Brittanys

He;en, I can remember a woman (just can't remember the name) trialling a Brittany in agility in the early 90s. Can remember her being in Gippsland - probably Bairnsdale, but could be Sale - at one of those June Gippsland Riviera trials. Wouldn't have been before 1991 - could have been that year. Not super helpful, sorry, but might jog someone else's memory. First time I saw a Brittany :) - can remember the dog was a typicla Brittany - lots of fun and flashes of brilliance :laugh:

He;en, I can remember a woman (just can't remember the name) trialling a Brittany in agility in the early 90s. Can remember her being in Gippsland - probably Bairnsdale, but could be Sale - at one of those June Gippsland Riviera trials. Wouldn't have been before 1991 - could have been that year. Not super helpful, sorry, but might jog someone else's memory. First time I saw a Brittany :) - can remember the dog was a typical Brittany - lots of fun and flashes of brilliance :laugh:

Helen good luck with it! It's fascinating but so much work! :thumbsup:

My friend and I have been doing the same for our breed and we have almost reached the stage where we can just keep an eye out for the new ones now. You don't want to know how long it has taken to get to that stage! Honestly the best way of gaining information was going back through the various state gazettes and manually putting that information into a database while we were also slowly seeking people out. Brittanys aren't as common as Collies so you should have an easier task numbers wise but it will still be a lot of digging. We found people would remember that there was one and sometimes they might half remember a name but that was as far as we got. Once we had actual names for the dogs and the owners and of course then we had the breeders too suddenly we had information pouring in! Unfortunantly a lot of people will title to CD and then not go on, and often people will drop out of dogs altogether and these people are increadably difficult to track down.

Thanks Natsu. It was the Collie records that inspired is to start a list now and to maintain it. I saw all the folders at the Collie nationals, hard to believe that it was done in 2 months, it looked like years of work. Brittanys arrived here in the 70 s and the numbers aren't as great so it will be an easier job. I have managed to track down the first CD, first tracking champion and what is probably the first endurance title. And because it is so recent the first rally and dancing with dogs titles were easy.

LOL! The folders took two months the actual research....you don't want to know. I spent countless hours in the KCC library going through gazettes back to the 50's to obtain the records. My partner in crime did a fabulous job on the folders, and the display which she did herself as she couldn't get around for quite awhile. Muggins here is just the researcher! :laugh: Of course we have a secret weapon, and that is that a lot of the obedience judges were collie people to start with which does rather help. The display at the National really helped to get more information coming our way as has the FB page. If you want the link for that let me know. :)

I'm totally chuffed that someone else has been inspired to have a go with their own breed. That's just wonderful. :thumbsup:

If you want to cut down some of your work try emailing Dogs NSW and asking about a data extract....I wish we'd found out about that sooner!

Edited by Natsu chan

LOL! The folders took two months the actual research....you don't want to know. I spent countless hours in the KCC library going through gazettes back to the 50's to obtain the records. My partner in crime did a fabulous job on the folders, and the display which she did herself as she couldn't get around for quite awhile. Muggins here is just the researcher! :laugh: Of course we have a secret weapon, and that is that a lot of the obedience judges were collie people to start with which does rather help. The display at the National really helped to get more information coming our way as has the FB page. If you want the link for that let me know. :)

I'm totally chuffed that someone else has been inspired to have a go with their own breed. That's just wonderful. :thumbsup:

If you want to cut down some of your work try emailing Dogs NSW and asking about a data extract....I wish we'd found out about that sooner!

that is great, thanks. Are any other states as helpful?

ralleyvalley I don't

Tassie - Marilyn from Riverreed who I got Tilly from knew someone who had passed away that used to do a lot of agility, maybe it is the same person, will have to she if she can remember details :-)

Honestly not much Helen, for the most part most states will say privacy laws prevent them assisting you in anyway, end of conversation. Give Dog NSW a go though they are very helpful to the point that you may not need help from the other states. :)

I have the Vic Gazettes here still from doing the Collies so if you can give me a start year I can flick through them for you up until the mid 2000s. If you want me to, it would probably take me all weekend but I don't mind. All in a goood cause after all. :)

Edited by Natsu chan

Honestly not much Helen, for the most part most states will say privacy laws prevent them assisting you in anyway, end of conversation. Give Dog NSW a go though they are very helpful to the point that you may not need help from the other states. :)

I have the Vic Gazettes here still from doing the Collies so if you can give me a start year I can flick through them for you up until the mid 2000s. If you want me to, it would probably take me all weekend but I don't mind. All in a goood cause after all. :)

That would be fantastic Natsu, Brittanys first came here in 1975, if you happen to see any that would be fantastic.

Ralleyvalley, I have an email from Eleanor that I still need to type up

No worries Helen, pm me your email address and I'll email what I find.

The Vic Dog library has the old card index in the storage room and that will have all the early Victorian dogs in it up to 1978. The library staff open it when the library is open. If you look in the new Dogs Vic gazette there is a Brittany in the Raft notes a bitch with her FT Ch title, I believe her owner has had quite a few FT Ch Brittanys and he would probably know of others too.

• 1 month later...

Hi Natsu chan,

Have you guys set up a web page for your database? Ive volunteered to help Helen out and I want to check your stuff out to help me get my head around it all.Any info would be great :)

cheers Michelle

Hi Michelle, we have a FB page which is only in it's infancy. The link is here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/dogsport/ but if you pm me with your email address I will send you a few example pages from the folders we had at the National. I have a list of dogs too for the project but not sure if Helen's email address is working or not. I do however have the lists of titled Vic Brittanys (or is that Brittanies?!) on my desk here. Might be able to help with pedigrees for Vic whelped dogs too.

Hi Michelle, we have a FB page which is only in it's infancy. The link is here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/dogsport/ but if you pm me with your email address I will send you a few example pages from the folders we had at the National. I have a list of dogs too for the project but not sure if Helen's email address is working or not. I do however have the lists of titled Vic Brittanys (or is that Brittanies?!) on my desk here. Might be able to help with pedigrees for Vic whelped dogs too.

Great stuff, I really appreciate it :)

Pming you now