Rescue/foster Dog Health Issue

I am currently fostering my first rescue dog. I am the first to admit that I am very careful/cautious with my pets, taking them to the vet at the first sign of illness, so the attitude of the foster care co-ordinator is a little different to mine. I realise that they are working on a confined budget, but I am interested to get some opinions on when I should really push for vet care for my foster.

She is well and eating, happy etc, but she has had a frequent urination issue since I brought her home a week ago. She is with me inside during the day, and I take her out frequently to toilet, and praise when she goes, but she always does very small wees, and will do small wees in the house as well, despite being taken out regularly.

She has also started coughing today, not constantly, but will occasionally start doing a nasty cough until is sounds like she will almost vomit(but doesn't).

Same dog who had/has the crumbly ear edges - which are improving :)

It is quite concerning for me, if it were my dog I would have already taken her to the vet, but obviously being a rescue, I can only take her if it is approved by the shelter :( She is not seriously ill, but I am concerned for her health - and the health of my own pets, and if she were to be adopted what would be the responsibility there.

I must admit, my coments are a little coloured by the fact that I was at the shelter yesterday, and overheard one of the staff stating that staffy puppies were $500, despite the regular adoption fee for dogs being $440.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I took my fosters to the vet at my own cost if I was worried about them..

Rescue organisations are on a limited budget, so I did what I could to absorb costs...

Not saying you should but if one of mine was frequently urinating and now coughing, I would want it checked out for the health and well being of my own dogs as well as the foster baby...

I would love to be able to take her and just pay for it myself, but that's just not an option at the moment :( I will contact the foster co-ordinator and see what she thinks, I have had a cat with a UTI before, and I wonder if that is what she has...I did contact the co-ordinator after I had her for three days and told her about the weeing and she thought it was probably from being in a shelter environment, but it seems after a week that it should have settled down - she has certainly settled into life here - she is very happy here and a gorgeous little family member :D

My understanding of the law (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is that regardless of whether it is your dog or you are fostering for a rescue organisation, you are responsible for ensuring the dog gets vet treatment when needed. That means that if the rescue group denies permission for vet treatment you are still obligated to seek that treatment at your own cost. It's rubbish that some rescues will put their foster carers in this position though. I hope the little girl is okay and the shelter agrees to foot the bill.

I think the organisation has a duty of care but in all honesty, I couldn't let any dog go without treatment if I thought it needed it...

I realise not everyone is in a financial position to do so and hope the rescue coordinator should give permission to do so.

I agree with pers, it could be a couple of things...

I have a couple of sterile urine collection containers from my own vet, so I shall attempt to collect some urine from her and have it tested one way or another. I still havent heard back from the foster co-ordinator.

Any tips on how to get a urine sample? She is only weeing for 2-3 seconds at a time so it's going to be a challenge!

We had an old fry pan that we used for Ollie when we needed a sample.. Even an old container that is low and flat but has enough lip on it to collect..

Put her on lead and take her out to the same spot over and over again, treat when she wees and tell her good dog.. Lots of praise for good work. You may need someone else to collect while you encourage her to go...

I was with a rescue group and took my first foster home. The rules were you had to get their approval before getting vet treatment - but that was if you wanted them to pay for it and it is quite reasonable. Many people would rush dogs off to the vet for things that are very minor or not even real. In my foster dog's case, he had a real skin problem - this was 10 years ago - I paid $350 or so for his treatment. I was very inexperienced. I had a lot to learn and have since had dogs with many skin problems that have been overcome with good housing, hygiene & diet. The vet def. overcharged me at the time and conducted all sorts of tests.

Sounds to me like your little dog has a bladder infection. Please either contact the shelter and explain - they may have some antibiotics to give you or send you to their vet. This is not a condition that is safe to leave and is also painful for the dog and a nuisance for you cleaning up.

As for the shelter charging xxx for any dog - that's up to them. As someone who runs a rescue I can assure you there is NO PROFIT to be made from rescuing dogs. Sure, you might find 1 dog that comes in and is in great health and had all it's vet work done. brilliant. You might sell that dog for $350 (should you sell it for $0 because it cost you nothing? No of course not).

Then you get the next dog in and it needs all standard vet work done and some teeth out. It costs you $600 but your standard adoption fee is $350. So there you are $250 short of your vet bill - I hope you can see what i mean.

I have rescued numerous Italian Greyhounds this year. Two died. They cost over $1000 ... I transport them from all over Australia, I quarantine them when from a pound. Honestly, rescuers are normally in the red so please do not presume that your shelter is profiteering!

I have heard back from the shelter, and they have said that they will make a time for me with the vet to take her in with a urine sample :)

Dogmad - I totally respect your point - rescues do such great work :) There are a few things I disagree with, with this shelter, but I respect what they are trying to do, so I will do what I can to help them :)

eta: and I am happy to recognise that I do not have any experience with neglected dogs, so I am trying hard to remember that these dogs haven't been treated well like mine - so they could need a bit of time to get back into decent shape. thanks for your comments - it is a pain taking her out all the time as well as cleaning up constant puddles. One of my cats recently had a UTI with the same symptoms, which was why it rang alarm bells.

Working on getting the urine sample.

Edited by parrotpea

Fresh sample needed..

To be honest, I wouldn't leave it a few days.. In a few days a UTI can travel and cause all manner of further problems..

I don't know if you have ever had one yourself but it can be quite uncomfortable... I realise you are probably busy like the rest of us but the dog really needs to see a vet sooner rather than in a few days..

Hope it all goes well for her.

Yes - that was part of what I was saying - it's urgent and you need to get that sample there NOW. Read about the repercussions on the web of leaving these things if you are not sure. I've known one dog rescued by PAWS last year who died because of a long period of untreated urine infection, it was very sad and so unnecessary ...

If its a UTI it needs to be diagnosed and dealt with pretty quickly and you need a fresh sample. these can be painful for the dog or it may just be something simple like marking her spots- either way you need a diagnosis have you taken her temperature?

Hows the cough ? Has she been examined by the vet since she came into care,wormed, vaccinated, checked for heart worm ? The cough could be symptoms of many things including some which your dogs may catch.

I agree with Dogmad you have to have some protocols in place to prevent people clocking up unnecessary vet bills etc but regardless of what the shelter's policies are re vet treatment at the end of the day if anyone is pinged for not getting vet treatment it will be the person who is responsible for that animal at the time and they have told you to do the sample so sooner is better than later but personally if I were you with the weeing and the cough Id feel better if the vet examined her.

Pacers has this condition in writing for all of our foster carers but all of our animals are checked before they go into foster care and we may hesitate and look for alternatives or owner finances over a recommended treatment we wont over a diagnosis if one is needed.

I will shout you a free foster carers course if you would like it. Might help for next time.

http://www.mdba.net.au/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=11&Itemid=743

Thanks Steve - that would be great :thumbsup:

I got the sample late last night, and have had it refrigerated. She is booked in for 12 today.

The foster co-ordinator has mentioned that they have but two other female dogs in foster care at the moment who have a similar issue but no UTI and that she believes it could be a result of being ex-breeding dogs :(

she believes it could be a result of being ex-breeding dogs

could be ..no muscle tone/sphincter control... :(

It still needs checking, and fixing if possible - I wouldn't think they would be ideal for re-homing with continuing incontinence/frequency issues?

Hope all goes well today! :)

Thanks Persephone - that is my feeling too - that even if it is not a UTI it is something that needs to be dealt with as it is possibly going to be an issue that results in the return of the dog to the shelter if the new owners are not willing or able to get the vet work done :(

Thanks Steve - that would be great :thumbsup:

I got the sample late last night, and have had it refrigerated. She is booked in for 12 today.

The foster co-ordinator has mentioned that they have but two other female dogs in foster care at the moment who have a similar issue but no UTI and that she believes it could be a result of being ex-breeding dogs :(

Female dogs which have lived with lots f other dogs often do this to mark their possie - the temperature should tell you if she has an infection.