Litters Due December 2012

Monteba

I also had a smaller part of the pen, so that mum could jump in and out, but the puppies could not, allows mum time away from the puppies and also allows her to leave them safely.

I also had a time when I came home and had puppies out of the penned area, two inside and mum inside, though not concerned as the puppies were about 5 weeks, so she was quite happy to only have 2 in with her! :laugh:

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when the puppies were old enough, I had a penned off area inside the house and had my french doors open onto my back decking that was penned off, with again a smaller area, so mum could jump out into the backyard...could this be an option, the only downside is flies in the house!!!

Can you put lino down in one of the bedrooms, have the puppy pen in half of the room and a lower panel so mum can get out of the pen but the room door closed so she can't escape from the room? (or maybe a couple of baby gates across the door if you need air to circulate.

Unfortunately my rooms are not big enough to do that (well any room that I can shut a door in). I just went home and she was nice and relaxed with the pups, pen not even moved, so that's a good sign. I would just hate to come home and find mum or pups hurt... also having mum stressed like that every time housemate is home is not good for her or pups IMO... Argh... so frustrating. I had two friends that Z has not met before come home with me at lunch and she was all over them like a wet rag greeting and giving them cuddles... so it's not like she has a problem with people seeing pups!

Dogs can pick up on a lot of vibes, trust their instinct, there is something astray with your housemate,if more than one dog has an aversion to him.

If you ever get the chance find the book, "Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home", pretty sure that is the title, by Rupert Sheldrake.

Yes this is my concern... odd that dogs who are often so good with people and have no issues (anyone who has met my dogs can attest to how friendly they are)can have such an aversion to one person... and multiple dogs too...

Can you put lino down in one of the bedrooms, have the puppy pen in half of the room and a lower panel so mum can get out of the pen but the room door closed so she can't escape from the room? (or maybe a couple of baby gates across the door if you need air to circulate.

Unfortunately my rooms are not big enough to do that (well any room that I can shut a door in). I just went home and she was nice and relaxed with the pups, pen not even moved, so that's a good sign. I would just hate to come home and find mum or pups hurt... also having mum stressed like that every time housemate is home is not good for her or pups IMO... Argh... so frustrating. I had two friends that Z has not met before come home with me at lunch and she was all over them like a wet rag greeting and giving them cuddles... so it's not like she has a problem with people seeing pups!

Dogs can pick up on a lot of vibes, trust their instinct, there is something astray with your housemate,if more than one dog has an aversion to him.

If you ever get the chance find the book, "Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home", pretty sure that is the title, by Rupert Sheldrake.

Yes this is my concern... odd that dogs who are often so good with people and have no issues (anyone who has met my dogs can attest to how friendly they are)can have such an aversion to one person... and multiple dogs too...

can they be moved to ana's? just another alternative

Thanks everyone for their suggestions, seems that the puppies great escape may have been a once off.. The last two days they have all remained in their pens. My housemate situation should sort itself out once he moves out in the next couple of weeks and in the meantime he has offered to stay elsewhere in that time if necessary (not yet..)

2 of my fav photos of my kids :)

first one is our little girl Twist FKA Fattie lmao and the other one is our little boy Bazinga FKA Squeak! I haven't got too many of Bubbles atm as she can be camera shy lmao!!

Hope everyone is coping well in the heat the bubs are coming to work with me tomorrow so they can have the A/C in the car and in one of the rooms whilst I work out back.. hopefully make the day a bit nicer for the lot of us.. don't wanna loose anyone to the heat thank gosh for good bosses!

post-5828-0-69782500-1357555995_thumb.jpg

post-5828-0-72970300-1357555996_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

has anyone ever had an issue with a pup not eating once all the siblings have flown the nest? Last puppy left Sunday morning and that's the last time Koda had a decent meal. Ate like a horse when his littermates were here and that's the only thing that has changed. If any of the pups ever 'missed' a meal, they would eat voraciously at the next feed time! Mum is still with me as are all the other adult dogs. Bright and happy otherwise.

Diet has not changed - it's the same as it's always been. Nibbled at sunday lunch, ate part of his dinner, happily ate the bone I gave him when I put him to bed in the crate sunday night. Monday morning didn't eat breakfast - didn't worry me too much as the bone was quite big so figured he may be full. He was left with no food when I went to work on Monday. Monday night, came home, fed him - in the presence of other dogs and no other dogs - no difference. Not eating other than licking at the food. Fed him at bed time - dry mix again, nibbled but nothing else. I gave him nothing and his tummy is very much empty and still won't eat this morning.

Suggestions?! Not concerned health wise as he is very healthy and bright, but he obviously needs to eat and being so young it concerns me... He sniffs the food, has a couple of mouthfuls and then goes around trying to play - with other dogs put away, he does the same then goes off to lie down somewhere etc etc. Crate doesn't help - he just goes to sleep or plays with his toy as opposed to eating the food. Hand feeding (training) sniffs/ licks food, occasionally eats it but more interested in the wide world...

ETA - he can't be eating off mum either as she's dried up. :)

Edited by leopuppy04

Were the puppies eating out of separate bowls away from ecah other for some time before they left? Eating is a social thing, it is for people too!!

yup - they all had their own separate bowls :). I'm trying to use the adults for company but it doesn't seem to be helping :(