Purina - Bark In The Park - Adelaide

Bully

Purina "Bark in the Park"

Saturday 20th October in Rymill Park

10am - 2pm

Purina® Bark in the Park® is on again in Adelaide this year so get ready for a FREE day of fun with your dog, family and friends. From free samples, dog washing and photo shoots, to competitions and a Guinness world record attempt for the World's Loudest Bark, you'll find plenty to keep you and your dog entertained.

Great Activities:

Beneful® Dog Food Barn

Total Care® Dog Wash

Supercoat® Family Portraits

PetLife® Grooming Demonstrations

Ruffs® Agility Course

Wagwear® Fashion Boutique

Live Entertainment

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/241815-adelaide-random-meetups/

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/241777-sa-purina-bark-in-park-sat-20th-oct-2012/

Just for completeness. I will probably start somewhere around Victoria park - there's usually nice car parking between Angas and Halifax St - and walk after a burn around Vic Park - pedal prix permitting.

Sometimes there's good car parking at the East Terrace end of Flinders Street too - enter off Wakefield street. It's a little bit closer.

Pele has split a front toenail. It's very raw and tender atm :( Will have to see how she is Saturday. Don't know what car parking will be like and I won't want to walk her any distance on hard paving to get there :( I doubt that we will be there :(

I will be there with some of our rescue dogs :)

Do you need a dog to gain entry? As my dog recently passed away, I'd like to go just to see other people's dogs. Cheers.

We always need helpers to get more rescue dogs out and about, if you're interested in borrowing one for the day? :walkdog:

Had a lovely time with Miss Squish and Diesel and the evil beagle (Oakley?). Frosty was knacked by the end of the day. She did the agility course like she'd never seen one before. All I can put it down to is she had to stay on lead so there was no way she would do any of it when I was going the other side of a pole to her. I admit - I have asked her not to walk the other side of fence posts and street poles when I've got the lead on.

Lots of free samples of nestles/purina/supercoat dog food things.

Frosty really liked the vegemite coated sawdust biscuit.

(start rant)

Low light was looking for some advice on dealing with the level 10 distraction that I don't see coming ie after ignoring 1000 joggers - having a go at jogger number 1001. Got advised to restart recall training from the beginning. Also weighed evil hound on the scales to "discover" she was 2kg over weight and 1.5kg more than last time I weighed her.

But got home and reweighed - and she was normal weight. ARGH. I put 4 litres of water on the scales to verify they were working - yup - got that right, so can only think that the scales at the park were weighing 5% heavier than they should have been. Nasty. Got told not to feed her cheese treats - not even low fat - because one bit of cheese is like 7 scoops of icecream to a dog. Erm. Riiiiggghhhht. I do feed a lot of "treats" but most of it is kibble and it all comes off the dinner ration. I only use the high value treats for when she's a bit freaked out, or does something really good, like recalls off jogger 1001.

They really shouldn't let actors with scripts and dodgy scales give out dog care advice as best I can tell.

(end rant)

We didn't get on the channel 7 news but I swear they shot enough footage to make a 3 hour documentary series for purina. I was quite happy to plug AWL and donate to that cause.

Really good event. There could have been some more food and shade, but I'm just nitpicking. The best thing of the day was obviously the variety of dogs on show. And boy did some of them touch my heart. Especially the ones of rare breeds, and also the ones that came up to me. :)

The second best thing would have been that they played an 80s song which I'd been trying to find for ages. :) Anyway, did anybody else see the Asian Black Bear? :D When I first got there, I only counted one Great Dane. But by the end, I had counted about 10. And, so yeah, rock on Dane lovers!* :thumbsup:

Anyways then, later. :)

* Minus one who was rude.

PS: Thanks for the heads up, Bully! :grimace:

Edited by Penumbra

Glad to hear it was a good event! I've been tossing up about going since the Sydney one is right in the city and hard to find parking. It's also a bit of a drive. I think I'll be going though, sounds fun! :)