Unsettled After Whelping

Heidley

I have a GSD bitch who whelped her litter on 28/9/12, it was a difficult birth, she has been to the vet for a post whelp check up and has passed the one placenta that was retained. The pups are all thriving and putting on weight, a content brood.

Today my bitch seems unsettled wanting to go outside often and is digging behind a tree to create a nest? She is eating well, no issues with pooing or weeing, gum colour is good, temp is normal. We have no had visitors and only my Husband and I are attending to her and the bubs- no one else in the house except the other dogs who have all been kept seperate.

Have given some rescue remedy- seems to be working for the moment, how often can I give this to her? So any suggestions as to why she's so unsettled??

Some maiden bitches prefer to be in a den type arrangement with a hands off approach to help them settle. Sounds like she is looking for a better place to put her pups. Perhaps the whelping box with a table and sheet over the top (making a cave type den) will help her settle. A dark and quiet room.

Some maiden bitches prefer to be in a den type arrangement with a hands off approach to help them settle. Sounds like she is looking for a better place to put her pups. Perhaps the whelping box with a table and sheet over the top (making a cave type den) will help her settle. A dark and quiet room.

Very good advice.

Thank Ellz, have dosed her this afternoon as thought that might help.

Den has been contructed so we will wait and see. She hasn't tried to move the puppies yet and seems content while in with them just when she heads outside.

Thanks Jetpoint I hope she does the same as your bitch

I went through similar with my girl on her first litter last year and was told by others way more experienced than me that she was probably uncomfortable with the uterus contracting and felt like she was in labour. I *think* it was buscopan that was suggested to settle this for her, as it was she settled herself so I never tried it.

Hopefully someone will see this and will clarify further for you.

Jazz never tried to move her puppies either but would go nuts digging as soon as I took her outside. If anything more frantic than she had been pre puppies.

I went through similar with my girl on her first litter last year and was told by others way more experienced than me that she was probably uncomfortable with the uterus contracting and felt like she was in labour. I *think* it was buscopan that was suggested to settle this for her, as it was she settled herself so I never tried it.

Hopefully someone will see this and will clarify further for you.

Jazz never tried to move her puppies either but would go nuts digging as soon as I took her outside. If anything more frantic than she had been pre puppies.

Yes, Buscopan can help to reduce the pain as the uterus contracts and usually settles them down. They dig because it still feels like labour pains in badly affected bitches. Our vets are repro vets and recommend using it.

I had a bitch who on her 3rd litter was very unsettled (was never like it before), after a trip to the vets and trying valium for a few day nothing was working.

Spoke to an old breeder and she said give her more Oxy, gave her some and she settled within 10in.

We've given her biscopan and been to the vet, she does have mastitis and had commenced on antibiotics. Seems a little more settled overall, likes her den area now to wait for the antibiotics to kick in.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone it is much appreciated.

We've given her biscopan and been to the vet, she does have mastitis and had commenced on antibiotics. Seems a little more settled overall, likes her den area now to wait for the antibiotics to kick in.

Don't forget to keep massaging the teats where the mastitis is. The antibiotics will stop it getting infected but won't break up the lumps.

Don't forget to keep massaging the teats where the mastitis is. The antibiotics will stop it getting infected but won't break up the lumps.

Yes, massage is important. Good idea to use a warm towel (or similar) before massaging. Also, a cabbage leaf works wonders. Good luck with everything, hope it's going well now.

When my girl had mastitis I used heat packs and then cabbage leaves then gently hand stripped the affected boob. The stuff that came out was very pus-y but we got it clear and the pups were able to feed from her again.

Hope your girl is ok. :(

My girl is doing much better, settled and happy within herself. Have found that massaging the lump is helping but still not totally gone yet.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and support I know I don't post often but do read and take it in.