Dog Crate/cages

janisw

Hi all. I am wondering what are the requirment for a dog crate / cage for me.

I have a bull terrier who is destroying the place & I am ripping my hair out :cry: I need a strong cage im aware of that. I will need one with a little room to move as she doesnt like them much & I dont want to have her in a realy stressed in a to small closed off area.

She is 1 yr old so a bit bigger than a average grown staffy ( size indication for you)

are the evilbay ones okay or do i need to look elsewhere & where do i look to buy???? :thumbsup:

what are the requirments you found you needed with crate/ cages.

Any ideas on places to buy please . I am in Vic. :confused:

Maybe a secure outdoor dog run would be better? I worry that an unhappy/stressed/frustrated dog shut in a crate will hurt itself :(

Have you done any crate training in the past? A bit of investment in making a dog love its crate can make a big difference :)

A crate that is just big enough for your dog to stand up straight and turn around is often better than a bigger one, it seems to make them feel more relaxed, like they're in a den. Make sure you spend some time getting her used to the crate and making it her safe place - the Crate Games dvd may be a good investment. For wire crates, Vebo Pet Supplies do quite good ones, or High Four. Both will deliver, and if you happen to live near Melton you can go to High Four and pick it up yourself. I have one from High Four set up in my car atm, and it does the job.

ETA that Weasels has a good point - if you want somewhere for her to spend a lot of time, say when you are away for hours, maybe a secure run would be better.

Edited by LappieHappy

Thanks guys, Its not something she will spend alot of time in. I will be doing crate training and its only while she is supervised.

Out side she has the run of the yard but its inisde she causes the damage. She is never left inisde while im out. Cant be trusted lol.

I will look up both places mentioned. Thanks :thumbsup:

I recommend the vebo pet crates too, make sure you get one you can either see in the flesh, or have recommendations for - I made the mistake of buying a cheapie one, and took a chunk of my scalp out when putting my head inside the crate as there were wire ends that hadn't been trimmed. Lucky my dog was still little at the time, as he could have really hurt himself getting in and out of there :(

I recommend the vebo pet crates too, make sure you get one you can either see in the flesh, or have recommendations for - I made the mistake of buying a cheapie one, and took a chunk of my scalp out when putting my head inside the crate as there were wire ends that hadn't been trimmed. Lucky my dog was still little at the time, as he could have really hurt himself getting in and out of there :(

OUCHHHH , that had to hurt.

This is why i asked here so i dont end up with the same outcome.

Only big enough to be in is not always best. One of my poodles stresses in a carry cage or anything small. She rarely has to be in one but when she does have to be crated like with very young pups I put her in a huge crate off the back of a ute & put a smaller bed in it. That way she is contained but not feeling trapped. Its 4.5 x4 feet & came from a salvage yard. Turned upside down on the floor & I made a door. Its so strong. They have some interesting things & often extra strong wire panels which can be joined/welded in salvage places. I would be hunting around.

Thanks everyone. Yes she does sneak items outside & chew them when im at home. I try to keep her confined to the lounge room where i am or i can see her . She took off with my remote for the TV the other day & I found it outside. $75 later. :mad

She has plenty of toys & chew toys to keep her busy. we walk alot & play outside alot. She is hyperactive and i can only do so much but if im busy & cant see her i can crate her while im home & hope she will grow out of the destroying mode. :pray:

I have a couple im looking at and i need to be able to move it around.

hope she will grow out of the destroying mode.:pray:

Maybe .......

..she also needs to be TAUGHT which items she can have .. and crating her won't really do this ...

if she is, however attached to you via a lead ..you can be there to guide her ..and channel her activity /interest into things she IS allowed :) You also both get to know each other's moves/body language really well .

hope she will grow out of the destroying mode.:pray:

Maybe .......

..she also needs to be TAUGHT which items she can have .. and crating her won't really do this ...

if she is, however attached to you via a lead ..you can be there to guide her ..and channel her activity /interest into things she IS allowed :) You also both get to know each other's moves/body language really well .

Thanks, thats right but she knows she isnt allowed in the bedrooms full stop yet she sneaks there & takes what ever. After yesterdays effort, i was so mad i kicked her out of the house for a long time while the other 2 were inside. Since then she has come in & done what she is told & also really careful not to touch anything.

They say dogs dont remember but this one does & she knows the rules & she knew what she was outside for. :) more training i know. :)