Is Advantix Better Than A Preventic Collar

quangle

Hi,

I have been reading the tic threads and it seems proban is the go for tics but is not available anymore.

There is a big difference in price between the Advantix and the preventic collar. My dog doesn't swim, so the collar would be ok, but I want to use the most effective product.

Does the Preventic collar do the job, or should I cough up for the Advantix? Or is there a better option?

Thanks

I asked this question at the vets yesterday and they recommended using both - expensive when you have two medium size dogs and there's still no guarantee.

I will use both because I'm paranoid when it comes to ticks as I have two long haired dogs

I would use both in a high risk tick area remembering that the collar is not water fast & once wet becomes ineffective. Where as Advantix is water fast but the dog mustn't be washed for 48 hours after application & must be applied every 2 weeks. Daily checking is a must, ears, chest, between toes & behind stoppers. Some of the ticks fav spots. From head to toe check with your fingertips going against the hair growth, including mouth & butt :)

Edited by BC Crazy

I wouldn't use a tick collar, not just because my dogs are swimming everyday, but also because of the chance of them mouthing each others tick collars & also myself & grandkids getting the stuff on their hands or face. I am in a very high tick area & use Frontline Plus, and every now & then switching to Advantix so that the little buggers don't build up an immunity. I find it works best if distributed fairly evenly all the way down the back from the base of the neck to the base of the tail making sure it is applied to the skin. Also I don't let them get wet for two days after. I have a small supply of Proban left which I keep for when I have to leave them with someone & I have ordered a couple of these Flea & Tick Repeller Not sure if it will work, but it got good reviews & anything is worth a try & nothing takes the place of daily searching.

Thanks for the replies. As I have kids who like to lie all over the dog and and snuggle with their faces, I think the collar is out. I have also now read that they can smell, and our girl is mostly an indoor dog.

I will be going with the Advantix. There is a 12pk for $116.50 at Dr Daves Vet Products. Anyone know of anything cheaper?

thanks again

Sheena, just wondering if Grevillea cottage is in Grevillea? We live in Kyogle. Small world if so. :)

No....We called it Grevillea Cottage many years ago when I went mad on planting grevilleas, then we had a nursery by the same name & the name has just stuck. We are not far away, though, just north of Coffs Harbour & south of Grafton.

In relation to your original question: Advantix v Tick Collar.

Advantix is a topical and is applied fortnight and is the only product available that kills and REPELS ticks and other biting insects. It has an efficacy (efficiency) of 98% and daily searching for Paralysis ticks is ALWAYS recommended for ANY treatments.

Tick collars: Have an efficacy (efficiency) Kiltix is 92% kill and 50% repellency.

Preventic Efficacy 52% kill and 27% repellency.

As you stated you have small children that like to kiss cuddle and could suck the collar it is probably not your product of choice.

Collars are extremely good to use in conjunction with Advantix (applied fortnightly) and tick collars are to be replaced each 6 weeks for paralysis ticks. (6 monthly for fleas and other ticks (non paralysis).

If a tick collar gets wet it is still effective, but takes a full 24 - 48 hours to dry out and commence redisseminating the active ingredients. So the dog is unprotected during this time.

For very high tick pressure areas (ie Coffs harbour, Port Macquarie, Warners Bay, Sydney Northern Beaches, Blue mountains, Grafton and norther coastal areas and Most of QLd) the ultimate protection is advantix fortnightly and a Kiltix collar for 6 weeks and a DAILY tick check (by feel Not visual).

Re the comments above ie Buying an XL dog size and Splitting it by syringe, THIS PRACTICE is extremely dangerous and totally unsafe for tick protection. The active ingredients of Imidicloprid and Permethrin are suspended in an emulsion called methylpyrilliodine. This emulsion DOES NOT "MIX" the active ingredients EVENLY even with shaking The active particles stay self suspended. So by dividing the dose, you may actually be drawing up pure emulsion and NO ACTIVES, thereby giving one dog a dose of NOTHING and the other dog a dose that is for the weight range stated on the packaging. IT IS SERIOUSLY DANGEROUS and absolutely leaving your dogs at risk of DEATH.

It is a bit like pouring an alcoholic spirit drink when you see the alcohol at the bottom and the coke on top. The difference being when you mix the drink it stays mixed. Methylpyrilliodine DOES NOT stay mixed EVER. the other additives in topicals are bittering agents to deter other dogs (or children) from tasting or licking off the actives at the time of application, and a stabiliser to assist the product to stay active and keep shelf life until the expiry date of the product.

Also Ticks and fleas cannot build immunity against Advantix, advantage or advocate whatsoever. A Flea Susceptibility Study has been completed by a range of independent vets from around the world and the results are available if anyone requires them PM me.

Re bathing and topicals. Always apply topicals to a 100% dry dog and do not bath for at least 8 hours (advantage Family products) After that time the product is in place in the lipid layer of skin which is waterfast for the full period of time stated between applications. It is preferable that you shampoo in a soap free shampoo. DO NOT USE FLEA SHAMPOOS. they are not required. The actives of Imidicloprid are 100% effective against fleas for the full 1 month after application. Imidicloprid kills fleas and ticks on contact within 3 - 5 minutes.

Frontline has different active ingredients (fipronil) and behaves and works totally different. It has no repellency against ticks or fleas and the fleas still need to bite to get a dose. it has an efficacy of 67%. Frontline needs 48 hours before and after application before bathing.

Also ticks cannot build immunity to Advantix. They can, however, build immunity to Fipronil (frontline). A recent Flea Susceptibility Study conducted by Independent vets from around the world has been completed and the results have been published. if you would like to see this please PM me for details

I hope this helps.

Edited by nowstarin

I use Advantix rather than a tick collar. When off leash at the dog park, my two love to go swimming in the creek, which would render the collars ineffective. Also, I'd worry about Kirah chewing on Zeus's collar -- or her own for that matter as she's chewed through many of her own nylon collars overnight.

In relation to your original question: Advantix v Tick Collar.

Advantix is a topical and is applied fortnight and is the only product available that kills and REPELS ticks and other biting insects. It has an efficacy (efficiency) of 98% and daily searching for Paralysis ticks is ALWAYS recommended for ANY treatments.

Tick collars: Have an efficacy (efficiency) Kiltix is 92% kill and 50% repellency.

Preventic Efficacy 52% kill and 27% repellency.

As you stated you have small children that like to kiss cuddle and could suck the collar it is probably not your product of choice.

Collars are extremely good to use in conjunction with Advantix (applied fortnightly) and tick collars are to be replaced each 6 weeks for paralysis ticks. (6 monthly for fleas and other ticks (non paralysis).

If a tick collar gets wet it is still effective, but takes a full 24 - 48 hours to dry out and commence redisseminating the active ingredients. So the dog is unprotected during this time.

For very high tick pressure areas (ie Coffs harbour, Port Macquarie, Warners Bay, Sydney Northern Beaches, Blue mountains, Grafton and norther coastal areas and Most of QLd) the ultimate protection is advantix fortnightly and a Kiltix collar for 6 weeks and a DAILY tick check (by feel Not visual).

Re the comments above ie Buying an XL dog size and Splitting it by syringe, THIS PRACTICE is extremely dangerous and totally unsafe for tick protection. The active ingredients of Imidicloprid and Permethrin are suspended in an emulsion called methylpyrilliodine. This emulsion DOES NOT "MIX" the active ingredients EVENLY even with shaking The active particles stay self suspended. So by dividing the dose, you may actually be drawing up pure emulsion and NO ACTIVES, thereby giving one dog a dose of NOTHING and the other dog a dose that is for the weight range stated on the packaging. IT IS SERIOUSLY DANGEROUS and absolutely leaving your dogs at risk of DEATH.

It is a bit like pouring an alcoholic spirit drink when you see the alcohol at the bottom and the coke on top. The difference being when you mix the drink it stays mixed. Methylpyrilliodine DOES NOT stay mixed EVER. the other additives in topicals are bittering agents to deter other dogs (or children) from tasting or licking off the actives at the time of application, and a stabiliser to assist the product to stay active and keep shelf life until the expiry date of the product.

Also Ticks and fleas cannot build immunity against Advantix, advantage or advocate whatsoever. A Flea Susceptibility Study has been completed by a range of independent vets from around the world and the results are available if anyone requires them PM me.

Re bathing and topicals. Always apply topicals to a 100% dry dog and do not bath for at least 8 hours (advantage Family products) After that time the product is in place in the lipid layer of skin which is waterfast for the full period of time stated between applications. It is preferable that you shampoo in a soap free shampoo. DO NOT USE FLEA SHAMPOOS. they are not required. The actives of Imidicloprid are 100% effective against fleas for the full 1 month after application. Imidicloprid kills fleas and ticks on contact within 3 - 5 minutes.

Frontline has different active ingredients (fipronil) and behaves and works totally different. It has no repellency against ticks or fleas and the fleas still need to bite to get a dose. it has an efficacy of 67%. Frontline needs 48 hours before and after application before bathing.

Also ticks cannot build immunity to Advantix. They can, however, build immunity to Fipronil (frontline). A recent Flea Susceptibility Study conducted by Independent vets from around the world has been completed and the results have been published. if you would like to see this please PM me for details

I hope this helps.

:thumbsup: Thanks for that!

There is a 12pk for $116.50 at Dr Daves Vet Products. Anyone know of anything cheaper?

I'd be amazed if you found it cheaper than that. My work sells 6 packs for only a little bit less than that! Of course we pay freight, overheads, etc but that's honest to god, cheaper than our cost price!!!! I pay cost price + 20% to cover taxes and still pay more than that!

What it comes down to for me (price wise) is that i'll pay that relatively small amount to hopefully avoid a $1000 vet bill

When I lived in a high tick area my dog had ticks pretty constantly with frontline plus and advantix.

When I switched to permoxin the ticks stopped.

Waking up to your dog being paralysed at his rear end is quite distressing, and I wouldn't want to go through it again.