The New Pet Rescue Site?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest muttrus

I didn"t do our website a lovely website designer did it as a donation he listened to what I wanted sat with me ran me through it .If I want to change things I call him and he fixes it .He has called me on a number of times since we"ve had our website asking if Im happy or he"s noticed something no longer working or needed and offers to change or fix it .

I handle the blog which is within the website NOW while I know its not as big or complex as PRS website my point is we fixed things as soon as the appeared so wouldn"t PRS designer be able to do the same? and if so why take so long?

I tried doing a random search last night I did the advance setting but even after I ticked the box when I went to the next page I had to again re tick what I was searching for I also noticed it did seem like too many clicks and if I wanted to know I had click something else again.

I feel for you all with the phone calls I don"t do text shorthand so my texts end up over 4 messages long with kids its a sure thing as soon as someone rings kids talk louder or want something even walking up the back yard sets neighbours yappers off which people then hear and think mmmmm barky dogs hahahhaha

Although we are on a cheap mobile call from the home phone my bill jumps higher

SO clearly PR are reading this thread and all points are made clear has there been any feedback as to wether the issues are being addressed? and if so which ones first? or a time frame? Maybe those with your own website may need to add a notice saying due to unforseen circumstances beyond our control we are experiencing some pet rescue website ????? for a faster reply to all animal enquiries please send an email to??? would that help?

I'm happy to spend a bit of time on the weekend and collate the issues raised in this thread and post them on the Pet Rescue support page. Or we could just direct Pet Rescue to this thread.

It would be really interesting to get some feedback on the user experience; we listed a small, young, fluffy, female dog earlier in the week and we've had one application for her. Normally we'd expect several.

I just went to Pet Rescue as a user and not a rescuer and tried to search for a dog. I'm using Firefox. I clicked on "small" but it kept reverting to "all" and I ended up with over 3000 listings. In fact no matter what search I tried I ended up with the same number of dogs.

Then I went to Internet Explorer and discovered that things like the search button don't even appear in Firefox. Since Firefox accounts for about 22% of browsers out there, you can probably assume that that little issue already cuts out a fifth of possible adopters.

The upside is, if anyone here teaches IT project management or the importance of stakeholder engagement in project management, you've got a classic, contemporary case study right here.

I just went to Pet Rescue as a user and not a rescuer and tried to search for a dog. I'm using Firefox. I clicked on "small" but it kept reverting to "all" and I ended up with over 3000 listings. In fact no matter what search I tried I ended up with the same number of dogs.

Then I went to Internet Explorer and discovered that things like the search button don't even appear in Firefox. Since Firefox accounts for about 22% of browsers out there, you can probably assume that that little issue already cuts out a fifth of possible adopters.

Good idea Aphra -

A basic search for small dogs in NSW works for me using Safari on Mac .. I don't have Chrome installed and hope to not have to download it just for one website...

Edit ... ignore the rest ... I just didn't understand that I was actually looking at the result .... I was expecting a list, not a patchwork of tiny images .... doh.

Possibly related .. or not ...

The daily pedigreeadoptiondrive tweets have links to the dog of the day - and they work.

https://twitter.com/PedigreeAdopDve

The adopt-a-dog search on the pedigreeadoptiondrive page won't work for me. I wonder is this related to the changes in the petrescue site (I assume it's just a hook into the Petrescue database).

Edited by dwynwen

I find the new search feature much slower to use too. Before it was just 3 clicks and search, and that was it. Rather than reducing the amount of clicks involved, they've increased, which isn't good web developing. Not to mention that the light grey font they now use for the search features makes it nearly impossible to see the text, which further complicates the search. I shouldn't have to move my head around in order to read the different options.

When updating a site, it should be simplified as much as possible, meaning making it more intuitive, faster and easier to use, and reducing the amount of clicks needed to get where you want.

I can't understand why the state option is now part of the advanced search. The old search feature had everything that was needed, and there was no reason to change it. Even if they changed the site, they should have kept the search feature the way it was.

Yes, I agree with all of this. Which is why it was so easy to recommend the PR site to new users. No explanations needed on how to use the site... it was easy and self-evident, needing only 3 clicks. Now I find I have to do some explaining...like with the State option being on the advanced search. All was sufficient before, for people to find their way around...the profiles they picked from the initial search, told them the exact location. So no need for the 'within kilometres' option in the advanced search.

In fact, the ease of search was one of the outstanding features of the original PetRescue site. With the profiles' formats then giving all the info a person would need to follow up on a dog.

I'm happy to spend a bit of time on the weekend and collate the issues raised in this thread and post them on the Pet Rescue support page. Or we could just direct Pet Rescue to this thread.

It would be really interesting to get some feedback on the user experience; we listed a small, young, fluffy, female dog earlier in the week and we've had one application for her. Normally we'd expect several.

The upside is, if anyone here teaches IT project management or the importance of stakeholder engagement in project management, you've got a classic, contemporary case study right here.

Thank you Aphra I think it would be a great idea to collate all the issues and start from there.

They need as a matter of urgency to get rid of most of the 48 rescue groups listed under the ACT

Maree

CPR

GRRRR!!! This is bloody ridiculous! I've had to resort to sending a support ticket to the webhost to see if they can unblock the bloody things...

Oh - and they are also blocking email from DOL now too - so I asked them to unblock that too... *sigh*

Now you know why I have a gmail account...

I've got a thumping headache now... gonna check the ticket status in the morning, OK?

T.

T can you contact PR and convince them with IT language that they should revert to the old site, if they can, until the worst issues are fixed?

My question is simpler. Didn't the old site have a link almost on the front page (maybe just one or two clicks) to the advice for people wanting to rehome their dog? I looked for that today for someone who should read it and it took a long time to find, and then the 'click here' didn't have a link anyway. Small beer but annoying when I had someone on the spot who may have been receptive to what I remember as pretty good advice.

They won't revert to the old site. And there's no need for them too, either. They just need to make this one readable, functional, and manageable.

Considering the HTML and CSS is already there, it's only a matter of tweaking some of the coding to get it to work, changing the style (because it's awful), and finding a colour scheme that works.

God knows why this wasn't released as a Beta alongside the original design to ensure all bugs were weeded out.

Just wondering has anybody sent an email through to PR because i have applied for a new account for hawkesbury pound and

i have been ignored so far. Its been 6 days and ive heard nothing so just wondering if its me or if they just take ages to

get back to everyone???

I've been corresponding with PR about our email bounce problem - which may now be fixed may I add.

It looks like our web/mail host suddenly decided that it didn't like any email from DOL and PR - so I ended up having to raise a ticket with the host to unblock at a higher level than I could access from the control panel. What a nightmare!

T.

I tried last night to try sending an email enquiry from PR to myself and am still waiting.......

But I went into messages on PR site and it was there along with a couple of other enquiries also that didnt get sent to my email.

Whatever the problem is I hope it gets fixed soon...........