Do Adult Dogs Know A Puppy Is A Puppy?

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

I ask this cause my oldest girl (who isn't old at all at 18 months) is extremely gentle with the puppy, she lets the puppy 'win' some games and shares her toys something I really thought would be a huge problem.

I've seen her play with adult dogs her size and she can be a whole lot rougher in terms of play, I just wonder if she's gentle because she knows the pup is still a pup? Do dogs know that?

1FA5ACF3-B073-4EE6-96AB-CCAB4BB97687-52333-0000831AEAD84B22.jpg

69B3671A-EF98-4164-8A33-EB3AF9E24DB1-52333-0000831AE56A4BE3.jpg

BAC20FE6-BFA7-4C52-8236-8A4010D1E96D-52333-0000831AF6C93887.jpg

Edited by donatella

Most do, by their own understood doggy body language. Some, like people dont care that it's a child, and will hurt it anyway but I would think the majority understand it's a pup and adjust their play accordingly. It's lovely to watch isn't it.

Guest donatella

It is. I wondered if she knew she was a baby or not but puppies are fairly submissive anyway and don't start fights.

I think sometimes dogs don't know that they're not puppies anymore.

A full grown newfy knocked my puppy girl from one side of a concrete garage floor to the other side, with a playful sweep of its right paw.

I believe they do. I've heard it called puppy licence. My Border Collie that doesn't like some dogs some of the time takes heaps from my young Japanese Spitz. From the time the JS came home he has used the border's tail & as he got bigger, her neck hair as a play thing. I was told by others that when he reached 9-12 months old she would finally get fed up & tell him off. Now at 15 months he's still doing it & she still lets him.

When did you get your puppy? I knew you were thinking of it but can't find where you found pup & got it.

Guest donatella

My toy obsessed older girl I have to watch with other dogs and her toys but she let's the pup play with hers no worries

0EDEE0F1-680B-42FE-B620-8884D6F034E9-52601-000083303EF39ACD.jpg

And they always sit facing each other, I'm sure they're conspiring against me

F1EAFA6A-DF2A-46B0-9041-CBA72FEB4C42-52601-00008330492AF16C.jpg

Yes, I believe they do. When Kyojin plays with puppies he lies down and lets them jump all over his face and lets them do whatever they want to him. He's very gentle with them and loves having a puppy climb all over him.

Yes they do. My puppy is losing/lost his puppy license. Before that he could get away with murder, or at least very rude behaviour. He can also be surprisingly gentle and will often lay down to play with baby puppies. My bitch seems to spend a lot of time nibbling baby puppies when playing. The only adult dogs she does this with are ones she is really familiar with.

My maremma is very tolerant and gentle with pups, yet with the older dogs he's quite boisterous and full on. Instead of growling if they do something wrong like try to steal his food, he'll just put a paw on them and they can't move lol. The Jack Russel is a jerk no matter what age they are and the kelpies are slightly more tolerant.

My two don't tolerate puppies at all. I have a friend with a rescue grey who doesn't tolerate them either so I don't know if it's a greyhound thing. It's not the fact that they are smaller than them, I have a friend who brings her adult foxie here often and my two are scared of her, she's a tad on the cranky side :laugh:. For my two couch potatoes I think they are just too full on. Any playful puppy that interupts Stan's 20 hours a day of beauty sleep is going to cop a stern talking to.

I think they do to...

Zig modifies his play depending on the age and size of the dog he is playing with...

He would rather play with the big boys that run fast and play hard but if there is only pups or smaller dogs to play with he is much gentler.

I also thought that pups had a sort of leeway with older dogs but I have since seen a older dog attack a young pup...

It was horrible to watch (I made a thread ages ago discussing why would a dog attack a pup?).

Guest donatella

OT but she is GORGEOUS don, she looks like a wee soft toy :love: what's her name?

Shes going through what's called the uglies at the moment and losing all her puppy coat before getting her big adult coat so looks gangly at the moment :laugh:

Her name is Bonnie so I have a Bonnie and Lucy, aren't they the cutest names ever?

I'm awaiting a swarovki crystal harness, collar and leash set to arrive from America for my little gorgeousness! Crazy dog lady right here :laugh:

It is. I wondered if she knew she was a baby or not but puppies are fairly submissive anyway and don't start fights.

Don't you kid yourself..not all puppies are submissive...our youngest beats the hell out of her sister who is six months older than her..she bites her ears, legs and beats up on her mercilessly. It really depends on who is more outgoing. At 9 months Emmalee was still quite submissive but Saffy at 3 months is pushy and doesn't back down! Now at 10 months and 5 respective she is starting to settle in her play.

OT but she is GORGEOUS don, she looks like a wee soft toy :love: what's her name?

Shes going through what's called the uglies at the moment and losing all her puppy coat before getting her big adult coat so looks gangly at the moment :laugh:

Her name is Bonnie so I have a Bonnie and Lucy, aren't they the cutest names ever?

I'm awaiting a swarovki crystal harness, collar and leash set to arrive from America for my little gorgeousness! Crazy dog lady right here :laugh:

:laugh: adorable. You're making me want one but my

Boofer would probably step on her :eek:

Pics of her in her Swarovski best when you get them mandatory!

Don't you kid yourself..not all puppies are submissive...our youngest beats the hell out of her sister who is six months older than her..she bites her ears, legs and beats up on her mercilessly. It really depends on who is more outgoing. At 9 months Emmalee was still quite submissive but Saffy at 3 months is pushy and doesn't back down! Now at 10 months and 5 respective she is starting to settle in her play.

This is so true of my youngest two. I wouldn't say either are submissive, most of all Beowulf. He was the top dog in the puppy pen and he's already ruling the adults and he's only 5 months old.

Edited by Bjelkier

Guest donatella

That's good to know, my little one might come out of her shell yet then although so far she shows signs of submissiveness but my older girl is a total bitch and is not scared to tell anyone she was here first if they challenge that.

I am top dog though, that is very apparent hehe :D