Blind Puppy

Bartok

There is somone on one of my Facebook forums who is raising a blind Pyr pup in the US.

The video's of what they are doing and their progress with her have been interesting.

If you need a contact (or the person taking her needs a contact) and I probably provide something so you can get in touch.

My brother in law has a staffy cross which went suddenly blind at age 4/5, she has SARDS (i think).

It took a few months for her to adjust, house was completely safe proofed and nothing is ever moved. She has now learnt the layout of the house and where things are. She navigates well and is even playing "fetch" again (sort of).

Was the dog born blind or developed blindness?

A client recently asked me to help her rehome an 8 week old blind great dane puppy. She ended up finding it a home locally. I can put you in touch with the person who now owns the dog if you like, obviously the size difference would make a difference. This pup was born blind.

I have to say, I can understand why some say that its unethical. I didn't agree with rehoming the blind great dane puppy, especially if he wasn't going to a home who was experienced with special needs dogs. He is going to be a huge dog who can't see where he is going. I think decision needs to be made with the emotion taken out of the equation.

My brother in law has a staffy cross which went suddenly blind at age 4/5, she has SARDS (i think).

It took a few months for her to adjust, house was completely safe proofed and nothing is ever moved. She has now learnt the layout of the house and where things are. She navigates well and is even playing "fetch" again (sort of).

Was the dog born blind or developed blindness?

Yet to be assessed by the vet as it is being surrendered to a group.

Our underestanding is blind from birth, but yet to be established.

Yes a LOT more difficult than a deaf pup from what I understand and takes a LOT more work. A blind pup is a LOT more dependant on their owners. Everything is a major challenge including 'simple' things like negotiating even one step up or down (the Pyr pup has from what I have seen had several severe panic attacks when it has managed to get itself onto the slightly raised fireplace surround in their loungeroom and then can't work out how to get down. They are teaching it to negotiate steps but it is a long and slow process as they have to teach the dog to step into nothingness - they dont have the benefit of a cane etc to guide them like humans do). Different dogs may react differently, but it is I would suspect a lot more of a full on job than a deaf dog or even one that has gone blind later on. I too would be VERY careful about placing such a dog and do agree in some if not most cases euthanasia may be the best option.

Wasn't there a blind foster with a thread on here called "Stevie"? A GSD maybe?

I would personally consider a blind pup had better prospects than a deaf one, but wouldn't automatically consider pts. Sight is not necessarily a primary sense for a dog like it is for humans, having scent and hearing would be a major advantage. :shrug:

They do learn to manage. I have heard of 2 that went blind young. Both were puppy enquirers who had previous poodles with PRA & lost them to old age. So they cope obviously.

I agree to PTS a pup born blind but this dog is 6 months old, not in pain & its here & alive now. Hope something works out for it & someone kind takes him/her.

Sorry, but I find it totally unethical to try to home a blind or for that matter a deaf puppy. Older dogs cope fine if they go blind and get to stay in their own home environment but to start out with a blind puppy is an entirely different matter.

If a puppy is born blind, it expects that that is how life it, and uses the other senses to overcome blindness. Dogs cannot miss what they never had.

I reared a blind foal taught it to lead, lunge, be handled, brushed, washed etc. She thrived - with some concessions - and was put down due to old age.

I don't think there would be a lot of difference. She was not unhappy.

I know of a number of deaf dogs doing extremely well in agility. It makes absolutely no difference if they can hear or not as the dogs work off the handler's body language. Most of these dogs have been rescues (one, a cattle pup purchased from a farm was not known to be deaf at time of purchase) and they have the best of lives which is full of stimulation. And most of these rescues were not pups. In my opinion, it makes little difference if a pup/dog can hear or not (with some obvious exception - it's hard to train the recall etc.) It all depends on the level of committment and understanding of the owner. Congratulations to those who put in that extra effort and save a dog with physical limitation and give it a great life.

I tried to reply earlier and somehow was inept at making my post work!

Have a search for Kirty's threads on Stevie the blind GSD pup, they may be useful to you.

Personally I would find a blind dog easier than a deaf dog - but that's just from the experience I've had!

If it is going to foster I'd certainly be looking for a house that has an existing dog and preferably someone who has dealt with a dog with a disability before.

Sorry, but I find it totally unethical to try to home a blind or for that matter a deaf puppy. Older dogs cope fine if they go blind and get to stay in their own home environment but to start out with a blind puppy is an entirely different matter.

I breed a deaf puppy and rehomed him to a friend when he was about 16 weeks old. I was quite prepared to keep him myself and train him, but she fell in love. He is now 15 months old. Dev is great at obedience - far better than his hearing brother. He is quite a character though and if he's had enough he will turn his head away and refuse to look. He lives a full life with two other dogs and a variety of farm animals and misses nothing. He is friendly to all and has never "turned aggressive" because he was touch when asleep or unaware someone was behind him. In fact he doesn't react at all to being touched or woken from sleep.

He doesn't know he's any different to any other dog. I refuse to kill a perfectly happy and healthy puppy for other peoples gratification.

This is him and his brother out on the local walkway. His T-Shirt reads 'Deaf As - but my owner still [heart] me"

post-141-0-46507900-1348892227_thumb.jpg

My grandfather had a collie rough - blind from birth. Eventually ended up trialling both him and his full sighted brother in obedience. Blind dog was a superstar - I forget what titles he earned, but there were certainly a few of them Hard work - absolutely. Happy, healthy dog - definately. I think as long as people are aware that it will be challenging at times and they're prepared for it, a blind or deaf puppy deserves a chance.

No one owns a dog to suit others gratification,nor would they need to pts to please others.It's about the dog and the owners resposibility to the dog.They have to decide if they can give a disabled dog a good quality of life or find someone willing and able to do so.If not or the animal is suffering in any way then they should pts ,hard as it is.