Suggestions For Qld Locals

mumof4girls

Hi guys, I am organising a breed specific get together and The people I am inviting are from gold coast, sunshine coast', ipswich, everton park etc so the destination doesn't matter that much as someone will need to travel. I was wanting a place that ideally is fenced but an unfencd area fairly safe ie away from busy roads would be OK. A place the dogs can play and owners can get to know each other as it will be the first time we actually meet face to face. I don't venture out much so I am really not sure where to go and I want this to be a fairly regular getogether .

Does anyone have suggestions, Could be a beach, a lake, nice park?? It will be for November, these are airdales so prob not a place that little dogs visit lol we might barrel them over and prob not a busy dog park .. Any ideas experiences of nice places would ge greatly appreciated as I just doing searches and reading reviews at the moment. :-)

Peiradise has Peinics at an off leash park at Nudgee Beach because people are coming from all over as well. It is not a huge park but it does have a covered area if it is rainy. People without pei who just happen to turn up at the same time must be very shocked to see so many of us there at the same time taking over the place but there have never been any complaints and no dog fights that I have ever seen.

So I would suggest an off leash dog park that has lots of shade trees and probably some covered tables for the humans to leave their gear out of reach of doggy mouths if needed. Search 'off leash areas south east queensland' and you might come up with something nice. Maybe also consider parking if there will be a lot of cars and dogs - I'd be wanting off road parking just in case.

Kalinga dog park may also suit. It is smaller than Nudgee Beach, has onsite parking, a gazebo if it rains (not as big as the one at Nudgee).

There is also another dog park on Nudgee Rd Nudgee near the Shell Service Station on the left hand side as you head north (well before the Nudgee Beach dog park). It is fenced on three sides and the fourth is a lake. Just depends if Airedales will swim. It is not as well used as Nudgee Beach and is a bit bigger.

Edited by Ams

There is a fenced offleash park just near Nudgee Beach that I have NEVER seen anybody use. Its just opposite the service centre/garage, etc and right at the turn off for Nudgee Beach. Its a tiny bit smaller than Nudgee Beach one but as I said I have never seen anybody use it.

ha...was going to suggest you ask Peiradise people but theyve beaten me to it.

I should go to QLD one week and we could have a pei meet one day and a 'dale one the next ...or better yet - all together! laugh.gif

wish we had fenced in parks here

Edited by Cat

Kroll Gardens is great - but it does get quite busy on weekends etc - it is HUGE, so there is plenty of space although everyone seems to gather nearest the water and toilet block.The undercover area is pretty small and open sided so no good in the rain. There is a good agility course.

We usually go a bit further down the park as if there is ever trouble ( very rare but have seen the odd scuffle), it is usually up in the busy area.

There is plenty of shade further down and some nice benches etc. I would just take a couple of water bowls with you and go a bit further into the park.

There is a fenced off pond/lake but snakes have been seen in the water and although there are people who open the gate and let their dogs jump in (despite warnings) I would never let my two in there. The separate small dog enclosure is currently closed as Moreton Council are lopping some of the trees along the back perimeter fence.

There is an Airedale called Harry who is a regular, in addition to the Shar Pei Picnic I have seen Bulldogs, Great Danes and Huskies all have get togethers there.

I would say peak times are around 8-9am from 3.30pm onwards in the afternoons in case you want to avoid those times.

Sweeney's Reserve at Petrie is another good dog park but I would check with the council to see if the fences are repaired - they were destroyed in the floods. Three sides are (usually) fenced and the fourth side is bordered by the river so the dogs can swim there. It also used to have toilets, bbq's etc but again not too sure how far the rebuilding has got.

There's a fenced dog park at Lake Windemere near the Rocks Riverside Park in Jindalee. It's 2 dog parks next to each other (one for small dogs and the much bigger one for bigger dogs) . I was there on a Sat morning and there was only one other dog using the park. If you're considering the Gold Coast, I love the off leash beach at Fingal Head ( close to the light house). It's a beautiful stretch of beach and wasn't crowded during the week we were there. It was wasted on our tibbies who did not like the sand or surf. One of our tibbies took off back to the house when he got wet from a wave!

I went to a dog day out at the Nudgee dog park. it wasn't to bad but there were no toilets and all of the tables were taken while we were there. We all ended up going to the beach up the road (not fenced) for a BBQ and took the dogs out on the mudflats for a play in the water, it was much better there than the actual dog park.

Oh I forgot about the toilets at Nudgee Beach (or lack thereof). I usually have a long drive home so need to stop at one of those a la natural toilets at the boat ramp just down the road. My eyes water and I have to hold my breath for the duration of my piddling. There is just no oxygen! It's awful!

There is a very discreet (mostly unknown) huge well fenced dog off leash park which is just off the Gateway motorway (Deagon Deviation section), corner of Telegraph Road and lemke road Bracken Ridge there is huge parking area just off the round a bout with gate entrance there and also another gate entrance in Telegraph road, no shelters lots of shade trees, water available for human and dogs, seats, a small gully when it has been wet, backs onto the Lost dogs home, Due to the laneway entrance which is not signposted it is hard to find if not a local. No onsite toilets but service station across road.

There is also a Dog off leash area in Marchant Park at Chermside just after the main entrance on right, only problem with this one is limited parking due to all the shoppers clogging up the park now there is paid parking in the shops across the road It does have shelter, water, ground is not that dog friendly quite stoney and ants around. Another is the smaller very new off leash park in Beams Road on left behind St Flannens School just before small bridge crossing.

A great one is behind Hungry jacks on Gympie road at Carseldine, this one has the lot and is accessible by driving around behind the truckies stop.

There is also a good one at end of Muller Road at Taigum where it backs onto Freeway quick access off the freeway at Boondall onto Sandgate Road then into Roghan Road and right into Muller road drive to very end.

On the Southside the huge one in Meadowlands Road at Carina also has a mini dog agility course, toilets in park nearby, heaps parking, picnic facilities etc, and this one is accessible straight off the freeway either from South or North, it can get busy on W/e

Hope this is helpful :)