Crumbly Ear Edges

parrotpea

I am fostering a rescue dog at the moment(my first foster dog :)), and I gave her a bath after bringing her home. This afternoon while patting her, I noticed she had some little hard bits around the edges of her ears, I thought it was mud, and went to crumble it off, but I had a closer look at the piece that came off - and it was a bit of dead dry skin, still with fur in it! And she has this nearly all the way around her ears!

I have emailed the foster co-ordinator, but I just wanted to see if anyone here knows what it is, and if it could be something fungal - or catching - as I have another dog.

I can't see any other spots on her which are similarly affected. I will stick some betadine on it. The foster care co-ordinator suggested that it is a fairly common occurence after neglect :(

she is being very loved now and on a premium dog food, and spending most of her time inside so I will keep an eye on it and get it checked out by vet if it's not clearing up in another day or two :) (she has only been with me for two days)

Sounds like it might be fly bites but without seeing a picture.. :shrug:

We've found that one drop of Advocate on the outside of the ear (for drop-earred breeds, just down from the fold) seems to reduce the problem a bit and some Panalog around the edges will stop them from stratching it into more of a mess.

We only ever see it on white/lighter coloured dogs though (pink skin shows through the fur and attracts the flies).

Either way, best to see your vet- fairly sure the Panalog is by script only.