Did I Do Something Wrong In This Situation?

Leelaa17

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've been on here so I hope this is still the right place to post this question.

I'll start from the beginning.

I have been walking my two GSD (on leash of course) for about an hour every night around my suburb. When a dogwould be coming our way I would cross the road because Max and Jenna would go crazy and bark and lunge. Anyway, the past few weeks I have been training them not to focus on any dogs around us and focus on me. I have stopped (still across the road - we're not at that stage yet!) and talked to them and just tried to keep them calm, while i stay calm. Anyway, it has been a HUGE success.

they are pretty calm when dogs walk past and neither of them bark anymore - I still talk to them though beause they still get excited somewhat...

Anyway, we were walking to our local park tonight (not an off-leash park), because we walk through it... and I saw oan offleash dog just as we got to the entrance of the park. I stopped and held max and jenna firmly (I wrap the leads around my hands to get better control of them). They were fine. A bit excited but they weren't barking - just watching the dog. The dog was making eye contact (it was some sort of bordie collie looking breed, although it wasn't a bordie collie - I don't think!) and it was low down and started sneaking towards us. I spent the whole time keeping max and jenna calm - assuming the owner would put the dog on lead - he didn't - the dog came up to max and jenna, max and jenna went for the dog, the owner quickly came over and grabbed the dog and took him away.

Think it can't get worse? Well max went between my legs and pulled himself out of his harness andwent over to the dog.Now I wasn't worried about max because I knew he would just sniff him. Which he did. However, I was holding Jenna and could NOT get max back in the harness so I asked the guy to hold Jenna for me (his gf was holding the other dog) while I fixed max up.

I should note that when max and jenna went for the dog, i lost my balance and was dragged about 30cm across the concrete - for which i have a bloodied back and leg.

My question, after all of that, is - did I do something wrong in this situation? Should I have done anything? Should I have turned around and walked away?

I thought Max's harness was fine, wasn't too tight or too loose, but I guess I was wrong.

I am just concerned because there were a lot of people in the park and I'm scared someone is going to report Max and Jenna for being "dangerous" when I don't think it was their fault...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hard to know. Perhaps you could have called to the man and told/asked him to call his dog back because it was eyeballing yours and they're on lead and feeling vulnerable. Tighten the harness too. How did the bloke react, was he Ok when you asked him to hold Jenna?

The guy was lovely. That's why I'm not as mad as I would've been.

And that is true Dogmad. Although Jenna is a very VERY small GSD (not tht that makes much of a difference, she's still got some strength behind her) but she's 2yo and only 26kg so she's quite small.

I used to walk them one at a time but then decided to start walking them both together. They've become much better at walking with me as well.

Maybe I should start walking them separately again.

Thank you for being kind.

Put your dogs in collars - if your were dragged 30m you do not have any control. What would have happened if you'd been dragged across a road?? Tightening the leash just builds frustration, keep the leash loose and pop to correct.

I'm not going to say that you were 'wrong' but if you can't recall your dog you shouldn't be allowing it off leash.

eta, sorry, just re-read that it wasn't an off leash park.

Edited by SecretKei

Put your dogs in collars - if your were dragged 30m you do not have any control. What would have happened if you'd been dragged across a road?? Tightening the leash just builds frustration, keep the leash loose and pop to correct.

I'm not going to say that you were 'wrong' but if you can't recall your dog you shouldn't be allowing it off leash.

Sorry, I was dragged 30cm not metres.

So collars are more effective than harnesses you think? (honest question), when I used to use them I felt like I had less control when they were on collars than now that they're in harnesses.

And also, I didn't allow my dog offleash - he slipped out of his harness. Obviously because it wasn't tight enough. But I understand what you are saying and will try the pop technique next time. Thank you :)

That's ok :)

reread again.. 30cm, not 30m ;). All the same I think it's fair to say that the neither owner had adequate control of their dogs in the situation.

Sometimes accidents happen. I don't see the point in rehashing everything in fine detail but I think if there's one thing that you take away from this it should be that your boy is able to escape his harness and needs something extra to ensure he stays on lead and under control. I'm not sure of the technical term for them but you can buy little connectors that connect the harness to the collar or the head collar to the collar, etc that give you that extra bit of assurance that they are not going to get off. I also don't think it's a good idea to walk two decent sized dogs together, especially if one has issues with other dogs (I am assuming)

Sorry, I was dragged 30cm not metres.

So collars are more effective than harnesses you think? (honest question), when I used to use them I felt like I had less control when they were on collars than now that they're in harnesses.

And also, I didn't allow my dog offleash - he slipped out of his harness. Obviously because it wasn't tight enough. But I understand what you are saying and will try the pop technique next time. Thank you :)

Good to hear it wasn't 30m!!

Yes, I would definitely use collars over a harness. Martingales as they are impossible for your dogs to slip, or fur-savers locked into place high on the nexk with a s/s carabiner clip. Personally I use prong collars to walk 2 large dogs.

Harness encourage most dogs to pull and, as you have found, can be easy to slip.

Hard to say, but when I see an offleash dog I do an emergency uturn ( something I've trained my dogs for) and walk in the opposite direction, all while praising them in a clam voice.

By holding their collars tight you most probably increased their frustration levels. When dogs stare it is essential that you break their focus. I do this often and while it is a pain to have to change your route, it I'd the safest thing to do,

There are some great techniques for getting your dogs to calm down when they see something that aroused them - "look st that" being one of them. I would walk two reactive dogs together regardless of size - they egg eachother on.

Take them out on their own until they are both trained to ignore other dogs, people, bikes, etc and that they know to leave you to step in front of them if approached in what seemed an agressive manner.

hanging on for dear life and thinking to yourself 'oh dear god please please come and put your dog on a lead' is not Alpha behaviour so your dogs took the situation into their own hands. dragging 30m just confirms the fact they are not listening to you. You have to learn to correct the dog before they become fixated and then try to do what they like.

When we first got the second dog I took him out on his own for the first week or so until he showed he would listen to the choke chain corrections (yes having them in just a harness makes it easy to overpower you if they get their heads down too). Now its easier with one older dog who has learnt how to walk on the leads many years ago as I just put them in a tandem order with her in front and he is in the triangle with her lead across at chest level and she is on one side and im on the other. In recent days he's ignored joggers and bikes (though Im ready to correct him the second the ears stayed pricked before that fixated moment) but still goes nuts at other dogs going past. I will make them stop and sit and let the other dog past as two dogs over 20kg decide to take off Im not going to hold them (however with one being a lot older and allowed off lead during the walk I have the option to drop one lead if I have to as a lsat resort). Now instead of leaping in the air on approach he leaps into the air when they are halfway past - its been 4 weeks abd still got a long way to go but its not about us all being calm its about a young dog listening to me.

Maybe consider trying haltis on them to make it a bit easier to control them in iffy situations.

It sounds like they might need some more leash training as well, I would find a pro to help you with that since they are fairly big dogs. I walk my two 30-ish kg dogs together without too much trouble. Even if I only walked one at a time they each weigh about half as much as me and could probably get away if they really wanted to.

Edited by BlackJaq

Thank you all so much for your comments!

I have heard of those connecter things skitch! They sound like a good idea.

And SecretKei I was considering buying prong collars for both of them. I have used a prong collar on Jenna before and it worked wonders.

thank you all again!!

I would recommend to walk separately, or recruit a helpful friend or family member that can walk one dog, until they are fully trained and reliable with other dogs :) Harnesses should fit snugly, same as a collar, two fingers underneath and no more. If the dog can wiggle a leg up and out, they can get out of the harness!

Definately get rid of the harnesses, you can't really control your dog with them and if they aren't tight enough they are fairly easy for the dog to slip :)

Also walk seperately until they are more under control or if you must walk together I like SK's recommendation and get prong collars as they are big strong dogs that need them :)

If you are walking two together I would use a halti or something like that and have it secured onto a well fitting collar as I know with my exs shepherd it gave me complete confidence to walk him as he couldn't pull with any strength, I also found I could correct the pulling behaviour and direct him away from dogs. Harnesses encourage pulling ...

Scary :(

have you had any 1:1 training from a professional with these dogs?

I strongly suggest you consider it , for several reasons .. it will really help with your confidence and the way you react to things ..and will also help with how to control your dogs .

..:o and may I suggest you not wrap the leash tightly around your hands .... this is one thing I was taught from day 1 .. when you (and your dogs) learn communication and control ..esp. vocal control .. the leash becomes just another communication device.. it is not a restraint .

Restraint ideally comes from within...

It is so hard when unexpected things crop up ..and the mind starts seeing all sorts of outcomes ....but think if those dogs suddenly either got in a bad fight, or they were dragging you onto a road perhaps .. with the leash wrapped tight around a wrist/hand , there is more likelihood of you being badly injured :( :(

I'm glad everything turned out ok... :)

Edited by persephone

Just think about what I use a harness for with a racing dog.

It enhances the pulling power.

I feel much safer walking my dog in a slip or half slip collar, I can feel her move and correct as needed.

Absolutely agree, a harness gives the least possible control unless it is one of the ones designed to stop them pulling. when walking out in public all dogs should have a collar they cannot slip out of, even if you have a harness or halti on as well.

Many dogs will react like yours if there are two of them together. Two are a pack and resent the other dog intruding. It doesn't make them aggressive or reactive, it makes them dogs. The other dog should not have been allowed to approach but you need to ensure that you have suitable collars and leads to give you enough control. For a collar to be effective it needs to be placed high behind the ears and not be able to slip over the head. I prefer martingales so the dogs don't associate any pain with seeing another dog but they cannot escape either.

Glad to hear nothing bad happened. I have a couple of GSD's too and whilst they are well trained, you just never know what is around the corner so I always walk them on black dog head halti's. I have found them far superior to anything else on the market and you can order them online.

Some training would certainly help too. Good Luck :)