Pet Barn Selling Dogs And Cats

I know it says pet barn all I am saying that on the topic of pet supply places selling rescue animals etc

I hate it when places say they are adopting out rescues when in fact they are selling for a profit not saying that petbarn are doing this, but I am entitled to have my say instead of starting a whole new thread just to say that one thing. :confused:

I get you Thundercat and agree, which is why I truly hope that Petbarn as a big chain just does the dogs from RSPCA and other shelters, which I think is what I was told last week at Dubbo.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to work for a PetBarn. We sold RSPCA kittens. The adoption process was the same that goes on at the shelter (I've been to and worked at the shelter on a voluntary basis) and while the Petbarn staff could give info on the kittens, what they came with etc, the adoptions and screening was carried out by vollies/RSPCA staff.

I don't see how this is different from the RSPCA adoptions at the shelter itself? I thought it was doing a great service - the kittens were more accessible, with a higher staff to animal ratio, and we often had customers specifically coming in for kittens they'd seen on the website.

We adopted about 100 kittens in the first 6 or 7 months.

ETA the money goes through the tills but then to the RSPCA

I agree.

A shelter is a VERY stressful place for an animal to be and I would argue that a pet store is less stressful. That may not be the case with every animal/situation but shelters are noisy, upsetting places for most animals. A glass box isn't much worse than a metal cage.

As long as they are following the correct procedures and checking owners I dont have a problem with it if it rehomes more animals.

Oh I don't like that idea of Pet Barn selling animals, that's almost as bad as Pet's Paradise :o

I used to volunteer with Monika's Doggie Rescue and she takes some of her dogs to some Pet Barn stores on weekends and has stalls outside for people to come and meet the dogs and take them for walks and play with them - to give the dogs them a chance to interact with people and have a play, and give people a chance to meet the dogs and potentially adopt them, but that is a different scenario to actually selling them in the Pet Barn stores.

If they are in fact checking everyone properly and ensuring that no animal goes to an unsuitable home, then I would probably be mostly ok with it. But like I said earlier I have seen first hand that some RSPCA shelters don't check at all so I would not be surprised if the animals were being sold to impulse buyers without a second thought.

The normal adoption process is followed as at the RSPCA

- Photo ID checked

- Other animals identified

- RSPCA background check (if they've surrendered before)

- Written permission required if renting

- Lots of info given with the kittens re info on care, health and RSPCA support contact details

- 1 bag Hills food (included in the price)

- 8 weeks RSPCA pet insurance

I've seen people refused if no written permission for rental properties are obtained, numbers of animals are more than the council allows, people are 'blacklisted' with the RSPCA for some reason.

The other thing to consider is the risk of cat flu is significantly decreased in the petshop environment - my old work only ever had 7 kittens max at one time, and they were taken for treatment at the first sign of flu. Stress and overcrowding are big risk factors for flu.

The other thing that should be noted is that these kittens went to new homes very quickly - if they were at one place for an excessive amount of time (weeks) they would change locations to increase exposure.

If people want to buy a petshop kitten why not make it a rescue cat?

Each to their own but I think this is a very decent (maybe not foolproof) but a decent screening process.

ETA the reason they don't put puppies in stores as far as I'm aware is that they require more 'matching' of owner to dog and this adoption process is more intensive - hence it being done at the shelter where there are more adoption staff available.

Edited by Flick_Mac

Animates in NZ is supposedly shifting from selling breeder puppies to RSPCA puppies, but they still do have breeder puppies in whenever I look there.

Cyberpets here in CHCH doesn't sell puppies, they have a little display on their counter with the "dog of the week" from Dogwatch (really nice shelter here) :thumbsup:

The sad reality is that the alternative for many of these cats & dogs is death.

They will not keep them indefinetly if a home is not found.

Homes are not found for all animals at the RSPCA.

Taking them to the pet shop & putting them on display in a suitable manner is better than the other outcome for many.

It does make people aware they are available & impulse will never be completely stopped but have faith in some people. My impulse to take dumped kitten from the abandoned house ended with him still be around for his 13th birthday soon :)

Edited by Christina

Im happy for them to have advertisements in their store for shelter animals, to hand out pamphlets and have photos of dogs and their profiles, be in the store personally and tell people who they are what they do and how to find them even to have animals in their store which are not available for sale today or any day but I hate it when the actual animals are there and the tug on the heart save this dog etc is on. I wont go into a pet shop which has live animals whether they are rescue animals or not.

have a problem with it if it is handled the same way as PP did - do the dogs and cats stay there overnight, how long are they there for. The Petbarn near us at Plenty Valley has them, as does the BestFriends Superstore at Thomastown.

I don;t think they should be in either place personally, no matter where they are from. I also, as a breeder, have a very real issue with the hypocrisy of rescue groups saying not to buy from breeders who encourage you to meet them at shows or elsewhere, or deliver an animal to you, that you must see where the animals are kept, inspect every inch of their home, meet the parents etc, yet are only too happy to have adoption days where the animals are bundled up and put on mass display like this at a petshop away from their shelter, so you are not seeing their animals at their shelter or in the foster carers homes etc, and seeing the conditions they are being kept under by that group. Surely if they insist that you see how a breeder operates regarding aniaml husbandry, why not a rescue group? One of the rescue groups I have visited myself (just to see if what I had heard was correct), I could not imagine keeping anything in conditions that smelly or bad ever, and yet they are the biggest callers of breeders being the worst scum on earth and to avoid like the plague.

have a problem with it if it is handled the same way as PP did - do the dogs and cats stay there overnight, how long are they there for. The Petbarn near us at Plenty Valley has them, as does the BestFriends Superstore at Thomastown.

I don;t think they should be in either place personally, no matter where they are from. I also, as a breeder, have a very real issue with the hypocrisy of rescue groups saying not to buy from breeders who encourage you to meet them at shows or elsewhere, or deliver an animal to you, that you must see where the animals are kept, inspect every inch of their home, meet the parents etc, yet are only too happy to have adoption days where the animals are bundled up and put on mass display like this at a petshop away from their shelter, so you are not seeing their animals at their shelter or in the foster carers homes etc, and seeing the conditions they are being kept under by that group. Surely if they insist that you see how a breeder operates regarding aniaml husbandry, why not a rescue group? One of the rescue groups I have visited myself (just to see if what I had heard was correct), I could not imagine keeping anything in conditions that smelly or bad ever, and yet they are the biggest callers of breeders being the worst scum on earth and to avoid like the plague.

See I don't really see the difference between being in a pet shop overnight or a pound/shelter overnight?

Of course ideally, neither would be preferable, but it's a sad reality that these animals are in the pound/being dumped as we speak, and if a few days in a glass cage gets them a nice new home, and all procedures are being followed properly, then I'm ok with that.

Edited by Aussie3

I love saving canine lives but I too have found alot of hypocrisy amongst some groups, exactly and they call out breeders who have concrete runs calling them all puppy farms or commercial breeders I know a reg breeder who has only bred 3 litters in the whole 25years that they have been showing etc and they got called a puppy farm from oscars flaw because she puts them in a run at night and when she goes out, she does it for their own safety and I hardly call 17 puppies in 25years overpopulating!!

Edited by thundercat

OK, so forget where they come from for a minute then, what you are both saying, aussie 3 & minimax, based on what you say above, is you have no problems at all then with dogs being sold in pet shops, as an enclosure is an enclosure. What about social enrichment, the only times I have ever seen dogs out of cages at a pet shop is when they are being passed te parcel around propective buyers. Guessing you feel that is not a problem at all. Sorry I do, and don't think a pet shop is a place for any animal ever period.

Such hypocrisy is exactly the battle breeders face, and you are right Thundercat about OF

OK, so forget where they come from for a minute then, what you are both saying, aussie 3 & minimax, based on what you say above, is you have no problems at all then with dogs being sold in pet shops, as an enclosure is an enclosure. What about social enrichment, the only times I have ever seen dogs out of cages at a pet shop is when they are being passed te parcel around propective buyers. Guessing you feel that is not a problem at all. Sorry I do, and don't think a pet shop is a place for any animal ever period.

Such hypocrisy is exactly the battle breeders face, and you are right Thundercat about OF

No, what we are saying is that the difference between being in a shelter (RSPCA concrete cage) and being in a shop (Pet Barn glass box) isn't much.

What "social enrichment" do dogs in shelters get?

Edited by minimax

you're making a lot of assumptions about how these RESCUE dogs live. The ones I have seen go in a play pen during the day, then back to their shelter or foster home at night. They aren't at the pet shop full time and they aren't there long term. They aren't sold as other petshops sell dogs - they are just in the store for visibility.

No, that's not how I feel at all.

I have worked in a shelter and the animals get no enrichment there, believe me! I'm not sure what you think they get in the shelter.

I like dogs to be bred ethically and raised by the breeder till they are homed, HOWEVER, animals in shelters don't have this opportunity and I don't see that their situation is any worse in a petshop to a shelter.

Would you prefer the animals get PTS because there is not enough room to find them all homes? Because that's what happens.

No, what we are saying is that the difference between being in a shelter (RSPCA concrete cage) and being in a shop (Pet Barn glass box) isn't much.

SFA

SFA

Exactly my point.