Mandy The Greyhound In Good Hands After Factory Fire

k9angel

LIMP and almost lifeless, greyhound Mandy was carried from a factory blaze yesterday.

A firefighter took her from the burning building before paramedics then worked on the dog for almost an hour, supplying her with oxygen and providing fluids.

Mandy was found under a dressing table close to where the fire had taken hold in the two-storey Fantasy Futon factory on Shepherd St, Marrickville in Sydney's inner west shortly after 11am.

A number of people were evacuated, including a 46-year-old man believed to be the factory owner who was taken to Concord Hospital in a serious condition with burns to his head and left arm.

Fire and Rescue Superintendent Tom Cooper said Mandy was found during a second search of the building.

"Firefighters and ambulance officers administered oxygen and it looks like she might be OK," Supt Cooper said.

Sandy Macken was among four paramedics who worked for 45 minutes to save four-year-old Mandy.

"She was unconscious, breathing really fast, pounding heart and quite stiff in her body and she had a vacant stare," Ms Macken said. "It is the first time I've rescued a dog but we discussed the treatment and what would be appropriate for the dog and its size.

"We treated her the same as you would a human for smoke inhalation and dehydration."

She said they assisted Mandy with her breathing and provided her with oxygen and fluids.

"It was lovely to see the dog improve, especially when the owner turned up. As it improved the dog was licking my hand and holding its head up. It was lovely," she said.

"Fingers crossed that Mandy is OK in the coming days."

Mandy was taken to the University Veterinary Teaching Hospital in Camperdown for further treatment.

Vet Dr Jaeyoon Park said Mandy was taken straight to ICU where she was administered oxygen, and underwent tests. "She was quite stable but weak. We could smell smoke from her body," Dr Park said.

He said she would be intensively monitored overnight and her condition reassessed this morning but she would likely remain in their care until the end of the week.

"At this stage I think she's doing better than worse. I still have hope for her but it's too early to say," he said.

The blaze was not believed to be suspicious.

8005588122_8b7b7f245d.jpg

8005588228_bd71fd2ed7.jpg

8005588322_32da6b30ed.jpg

This made me all teary, especially looking at those photo's.

A huge thumbsup to the firemen and paramedics for rescuing Mandy. :thumbsup:

I saw her on the news tonight and the vet says she should be able to go home tommorow. :) :) :)

:cry: I wonder why she was alone in a factory. :confused: Greyhounds are not often used as guard dogs.

I didn't read it as she was alone in the factory - they said a number of people were evacuated, and she was found under a dressing table on the second search. I read it as she was at work with her owner

:cry: I wonder why she was alone in a factory. :confused: Greyhounds are not often used as guard dogs.

I didn't read it as she was alone in the factory - they said a number of people were evacuated, and she was found under a dressing table on the second search. I read it as she was at work with her owner

Oh I thought she was alone as it said " it was lovely to see the dog improve, especially when her owner turned up".

Good to see that Sydney Uni Vet School treated Mandy for free.

"Vets at Sydney University's Veterinary Teaching Hospital treated Mandy free of charge, covered by money from their Animals In Need community fundraising program."

She is a greyhound! Lol sorry bit OT but on the news here it said she was a whippet. I thought wow thats a huge whippet.

LOL yeah I heard that too, thought it was funny, even the reporter (john Mangos) when he said whippet seemed to think twice about it but still said it, I guess the tele-prompt writer didn't know the difference :D

Very glad she is doing well now :)