Importing Semen

alpha bet

I have just returned from Europe where I have been to view some dog activitiy (as well as holiday). Have seen a couple of lovely dogs and although I would love to import a dog or bitch just don't feel comfortable with putting a dog on a plan for such a long time.

Therefore would like some ideas of what the costs are for importing semen as well as the process and costs likely here for the AI with frozen semen.

Costs depends on where it is coming from.

Excluding stud fee, have about $3000 handy on average to cover vet fees for collection, shipping, import fees etc.

May cost you less, but may not. It may also cost you more, especially if you are not sharing a tank for shipping.

Waiting for a joint shipment if one is available can decrease costs significantly depending on how many you are sharing it with.

I recommend contacting a shipper to help you with everything.

I use Cryogenes and have found them to be excellent every time.

Costs for AI will depend on who you use and how close they are to you.

The length of time you board your bitch with the repro vet will change how much it costs.

If you are able to be on hand to manage the trips to the vet for progesterone testing yourself (every three days from about day 5 then every day once it starts to rise)

then you save boarding fees - otherwise it is best the bitch is boarded on site.

Without boarding fees or with minimal boarding put aside around $1000 for progesterone tests and AI etc and that should about cover it.

Edited by espinay2

I have just returned from Europe where I have been to view some dog activitiy (as well as holiday). Have seen a couple of lovely dogs and although I would love to import a dog or bitch just don't feel comfortable with putting a dog on a plan for such a long time.

Therefore would like some ideas of what the costs are for importing semen as well as the process and costs likely here for the AI with frozen semen.

I agree, contact Cryogenes in Melbourne they make it so easy. I am using them at the moment to bring semen in from America and they have done everything. The first time I imported semen I did it all myself and never again. This is the second time I have used crogenes

Ian

Im lucky that I live an easy distance to Michael Bell, so therefore should make it a bit easier. So basically I can add about $1,000 to the costs of Cyrogenics.... so a fairly expensive exercise but then if i get a good sized litter it can be worth it for the new bloodlines.

Im lucky that I live an easy distance to Michael Bell, so therefore should make it a bit easier. So basically I can add about $1,000 to the costs of Cyrogenics.... so a fairly expensive exercise but then if i get a good sized litter it can be worth it for the new bloodlines.

I class every litter as a loss of money to breed what i need for the next generation. I dont even consider the thought of even breaking even.

I look at the cost of the semen and the insemination and the raising of the litter as the cost of getting what i need for myself

Ian

I class every litter as a loss of money to breed what i need for the next generation. I dont even consider the thought of even breaking even.

I look at the cost of the semen and the insemination and the raising of the litter as the cost of getting what i need for myself

Ian

I understand that and have yet to come close to breaking even BUT I do think that we shouldnt think that making a profit is a bad thing!! Many that I know that have made a lucky profit have put it back into their breeding program.

If more ethical breeders actually made a profit from litters by charging appropriately can you imagine the power it would give them to produce amazing examples of their breed?? I would love to import semen for my girl but honestly dont have the spare cash to do so- if I knew the litter were not going to set me back a couple of grand then maybe I would risk it but you cant and I do think that is why the number of pure bred pups being born is dropping.

Ian

I understand that and have yet to come close to breaking even BUT I do think that we shouldnt think that making a profit is a bad thing!! Many that I know that have made a lucky profit have put it back into their breeding program.

If more ethical breeders actually made a profit from litters by charging appropriately can you imagine the power it would give them to produce amazing examples of their breed?? I would love to import semen for my girl but honestly dont have the spare cash to do so- if I knew the litter were not going to set me back a couple of grand then maybe I would risk it but you cant and I do think that is why the number of pure bred pups being born is dropping.

There is no "profit" when the money goes back into the dogs as it usually does. Money from puppies becomes turnover and that is very different to profit. Profit is what the tax department wants to know about at the end of the year after you have deducted all expenses. I don't know any reputable breeder that the tax department classes as a business because they make a profit.

alpha bet, good luck with the plan but do consider that a lot of frozen semen pregnancies only produce one puppy and often none at all.

You only need one pup..if it's a good one! :)

Honestly, after my last work to import semen, it would have been less stressful and cheaper to put the dog on a plane and send him over for six months or so....testing is still the same whether he came or just the semen which in my opinion is absolutely nuts.

Angelsun - would love to bring the dog over but the costs are prohibitive and 30 hours travel each way would not be taken lightly by the owner.

The best solution would be to purhase an older bitch in pup and then hope for a nice litter and still have the bitch with potentional for another litter but this is not an easy solution and so much rests on the breeder overseas. Even then I could be looking at costs of about $7,000 plus price for bitch.

Importing seman and AI for bitch appears to be about $3,500 - and would hope for a few pups to help even out the costs.

It is not about making a profit but it is about being practical. Breeders should be trying to at least break even or as someone else stated we could easily end up with less and less breeders and therefore what would be the future for pure breed dogs. Many breeders even make it difficult for others to even get into breeding as they are so restrictive about selling breeding stock to anyone else. If we are not careful in ten to fifteen years we could all end up living with 'Oodles'......

In answer to your original question I agree with Cryogenes. In addition to trying to share a container, the actual country you wish to import from will make a difference in the final costs, so maybe you could speak to them and find out which countries are most economical and see if you can get your desired bloodline from those countries instead. Or ask if the stud dog will be travelling to those countries soon for big shows?

Edited by Saffioraire

Ian

There is no "profit" when the money goes back into the dogs as it usually does. Money from puppies becomes turnover and that is very different to profit. Profit is what the tax department wants to know about at the end of the year after you have deducted all expenses. I don't know any reputable breeder that the tax department classes as a business because they make a profit.

alpha bet, good luck with the plan but do consider that a lot of frozen semen pregnancies only produce one puppy and often none at all.

That is absolutely not true. Frozen semen technology now a days is fantastic and rates of success are very high. Working in the industry for the number of years that I did, whilst there were "some" singleton litters and "some" that didn't result in a pregnancy, the instances of successful implantation far outweighed these.

I have ventured into frozen semen twice and it has gone very well both times. Both times the insemination was successfull and the litters produced 12 and 10 puppies.

That makes me feel a little better - will have to seriously consider - after all the boy I like is pretty special.

post-23842-0-13825100-1350557245_thumb.jpg

I have ventured into frozen semen twice and it has gone very well both times. Both times the insemination was successfull and the litters produced 12 and 10 puppies.

That makes me feel a little better - will have to seriously consider - after all the boy I like is pretty special.

post-23842-0-13825100-1350557245_thumb.jpg

Alpha Bet.

I PMd you a while back, did you get it? :)

Alphabet - mayby try and contact Brandyark also. They have done a couple of imported semen litters, with good results. It may be worthwhile to have a chat?!

The boy looks lovely - is he from the UK?! Thornapple?

Good on you for considering too! I would like to look into importing semen down the line, but at the moment I financially can't make the decision. I think it's what our breed needs to encourage and introduce some new bloodlines :)

Edited by leopuppy04

The boy is from Poland.... but from American Imports into Europe. I am looking for some new bloodlines as my bitches are all from my first girl. it is so difficult trying to even buy a nice bitch pup in Australia - very closed shop breeders seem to only have stock for sale on limited.

Where is Brandyark.....

Saw some stock there which come from JJ Kennels however they don't really fit what I need.

Parkeye I did send a message back....

Edited by alpha bet