Bitch On Heat With Diarrhea Normal?

A bitch i have came on heat last tuesday and developed bad diarrhea which was the consistency of water. and went from being white to now back to normal colour

i know days prior she had normal firm poos (cos she went in the trailer :p)

She is very energetic, still eating, drinking, playing etc. Had her at the vet for prog tests and spoke to them about it and her colour temp and hydration was normal and they said to jut keep an eye on her.

Is this a normal thing for bitches on heat i dont believe ive seen it before and its been a loooooong time since ive had a bitch.

Any suggestions to firm her up. ive tried missing a feed to settle her stomach and ive given her yoghurt...nothing has worked. She gets fed plain dry food and has had bones and a veggie ear (which i have only given her two and its been days since her last one so ive stopped giving them to her to see if thats the prob and nothings changed)

as mentioned shes been to the vet and given the all clear ... so wondering what to do now and if this is a normal think for (some) bitches whilst on heat

I've never seen it as being a normal thing, no...and I have seen many in season bitches.It 'may' be something hormonal..but certainly sounds odd.

The vet said 'keep an eye on her'...and what else?

I would suggest another vet visit .... before starting to muck around with diet etc .It would be good to know exactly what the cause is , wouldn't it?

true...

wouldnt you think tho having it now for 10 days she would be dehydrated and lethargic?

I'd be quite concerned! Consistent diarrhoea for that amount of time IS a problem in itself.

My suggestion would be to quit the dry for a few days and only give her a bland diet of boiled chicken & rice (nothing else!). Feed her this twice a day and SLOWLY reintroduce the dry food by adding a small amount to her chicken & rice after 2-3 days.

I'd also be looking at giving her some Lectade a couple of times per day to ensure she remains hydrated.

Edited by Aziah

true...

wouldnt you think tho having it now for 10 days she would be dehydrated and lethargic?

I'd be quite concerned! Consistent diarrhoea for that amount of time IS a problem in itself.

My suggestion would be to quit the dry for a few days and only give her a bland diet of boiled chicken & rice (nothing else!). Feed her this twice a day and SLOWLY reintroduce the dry food by adding a small amount to her chicken & rice after 2-3 days.

I'd also be looking at giving her some Lectade a couple of times per day to ensure she remains hydrated.

(they didnt seem worried which i found odd)

(i will try this they suggested the same thing)

(she was still completely hydrated which i find odd with diorrhea)

Edited by SteppenwolfKennels

true...

Here's hoping the bland diet will correct the problem but do be sure to introduce the dry slowly when you do :)

true...

Here's hoping the bland diet will correct the problem but do be sure to introduce the dry slowly when you do :)

Thanks both of you :)

I sure as hell wouldn't be mating her if she's not 100% that's for sure.

I would expect that if she'd been put on a bland diet initially she would have been better within 24 hours - I would imagine now that she has an inflamed/irritated colan and will recover quickly.

If she was ill, which she doesn't appear to be apart from loose stools then I wouldn't mate her either but it's more than likely that she'll be back to normal by the time she's mated.

I wouldn't mate a bitch that is ill either.

Hmm seems doing a little research on this topic and reading through other forums and websites the diarrhea whilst on heat seems more common then i thought...

I can only go off the vets report and advice on her condition and if anything is actually wrong with her and it will be up to the dogs owner & vets advice on them mating her or not.

Is this bitch not yours? (ie. is it a visiting bitch?)...if it's a visiting bitch then it's very possible she's stressed which can & does cause looseness. However it's still important that you get it under control as quickly as possible and certainly discuss it with her owner.

Is this bitch not yours? (ie. is it a visiting bitch?)...if it's a visiting bitch then it's very possible she's stressed which can & does cause looseness. However it's still important that you get it under control as quickly as possible and certainly discuss it with her owner.

No shes not mine, i had here here about a week+ before she came on heat and shes hasnt change at all in her attitude, health or eating habits just the change in the stool and it came the day or day after she came on heat ... i have done pick up today and its much firmer now but still not "normal" but she is a worrier too, she could be stressing over heat, not at her own home etc etc.