Help - Advice On Hills Prescription Alternative

jans

My girl is on Hills Prescription l/d for liver issues. She prefers dry but will eat the tinned from time to time. Now it appears that there are no bags of dry food in Australia to be found, and Lort Smith here in Melbourne advise that this will be the case til the end of the year.

I've tried on-line and keep getting the same message from suppliers and vet surgeries that I've been calling.

I have stacks of the tinned, but does anyone know of an alternative dry food? Royal Canin have a hepatic one, but it's not in Australia.

Or, if you belong to a vet surgery, could you see if they have any bags? It's a rare one, so most vets don't keep in on the shelves unfortunately.

Any help would be appreciated.

Janet

I could be mistaken but i'm sure i've seen I/D somewhere over the last couple of weeks.

I've been at Ultimate Vet Clinic in Narre Warren, Best Friends Cranbourne and Woofpurnay. I was specifically in the prescription food area as my dog is on the RC Hyperallergenic. Maybe give those two stores a call or try Hill's direct? Good luck.

I could be mistaken but i'm sure i've seen I/D somewhere over the last couple of weeks.

I've been at Ultimate Vet Clinic in Narre Warren, Best Friends Cranbourne and Woofpurnay. I was specifically in the prescription food area as my dog is on the RC Hyperallergenic. Maybe give those two stores a call or try Hill's direct? Good luck.

I/D is a different product to L/D.

Call your vet Jans to find out if there is a suitable alternative to L/D

Thanks Aussiedog and CavNrot.

I've tried calling Hills today, but they are all at "training", so have emailed them, but from what I've read on the net I can't see anything that will be an easy substitute.

The vet just recommended sticking with the tins, but I'd really like to get a bag of the dry if I can, as she loves it and for the variety also.

I buy my supplies from vetnpet direct in Qld normally, so paying interstate postage is not a problem if any of the interstate dolers know of any L/D out there

SAGS, you are a legend.

I've spoken with Kim, and not only did she have one bucket, but there was a second one tucked away in a cupboard.

She's holding them for me, so will go for a nice drive on the weekend. That's about half a bag, so other dolers, I will probably keep looking for more just in case this Hills drought continues. So, if you know where a bag is hidden, let me know

This forum rocks.

OMG my dog will basically die if I stop feeding the Hills L/D. There really isn't an alternative in Australia. This has been my biggest fear that they stop stocking it or something. I would also suggest just using the tinned. The US liver gurus don't think much of the L/D dry anyhow. I'll ask for an alternative and let you know.

Thanks, JulesP,

Fortunately, there is no probs getting the tinned. This is the second time in the last 2 years that the dry has been "unavailable", so from now on I'm going to become a hoarder. The last time I was down to my last 1/2 cup.

Liver shunt, JulesP.

We had the surgery about 3 or 4 years ago. The first one failed and they had to go back in to take the band off the shunt. The second surgery they put on a much looser band. The tests at six months suggested some shunting still, so I've kept her on the LD. Basically I'm not prepared to take the risk by taking her off LD. She loves the dry LD, as do my other dogs actually

You mention HE episodes - what's that??

HE is hepatic encephalopathy. It is when the toxins build up in the blood and effect the brain causing all sorts of problems, the worst being coma and death. Can be as mild as the dog pressing its head into a wall or walking around in circles. The only time I've given Amber a bone (vet said it was ok occasionally) she had a seizure and issues with walking.

Thanks JulesP. I get something like an epileptic episode when it's bad, but remember the head Into wall as really distressing.

My girl I's only little, so how are u off for food?

OK! Now we are putting the call out, Australia, for any vet supply people who have bags of LD for JulesP or me . My girl is a little, so I think JUlesP is more in need.but don't quote me.

Please post of you can help

I realize that. I didn't notice the original message was a lowercase L.