Best Brush To Remove Hair From A King Charles Cav

RM please call her by the correct name. :) Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. She is probably losing puppy coat at the moment but Cavaliers do shed quite a lot. I don't like using Furminators on them as they tend to cut the coat. A rubber mitt is very useful for getting coat out and they usually like the feeling of a bit of a massage with it. You can also use the mitt on the carpet to pick up hair.

No I like Coat King for an adult coat on a Cav that needs thinning a bit. I bought a Furminator years ago and didn't like it so gave it to me daughter for her cat.

Yes you can buy rubber mitts at pet shops and cheapie shops. They are cheap. :)

Guest Arcane

I'm not a fan of the furminator either. While it may not 'cut' the coat it leaves micro abrasions down the hair shaft, a bit like if you run scissors down a piece of ribbon. The first time you do it you probably wont do much damage, but if you do it over & over you will start to get frayed edges & a weakened material which may break. The furminator does that to each & every hair as it runs through/over the coat. Most pet owners over use the furminator and end up with brittle frazzled dull looking hairs, or even bald spots.

A good slicker brush & a fine/medium steel comb both with polished pins, a rubber brush, with regular thorough grooming a good technique is my preference. If there is excessive fuzzy hairs on the head, back, fronts of legs etc my preference is to thumb & finger pluck it out. Of course a good blow dry after a bath will remove a lot of dead coat as well.

This particular puppy is probably in coat change which is a time of excessive coat drop.

I have a few combs with rotating teeth that pull the undercoat out without damaging the coat. They don't pull on the coat. One of my combs has fine close together rotating teeth and the others have various, wider rotating teeth width. I use the wider ones first and finish with the fine rotating teeth comb then a good brush through.

Rosiesmum would you mind editing the title of your post heading to show the correct breed of the dog please.

***Cavalier King Charles Spaniel*** I'm another who really dislikes seeing the incorrect the name of the breed.

The King Charles Spaniel is a different breed from the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.