Rescued Dog, Toilet Issues - Need Help

Isabel964

In July my mother, in her 60's rescued an 11 month old heeler mix. Mum has an existing 12 year old kelpie. They are both inside/outside dogs. Mum is home most of every day and the dogs are in the garden all day. They get 2 long walks every day. Morning and early evening. They get time in the garden before bed time. There is no doggy door for them to let themselves out.

She is generally a good dog, very affectionate and eager to please. However, since 13 August (over a month after she started living with my mother) she has now got up in the night from the bedroom where we all sleep, and goes to the toilet in the lounge and study, never on consecutive days, but now 6 times, usually between 3 to 5 days apart. Last night she left piles in both the lounge and the study.

Up to recently my mother showed the dog the crime scene, told her that was bad, but did not punish her, instead sent her outside. On the last two occasions she gave her a little whack and put her outside. This morning she looked very guilty, knowing what my mother would find in the lounge room.

Need advice?

Is a doggy door the answer? These are big dogs and I don't think my mother would feel safe have a gap that big...a human could fit through.

Also, it strikes me as strange that this dog has started this behaviour after 5 weeks of being with my mother....not immediately, so its not as if she came with this ...'habit'.

Edited: Corrected post because she is only 11 months old (I live in a different city and have not met this dog), apparently Pet Rescue had her listed as 18 months old at one point.

Edited by Sky

She isn't looking guilty - she knows your mother will get mad and is trying to appease her.

Treat her like you would a pup. Take her outside to toilet every 2 hours (onlead) and about 10 - 15 mins after meals. Praise her gently when she goes to the toilet.

If this is only happening in the morning then maybe she is being asked to hold on for too long? Is she let out to toilet (on the lead so your mum can check she goes) before bedtime? How late is this? How early is she let out in the morning?

Don't scold her for making mistakes. She is still learning and it isn't her fault.

Dogs that get told off for weeing inside can associate going to the loo = bad things happen so they try to hide their toileting, which doesn't resolve the issue.

I agree, maybe the food is going straight through her?

She could try feeding earlier, or main meal in the morning? perhaps just a wing at night.

Crate to sleep in for a while?

At that age i would presume they can hold it all night.

Check the food first.

Unfortunately as you are not on site I think all you can do is point her to a resource. If you can get her to do anything, please get her to stop telling the dog off inside and try and catch the dog doing the right thing outside and praise and treat. This is a good website:

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/house-training-adult-dogs

Just wanted to thank you all so much. Mum is switching to morning feeds. She is a also taking the dog for a vet check, even she had one not so long ago. She also is trying tying a bell to the dog's collar at bedtime so mum wakes up when the dogs stats moving around the house. If it doesn't get resolved soon I will send a behaviourist/trainer out there. Let me know if there are any recommendations in Perth.

I would crate train her

or keep her tethered with hooks screwed into a few convenient places round the house...she is not to wander

every repetition of an accident is teaching her its ok to toilet inside

you have to break the cycle

use biozet laundry powder dissolved in water to clean the area

use cold water first then warm for poo ( and vomit)...cold to dissolve the protein and warm to dissolve the fat ...dont use warm first cos it will set the protein

biozet gets rid of all the urine particles too

dogs cant remember much after the incident so unless caught in the act its pretty useless to scold even and theres no guilt anyway...defaecating is all good and natural to them

the crating may take time..maybe up to a week but id put up with the howling and be determined

is a good idea to get up to toilet

dogs can hold on to wee better than poo...so when they have to go...they have to go~

have just been having a similar problem with our newest arrival Benjamin Dog..who had been in a shelter for over 12 months poor little chappie.

WE confined him to safe places when not under our supervision.. to the extent of preventing acces to various rooms.. baby gates and bits of wood across doorways for the moment. lots of walking outside praising if seen doing his business outside. The only sharp correction was when he was caught marking inside on the carpet on the first night..

here is our own little cutie patootie

never thought i would have a little non maremma LOL

h

post-908-0-24127200-1348832497_thumb.jpg