Reccomendations For Boarding Kennels In Goulburn Area

Wolfhound Lover

Hi All,

I need to go up to Orange in a few weekends time and wanted to board my two wolfhound crosses in the Goulburn area.

I've googled and come up two boarding kennels - Pawtails and Whispering Pines.

I've done a quick search here for comments/recommendations but results were dated back to 2007/8.

I wondered if anyone had any comments re which one they prefer or any experiences they would like to share?

My pups usually get boarded at Yass Pets and I've been very happy with them. This time around I didn't want to take the detour to Yass as I'll be driving up (as opposed to hubby) so I want to reduce the amount of time I'm behind the wheel.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Thanks!

Is whispering pines the one that has a pet cemetery on site? I drive past one on the way tocanberra and it makes me laugh every time. No way would I board my dogs in a place that advertised boarding and cremation/burial on the same sign!

Hi Wolfhound lover. I live in Goulburn. I have sent you a PM.

For those who are interested, I recommend rovers retreat as the kennels are huge and individual. The exercise yard is also large and the dogs are exercised for free. The owners are very lovely and will often sit in the exercise areas with the dogs as they are true doggy people. They offer a shuttle service as well and will follow any instructions you give them. I have a very shy dog and the fact she goes to them wagging her tail is proof of their kind natures.

I boarded 3 dogs at Rovers for 10 hours, 2 Irish Wolfhound and 1 Aussie Terrier. One Irish wolfhound died the next day of heatstroke as a result of being shut in a brick kennel he couldn't get out. In fairness, Rovers Retreat paid the $2300 vet bills so you can be sure you won't be out of pocket. Up to you if you think these are good odds.

Edited for spelling, I still break my heart every time I see my poor Tigger dead in a pool of blood.

Edited by kinsella

I boarded 3 dogs at Rovers for 10 hours, 2 Irish Wolfhound and 1 Aussie Terrier. One Irish wolfhound died the next day of heatstroke as a result of being shut in a brick kennel he couldn't get out. In fairness, Rovers Retreat paid the $2300 vet bills so you can be sure you won't be out of pocket. Up to you if you think these are good odds.

Edited for spelling, I still break my heart every time I see my poor Tigger dead in a pool of blood.

So sorry for your loss. :(

We have been using them for the last 4 years and have never had any trouble, including friends of ours who have 3 great Danes.

ETA each kennel has air con and heating and both our dogs have stayed there when it was hot and cold.

I'm not sure what you mean though about the dogs being shut in a brick kennel as the dogs have free access to the yard? If that is true, did you report them to the RSPCA/council?

Edited by poochmad

Any air con was put in after my dog died. Yes, there is a yard attached to each kennel with a drop down door. The door in Tigger's kennel was 24 inches high, Tigger was 37 1/2 at the shoulder. Yes, it is true. Yes the RSPCA were involved for over a year before letting the matter slide. They never once took a statement from us and the end result was "too hard to prove" plus he had already had to spend too much money fitting coolers etc. Plus, he paid my vet bill, what more did I want?