, Chrome is the world's most popular browser. This year it's popularity is increasing way beyond Firefox too.

Most corporates use IE though, and you'll find a lot of people do browsing on their work website. It is pretty standard to test a site on ALL major browsers and make sure it works on all of them.

I assume those stats are highly influenced by users in the US anyway - they aren't looking to adopt Australian dogs.

Most corporates use IE though, and you'll find a lot of people do browsing on their work website. It is pretty standard to test a site on ALL major browsers and make sure it works on all of them.

I assume those stats are highly influenced by users in the US anyway - they aren't looking to adopt Australian dogs.

Of course. That's why I said the world's most popular browser, not Australia's. But the statistics show a growing trend that Chrome is on the up and will, very soon, be the most popular in almost all countries. That's why many web designers cater more for Chrome but, as you say, should test for all compatibility across the board.

Though, nothing about PetRescue's new makeover leads me to believe any extensive testing was done for anything.

You're kidding right?

Veronica our wonderful volunteer who does the PR listings for PAWS was having the same trouble as ninahartland so I asked her to download Google Chrome and use that instead of IE and the problem was fixed. I don't know if other browsers are also affected but hopefully it is just a temporary bug.

Veronica our wonderful volunteer who does the PR listings for PAWS was having the same trouble as ninahartland so I asked her to download Google Chrome and use that instead of IE and the problem was fixed. I don't know if other browsers are also affected but hopefully it is just a temporary bug.

I just tested in I.E.

Yep, options when listing are unable to be selected. All I can select is 'Desexed' and 'Interstate.'

You're kidding right?

Thanks for this info :) I just downloaded Google Chrome and it works now.

I read somewhere the new site is optimised for Google Chrome and after many hours of frustration discovered that some selections cannot be accessed through Internet Explorer.

The Iphone Ap doesn't work anymore either!

Gonna be fun designing an Apple app to access a site designed for Google Chrome... lol!

I'll let you all know how I go listing my foster pup on PR via my Firefox browser...

T.

Didn't have any issue at all in Firefox... no mixed formatting at all. Then again, I'm using a nearly brand new computer with Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) and all the bells and whistles on it. And using Firefox 15.0.1

Here's the listing I just put up...

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/200358

It took me about 5 minutes...

T.

Edited by tdierikx

Didn't have any issue at all in Firefox... no mixed formatting at all. Then again, I'm using a nearly brand new computer with Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) and all the bells and whistles on it. And using Firefox 15.0.1

Tested with same specs, also on the Alienware computer and with Waterfox too. Formatting is random thing, which would suggest dodgy coding, especially as Waterfox is geared more towards 64-Bit systems.

From a searcher's viewpoint PR now reminds me very much of American adopt-a-pet type sites.

If you're searching within a particular rescue group's pages, the photos are tiny, which isn't too bad if the group doesn't have pages and pages to go through, but many do (e.g. Save Our Strays). The breed name is also cut-off on a group's page, e.g. one group has a listing's breed truncated to "Miniature P", another "Pure Bred G".

I hope this is constructive criticism as it's not meant to be anything else. I've been trying to get used to the new site, but my main thought has been I sure hope they didn't pay out megabucks to a professional site designer because it doesn't appear to be well set out. A bit of Googling and it seems to be a company called The Frontier Group. I have to wonder if they understood the brief as it doesn't seem they are ofay with an adopt-an-animal style website and what should take precedence.

Although I know it's PR's policy not to be able to search for a particular breed, I still feel it'd be useful to be able to separate dogs from cats, which isn't possible within a rescue group's page. This has always been the case though.

It would be nice if one of the PR people came on here and explained all our concerns so we are at least aware of what is happening or not happening.

Maree

CPR

Perhaps contact them directly?

I have contacted them on a couple of issues, but am sure hundreds of people have also done the same thing so don't want to overload them and just thought it might be usefull for one of them to come on and just explain what is happening, seemed a fair comment to me.

Hey guys,

Sorry - wasn't aware of this thread so have only just had a chance to reply.

If any of your issues are still outstanding, I'm here with the team now and will try to get you a response. Ready - go!

:)shel