V.i.p. Natures Goodness Grainfree Dryfood

Guest donatella

Veges is better then rice and pasta in my eyes. I'd feed myself a big plate of veges over rice. what goodness does rice have in it? Not a whole lot compared to veges.

Personally, I would rather sit down to a good old bowl of rolled oats than a massive big plate of mashed potato :)

Yuck! Gimme potatoes please

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can a food really be labeled "grain free" if it contains canola & linseed oils :confused: Both canola & linseed are a grain/seed & the oil would be the most potent part of the grain,& all vegetable oils come from grains, so therefore if you had a dog that was allergic to grains, then the oil from grains would surely have to be taken into account. This is a genuine question , I am not just throwing a red herring about this particular food, but just foods labeled "grain free" in general.

Edited by sheena

Guest donatella

Fair enough I wouldn't expect it to compare to the premium brands that sell for triple the price, but it's a nice option for those who buy budget and want to try something different I guess :shrug:

Fair enough I wouldn't expect it to compare to the premium brands that sell for triple the price, but it's a nice option for those who buy budget and want to try something different I guess :shrug:

Works out around $5 a kilo for the smaller bag. If fed in conjunction with a good source of RMBs, rather than as the entire diet, and with some fish added a couple of times a week, I'm sure it would be fine. For those on a budget with dogs with gluten allergies, it IS a good option. Sure beats Supercoat, that's for sure.

I pay about $6.50 per kg for Royal Canin.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• 3 months later...

Ingredients: Meat (Poultry Meal and Meat Meal, Duck and Meat Meals), Vegetable and Vegetable Meals, (including Potato, Peas, Carrots, Pumpkin), Potato and Tapioca Starch, Tallows and Oils (Poultry and Vegetable), Beet Pulp, Chicken Digest, Oilseeds (Canola and Linseed), Egg Powder, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (A,D,E,B1,B5,B6, Niacin, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, B12), and Minerals (Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Iodine, Selenium) Kelp Meal, Choline Chloride, Soy Lecithin Powder, Dried Chicory Root, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Garlic Powder, Tomato Powder, Potassium Sorbate, Natural Antioxidants.

Crude Protien Min 26.0%

Crude Fat Min 14.0%

Crude Fibre Max 5.0%

Salt (Sodium Chloride Max 1.2%

Calcium Min 1.0%

Phosphorous Min 0.8%

Metabolizable Energy 350 kcal/100g APPROX

Excuse any spelling mistakes embarrass.gif

Edit to add there is also a roo based one this is the chicken and duck

Still trying to work out what they mean by this - what are other's interpretations? Does it mean only poultry meat is in there or could it be other meat as well?

A friend and I have both emailed to enquire and have not received any reply - yes I could ring but really can't be bothered. Not very good customer service - I guess I just won't buy it :)

Mum to Shelley I've had my Westie girl who is very prone to the itchies and scratching on it for the sat week - and so far so good. :) minimal scratching ( we're all sleeping better) , good poo and seems to really like it too. Will be interesting to see if it continues... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it is the 'meat' meals bit that would put me off. I want to know what meat.

In VIP food , the meat meal is very likely to be, roo, horse, pig , chicken, these are the most common meat supplied by the place VIP get their meat from. I previously worked for the local council in which VIP sources their meat.

Yeah it is the 'meat' meals bit that would put me off. I want to know what meat.

In VIP food , the meat meal is very likely to be, roo, horse, pig , chicken, these are the most common meat supplied by the place VIP get their meat from. I previously worked for the local council in which VIP sources their meat. So I would not be concerned about the meat meal it should be of a good quaility.

In VIP food , the meat meal is very likely to be, roo, horse, pig , chicken, these are the most common meat supplied by the place VIP get their meat from. I previously worked for the local council in which VIP sources their meat. So I would not be concerned about the meat meal it should be of a good quaility.

Hi Crowley - I think this was exactly what some were worried about - that there may be horse meat in there :) Personally I do not want to give a food containing horse meat - nor pig.

• 1 month later...

Ya, the meat side is a bit on the poor side.

Check the section on 'How to Quickly Spot Inferior Meat Meals'

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/about-meat-meal/

That's American NOT Australian.

Different regulations in Australia.

True. The link would apply to most US Made premium food we discussed in this forum, but may not be for VIP which is made here.

But still, when it says 'meat meal', it could legally mean anything including euthanised cats and dogs, dying, diseased or disabled farm animals (like the recent scandal, horse meat!). These are plausible example and nobody can rule that out. If the human consumables could include the recent horse meat scandal, I wonder what happens to dog food....especially it's opently legal to do so when it is declared merely as 'meat meal'.

Edited by Jess 123

Ya, the meat side is a bit on the poor side.

Check the section on 'How to Quickly Spot Inferior Meat Meals'

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/about-meat-meal/

That's American NOT Australian.

Different regulations in Australia.

True. The link would apply to most US Made premium food we discussed in this forum, but may not be for VIP which is made here.

But still, when it says 'meat meal', it could legally mean anything including euthanised cats and dogs, dying, diseased or disabled farm animals (like the recent scandal, horse meat!). These are plausible example and nobody can rule that out. If the human consumables could include the recent horse meat scandal, I wonder what happens to dog food....especially it's opently legal to do so when it is declared merely as 'meat meal'.

I have been told that it is illegal in in Aust. I have no reason to disbelieve the manufactures of dog foods.

I have been told that it is illegal in in Aust. I have no reason to disbelieve the manufactures of dog foods.

Horse meat in beef pie is supposed to be illegal as well :)

The 'duck and meat meal' stmt is just dodgy. What's that really mean? Is this the ratio of 1% duck and 99% any meat under the sun. I give the benefit of the doubt that in this post someone know the council who help the company source the meat, but still it doesn't mean anything. 'Meat meal' literally means anything including pork or meat that your dog may be sensitive to.

Also by the way, the minerals found in VIP doesn't seem to be chelated minerals. As a result it's likely the minerals will pass through the dog system instead of being absorbed.

The 'duck and meat meal' stmt is just dodgy. What's that really mean? Is this the ratio of 1% duck and 99% any meat under the sun. I give the benefit of the doubt that in this post someone know the council who help the company source the meat, but still it doesn't mean anything. 'Meat meal' literally means anything including pork or meat that your dog may be sensitive to.

Also by the way, the minerals found in VIP doesn't seem to be chelated minerals. As a result it's likely the minerals will pass through the dog system instead of being absorbed.

I made an enquiry to the company about the meat content in the duck and meat meal product some time ago as I too found it confusing and they replied that the only meat included was chicken and duck - have to believe them I suppose, unless we prepare our own dog's food from scratch then we have to trust that they are doing the right thing. :shrug:

Interesting point about the minerals though. I am still working through a large bag of TOTW so am not committed to changing over yet - all feedback and opinions are interesting IMO.

It may be legal to have horse meat in overseas products. but it is ilegal to put it in, in this country.

Europe survived on horse meat during the war. They had nothing else.

You may find it in imported products but not in Australian made.

My daughter ate Dog in Indonesia and thought it was nice untill she was told what it was!!!!.

Edited by oakway

Interesting point about the minerals though. I am still working through a large bag of TOTW so am not committed to changing over yet - all feedback and opinions are interesting IMO.

The minerals in TOTW are all chelated minerals. So it's good.

Someone said the VIP 3kg bag is about $14.89. That's very nicely priced! TOTW would be waaaaaaaaaay pricier.

Have you considered a plan B? There's a promotion here on Canidae Grain Free.

http://www.robbospetbarn.com.au/products/c-362/DOGS/FOOD/SUPER-PREMIUM/CANIDAE/GRAIN-FREE.aspx

It works out to be cheaper than TOTW and but still pricier than VIP.

The minerals in TOTW are all chelated minerals. So it's good.

Someone said the VIP 3kg bag is about $14.89. That's very nicely priced! TOTW would be waaaaaaaaaay pricier.

Have you considered a plan B? There's a promotion here on Canidae Grain Free.

http://www.robbospetbarn.com.au/products/c-362/DOGS/FOOD/SUPER-PREMIUM/CANIDAE/GRAIN-FREE.aspx

It works out to be cheaper than TOTW and but still pricier than VIP.

Canidae has too high a protein content for my liking - and TOTW is a bit cheaper :)