The New Pet Rescue Site?

Why, oh why did they fix something that wasn't broken? The site worked beautifully before and it's almost impossible to navigate now. They should ditch the new website and go back to the way it was before.

Please see my previous post above yours, it was OLD and cumbersome and had way too much stuff in the history part of the site, as I also said the CPR site was OLD and cumbersome as well and we had to have a new site for the administrator to not have to spend 3 hours putting up one picture.

We need to accept that this is the new site BUT we also need to have PR hear what we are saying and please help us by way of our imput to see if they can at least look at what we are saying, if this is it then PR stats are going to drop dramatically as to how many animals are rehomed by way of the PR site, so lets see how we can improve things for the better for us and especially the dogs rehoming.

Maree

CPR

Edited by keetamouse

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are having the same issues. Enquiries are now almost non-existent, and the feedback from members of the public is that the site is almost impossible to use. Sadly with very few of our dogs now being adopted we are limited in the new ones we can take on. We have emailed PR direct approx. 2 weeks ago with some queries and never heard back.

Added a listing last night for a little senior dog in care which at first was ok. Then when i went to add more photos it deleted the cover photo and i cannot open the page to even look at the listing it says webpage expired. Today i tried to veiw the dogs profile again and same thing. I cannot delete it and start again. Hell i can't even open it.

I also had some people who came to meet one of my dogs on Sunday mention how they did not find it user friendly and hard to search for a dog in their state.

My enquiries have dropped to almost non existant since the new webpage has been implemented . Have had 2 enquiries in 4 weeks out of 6 dogs listed currently.

..... I know they asked for us all to email them, but, as I said no one else sees the reply and they would probably be answering the same question 100 times so seems logical for someone to come on here where we all are and we are the users of PR.

Maree

CPR

They do have their own problem reporting system - not as easy to use as DOL but it may help if everyone reporting issues here went over and added their issues to the Petrescue site too.

That way it will show up in their stats.

(it's under 'post a public question' in the help area of the members section)

That's fine doing that but all of us who use PR will not see the answers, we all need to know what is going on and if our concerns are being looked into or is the site now complete and we just have to use what we have.

The publicly posted questions (at the PRescue site) are all visible to members and any member can post a followup question or supply an answer.

" quote MUTTRUS " > I thought Id check it out --From a ""wanting to adopt"" point of view I found the white background hit and miss----If the photo of the dogs was colourful and the dog took up the whole thumbnail photo it worked well BUT the white seemed to be more a burning glow and did hurt my eyes.

I found I had to go into advanced setting to click the state I was interested in which may get overlooked at first by most people and they only realise after first looking at so many clicking on reading etc only to find out they aren"t close enough ---Not an issue as such for interstate and those willing to travel but I THINK it would be a problem for most people.

The biggest thing that stood out was the page seemed to have too much going on.The dogs seemed to be smaller and not as dare I say in your face.I felt as though my eyes were being drawn to look around the page ---Abit like buying a magazine only to find it was full of advertising and none of the stories on the cover.

I did find myself needing to click too many times .I have no idea the difference you all seem to be having with the admin side But from a member of the public I have to say the original site was more user friendly ,kinder on the eyes --remember some people maybe going through alot of pages spending alot of time reading replying etc <<<<

:thumbsup:

although even when I click on advance search I get dogs from all states :confused:

Edited by griff

Why, oh why did they fix something that wasn't broken? The site worked beautifully before and it's almost impossible to navigate now. They should ditch the new website and go back to the way it was before.

You have to remember that, in terms of websites, changing times means there are better, easier ways for people to manage websites. What you see on the front doesn't always equal what is on the back. The term 'if ain't broke, don't fix it' should never apply to technology because there's always better upgrades coming out that need to be utilised and, sometimes, this means a drastic overhaul of the entire website. Think what your internet experience would be like if websites hadn't changed with the times in the past couple of decades.

However, a drastic overhaul should be about improving the website as a whole, testing every feature before going live, and not completely alienating your user base...

..... I know they asked for us all to email them, but, as I said no one else sees the reply and they would probably be answering the same question 100 times so seems logical for someone to come on here where we all are and we are the users of PR.

Maree

CPR

They do have their own problem reporting system - not as easy to use as DOL but it may help if everyone reporting issues here went over and added their issues to the Petrescue site too.

That way it will show up in their stats.

(it's under 'post a public question' in the help area of the members section)

That's fine doing that but all of us who use PR will not see the answers, we all need to know what is going on and if our concerns are being looked into or is the site now complete and we just have to use what we have.

The publicly posted questions (at the PRescue site) are all visible to members and any member can post a followup question or supply an answer.

I have seen this feature and some of the content . I still think this thread is a good way for rescuers to communicate about a very important change that is effecting just about every one of us. Judging by the feedback on here there are more than just a few teething problems. Our animals rely on this site to find homes so that more can be saved to take their place.

Also some of us may feel more comfortable airing the issues here rather than on the pr website where it would have to be more sugar and spice.

Edited by cryptic

I've just spent the better part of an afternoon adjusting our email filters so that PetRescue notifications and other emails actually get through to us.

Looks like PR have got themselves a new mail system as well as their new site... and our mail server decided to block their mail!

Might be worth looking into if you are having issues with getting any mail from them nowadays - and check in your junk/spam folders in your email client on your computer (or on your host for that matter).

As for the other issues everyone here are having, some of that stuff should be reasonably easily fixed if the backend database has been set up properly, and those supporting the site frontend know what they are doing.

what it is starting to look like is they hired a mob of geeks to make a flash and pretty site, but neglected to tell them exactly what they needed it to do. You have to really spell it all out when you are in the planning stages for it to go off without the hitches we are seeing right now.

From my side of things, I really can't see this new site being any faster, and certainly not "better" than the old one - things that used to be simple for those actually using it are now much more convoluted and take more time to get the results needed.

Who is responsible for the testing before it went live? And why was a rollback option not included if everything went pear shaped?

T.

I've just spent the better part of an afternoon adjusting our email filters so that PetRescue notifications and other emails actually get through to us.

Looks like PR have got themselves a new mail system as well as their new site... and our mail server decided to block their mail!

Might be worth looking into if you are having issues with getting any mail from them nowadays - and check in your junk/spam folders in your email client on your computer (or on your host for that matter).

As for the other issues everyone here are having, some of that stuff should be reasonably easily fixed if the backend database has been set up properly, and those supporting the site frontend know what they are doing.

what it is starting to look like is they hired a mob of geeks to make a flash and pretty site, but neglected to tell them exactly what they needed it to do. You have to really spell it all out when you are in the planning stages for it to go off without the hitches we are seeing right now.

From my side of things, I really can't see this new site being any faster, and certainly not "better" than the old one - things that used to be simple for those actually using it are now much more convoluted and take more time to get the results needed.

Who is responsible for the testing before it went live? And why was a rollback option not included if everything went pear shaped?

T.

Thats interesting. I have had one email and one phone enquiry in the last month. I have 6 dogs listed on the site.

I met with a potential adopter last night - she complained about the new Petrescue site. She said it came up with listings after listings after listings & gave up :(

I mentioned the Advance Search button & she just shrugged her shoulder and said the whole thing 'just got too hard'.

She found my dog through my Facebook page.

I don't get calls about any of my dogs now. The enquiry line just seems to of dried up.

The dogs are just sitting in foster care with no enquiries & we are unable to take on any further poundies. :cry:

I now really feel for the new lot of dogs coming into the pounds...

Are the Petrescue listings going to the trading post any more? Just a thought...

T.

Apart from getting the odd random enquiry from the Trading Post for dogs that were re-homed a year ago.i have never had a dog adopted from a trading post enquiry. Not sure what other experience other rescuers have had with the TP but mine are very average. .

I didn't like any of the enquiries from the Trading Post. And it's half the reason I had to take my number off PetRescue.

The other half owing to people from Facebook groups trawling through the Rescue Directory, calling at stupid o'clock, asking us to take dogs from pounds.

I actually hate the fact that I have to list my phone number on Pet Rescue now. I work full time and I can't answer all the calls I get during the day. Returning the calls is costing me a fortune. It was much easier when people had to send an email. Most of the enquiries are simple and could be dealt with by email, but all those ten minute return calls are having a big effect on my mobile bill.

I didn't like any of the enquiries from the Trading Post. And it's half the reason I had to take my number off PetRescue.

The other half owing to people from Facebook groups trawling through the Rescue Directory, calling at stupid o'clock, asking us to take dogs from pounds.

Ok guys what are we going to do about this, it is not working and PR must listen to what we are saying, as I mentioned in a previous post, dogs will die in the pounds now because none are moving out to make room, any suggestions as to where we go from here.

It cannot stay this way, especially as CPR animals are seriously being disadvantaged as we are listed 12th on the ACT listings and we have the most animals listed, people who persevere tell us that it is a nightmare looking for a dog in the ACT.

Maree

CPR

Messages on Pet Rescue. I believed these enquiries were a duplication of what was being sent to our email address. But looking at them we have not received all of them. I'm not sure if some are coming through or people are also sending separately to our email address.

Has anyone worked this out. Or are you reply directly to the enquiries on Pet Rescue.