Rescue/foster Dog Health Issue

Thanks Steve - that would be great :thumbsup:

I got the sample late last night, and have had it refrigerated. She is booked in for 12 today.

The foster co-ordinator has mentioned that they have but two other female dogs in foster care at the moment who have a similar issue but no UTI and that she believes it could be a result of being ex-breeding dogs :(

Go in through the shop as if you are buying the course - better PM me your real name first so I know who you are.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steve - your inbox is full.

The vet gave the all clear today, and suggested that it is probably a combination of marking territory and anxiety, and probably never having been toilet trained. Her teeth are really worn down so vet thinks she may have been an anxious chewer - I haven't seen any chewing behaviour at all with her so it seems it was directly linked to her stressful situation.

I have a lady coming to meet her tomorrow, not sure if she already has dogs or not - hopefully she wouldn't be marking so much if there weren't other dogs around?

What about the cough? Is she clear for heartworm and other nasties ? poor old girl.

The cough disappeared after that one day - not sure about heartworm.

Is there anything I can do to help her with the weeing?

Feeding cooked barley with some of the water it is cooked in helps with bladder issues as does giving cranberry juice. I had a girl with bladder crystals and it was an ongoing problem for about 4 or 5 years before we finally got on top of it with Chinese Medicine, so this poor foster may have a problem that is not easily fixed.

Female dogs which have lived with lots of other dogs especially if they have been breeding dogs have a major thing about marking their spots. This is really difficult to do much about though usually its weeing on their bed or some other spot they decide should be uniquely theirs if she is piddling everywhere with no obvious desire to keep that for herself its going to be almost impossible to train it out of her. On the good side some of them poop in their beds etc to do this so it could be worse.

Just checking Ive asked the right question is she obviously deliberately sqatting and weeing or is she sort of leaking ? If she is obviously sqatting and weeing its probably behavioural and Ive no idea how you can do anything about that except make her an outside dog.

For future reference - now you have the course you will see what temperature and various other things are normal - an infection is associated with a temperature so often you can eliminate some things by taking the temperature

Oh big question is she desexed? If not she may just be coming on heat - girls often get the piddles and leave their scent everywhere about 2 weeks before they actually come on heat too. Having a new environment may mean she is letting the boys know she is now here even if she is already desexed - old habits.

I hope the bitch is seen quickly by the vet. You need an uncontaminated urine sample.

It could also be renal failure or a bladder full of stones. We rescued a bitch who was urinating frequently and she was at the vet within a couple of hours of rescue. To my horror, she had an accute UTI, and a bladder full of huge stones. She has had surgery to remove the stones and is now a very happy girl. :)

post-4430-0-66690800-1349473557_thumb.jpg

Edited by schnauzer

Feeding cooked barley with some of the water it is cooked in helps with bladder issues as does giving cranberry juice. I had a girl with bladder crystals and it was an ongoing problem for about 4 or 5 years before we finally got on top of it with Chinese Medicine, so this poor foster may have a problem that is not easily fixed.

Did the crystals show up in a urine sample dbcs?

Just checking Ive asked the right question is she obviously deliberately sqatting and weeing or is she sort of leaking ? If she is obviously sqatting and weeing its probably behavioural and Ive no idea how you can do anything about that except make her an outside dog.

Well yes - I am glad she wasn't pooing - or weeing in my bed! She was deliberately squatting and weeing, and wasn't straining or looking to be in any kind of discomfort. She was recently speyed (18th Sept) so it seems most likely it is a behavioural issue.

She was adopted today - her new owner understands that she has the weeing issue, but it looks as if she will be great friends with her new owner's existing dog, and will spend a good part of the day outside with the other dog, and the rest of the time inside being cuddled :D

The best way to see crystals in urine is to get a sample of the urine in some newspaper and let it dry.. You will see the shiney crystals then if you hold it out in the sun.. This was how our vet told us to check our old Staffords urine after he had stones removed when he was about 6 years old..

They are not normally visible to the baked eye in a sample in a container..

Or you can check a sample under a microscope.

She was adopted today

I guess owner was told about the urination problem - cause unknown, and an uncertain heartworm status ... I hope all goes well .

What about the cough? Is she clear for heartworm and other nasties ? poor old girl.The cough disappeared after that one day - not sure about heartworm.

She was recently speyed (18th Sept) so it seems most likely it is a behavioural issue.

I'm not sure being recently speyed makes it a behavioural issue .

may well be - but it may also be related to the speying /surgery .

Edited by persephone

Did the dog see a vet prior to being adopted?

Since when is excessive urination a behavioural issue :confused:

efs

i think the dog see the vet as parrotpea spoke about getting the all clear form the vet and her teeth being worn down.

She was adopted today

I guess owner was told about the urination problem - cause unknown, and an uncertain heartworm status ... I hope all goes well .

What about the cough? Is she clear for heartworm and other nasties ? poor old girl.The cough disappeared after that one day - not sure about heartworm.

She was recently speyed (18th Sept) so it seems most likely it is a behavioural issue.

I'm not sure being recently speyed makes it a behavioural issue .

may well be - but it may also be related to the speying /surgery .

I agree.

Did the vet do a urine analysis and an x ray to eliminate possible bladder stones and a UTI?

Doubtful.

I hope they did - otherwise they are not an ethical rescue.

It would be dreadful to rehome a dog that could be in chronic pain. If the adopter were inexperienced they would not be aware that the bitch has a possible serious health issue as they would have passed it as "behavioural" :(

As an experienced rescuer I'm very concerned and surprised the dog has been rehomed without getting to the bottom of this issue.

People might say that it's OK for the dog to be weeing continually inside but I'd say they are a saint amongst men - rarely is it OK if it isn't solvable.

I've just taken on a dog today for the same reason. Owners had for 2 years (having been given him as a 6 yr old) and were unable to housetrain so decided last week he was going outside 24/7. They had just replaced their carpets after he'd ruined the first lot. But then guess what? He was still going on the new carpet so outside he went.

Left outside was barking too much (he's a Maltese type) and so they decided to take him to the vets for the green dream.

Luckily PAWS have stepped in and he's come here. My assessment is that he isn't housetrained. The former owners only used disinfectant to clean up which doesn't work.

I often wonder how many dogs spend their lives outside because the owners were unable to housetrain or how many get put to sleep for being a nuisance after a chain of events led to it. I've also known vets to tell people that you can't housetrain an adult/old dog and they should put to sleep Yes you can but how many owners take a vet's word as gospel, a lot I expect.

As an experienced rescuer I'm very concerned and surprised the dog has been rehomed without getting to the bottom of this issue.

People might say that it's OK for the dog to be weeing continually inside but I'd say they are a saint amongst men - rarely is it OK if it isn't solvable.

I've just taken on a dog today for the same reason. Owners had for 2 years (having been given him as a 6 yr old) and were unable to housetrain so decided last week he was going outside 24/7. They had just replaced their carpets after he'd ruined the first lot. But then guess what? He was still going on the new carpet so outside he went.

Left outside was barking too much (he's a Maltese type) and so they decided to take him to the vets for the green dream.

Luckily PAWS have stepped in and he's come here. My assessment is that he isn't housetrained. The former owners only used disinfectant to clean up which doesn't work.

I often wonder how many dogs spend their lives outside because the owners were unable to housetrain or how many get put to sleep for being a nuisance after a chain of events led to it. I've also known vets to tell people that you can't housetrain an adult/old dog and they should put to sleep Yes you can but how many owners take a vet's word as gospel, a lot I expect.

Agree Dogmad. I knew within 15 minutes of rescuing Phoebe that we had a health issue. I suspected UTI and was shocked at her diagnosis - which could not have been done without an x ray.

In respons to Steve's posts:

She had no temperature. The foster care co-ordinator assured me that many dogs have this issue, I am not happy with the way the shelter has handled this issue and I do not believe that they are an ethical rescue, there are many indicators which lead me to believe that they are trying to move dogs through no matter what.

She was deliberately squatting and lifting her leg to wee.

efs

I am going by what I have been told here and by the foster co-ordinator that excessive urination can be behavioural.

The owner was told about the urination issues. I am unsure as to how to proceed with this shelter- they have not been great to deal with and if I hadn't had the advice from this forum they would have easily convinced me that all was well and that the dog was fine :(

efs

i think the dog see the vet as parrotpea spoke about getting the all clear form the vet and her teeth being worn down.

Did the vet do a urine analysis and an x ray to eliminate possible bladder stones and a UTI?

I hope they did - otherwise they are not an ethical rescue.

It would be dreadful to rehome a dog that could be in chronic pain. If the adopter were inexperienced they would not be aware that the bitch has a possible serious health issue as they would have passed it as "behavioural" :(

yes, I am an inexperienced rescuer. I am trying to learn all that I can. The vet gave the all clear on her - full unrinalysis - one day before her adoption. The vet said that it is unlikely that there would be bladder stones without any signs in the urine. again, I am just going by what I am told, I don't claim to be an expert - I, possibly naively, believed what I was told by the vet, and members here, and the foster co-ordinator. I am still in contact with the new owner so I will suggest the x-ray if there are ongoing issues. any advice is appreciated :) Especially on dealing with a probably less than ethical shelter.

Totally agree - of course an older dog can be house-trained - and I have been using the K9 Pro recipe for urine spots. What do you use?