Colour Question?

mixeduppup

Just a genetics question

Can two black and white (mostly black with minimal white) dogs produce brown and white puppies and have a whole litter that is mostly white?

Just wondering what the likelihood of that happening is?

Thanks

Edited by mixeduppup

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would depend on the genetics behind the pups.

Certainly in border collies 2 black and whites can produce chocolate and white as the chocolate gene is recessive. Puppies need to have 2 copies of the gene to be that colour, if each parent has 1 copy of the gene then it is possible that they will be black and white yet produce puppies that are chocolate.

Excessive white also occurs in some lines too. A friend has a beautiful border collie with 2 pale blue eyes and totally white rom his shoulders forward. Not correct but he is a very striking dog to look at.

I own a WKC stud but am yet to breed any dogs. I've had pups (that I've bought and other people's that I've raised) and trained. Also colour genetics aren't a big priority in working dogs.

Edited by mixeduppup

I plan to. I emailed the WKC yesterday asking for info on colour genetics and that's why I'm doing research. Although I'm a black and tan groupie so my pups will all end up being that colour hopefully lol. I don't think my bitch has any red in her lineage at all and definitely no dilutes. So I'll make sure I do lots of research and then check whichever dog I choose colour background as well.

Edited by mixeduppup