Soooo Many Puppies In The Pet Shop Window

Tazar

What an appalling site to see this morning, four glass boxes in the window of the new pet shop: :mad:banghead:

Box 1 7-8 something x poodle

Box 2 7-8 Golden Retrievers

Box 3 3-4 Huskies (around 10-12 weeks old at a guess) plus 2-3 of another breed

Box 4 7-8 of lots of different breeds

Over crowding to the max. I spoke to a lady out the front who said she went in to ask about the GR's and they had no papers which was no surprise to me as a reputable breeder would never do this. Another lady at the bank said the police had come in yesterday as someone had complained. I walked in and was telling my 5 year old in a very loud voice about puppy farmers and that this is so wrong that these puppies are here and the owners of the shop should be ashamed of themselves. No-one challenged me which is probably a good thing as my blood was boiling. I couldn't get out of the shopping centre quick enough and I am still so angry.... :mad :mad :mad :mad

Edited by Tazar

What an appalling site to see this morning, four glass boxes in the window of the new pet shop: :mad:banghead:

Box 1 around 7-8 cavoodles (?) or something x poodle

Over crowding to the max. I spoke to a lady out the front who said she went in to ask about the GR's and they had no papers which was no surprise to me as a reputable breeder would never do this. Another lady at the bank said the police had come in yesterday as someone had complained. I walked in and was telling my 5 year old in a very loud voice about puppy farmers and that this is so wrong that these puppies are here and the owners of the shop should be ashamed of themselves. No-one challenged me which is probably a good thing as my blood was boiling. I couldn't get out of the shopping centre quick enough and I am still so angry.... :mad :mad :mad :mad

:( Sadly it is never going to change as money makes the world go round these days, where as it used to be common sense * sigh* puppy farmers are always going to be able to breed mass amounts and pet shops are always going to be able to sell them because that is their proposed purpose " pet shop" the government has had many people send in emails letters do protests etc but bottom line money is all that matters and they get taxes from these places. And lets face it the PM bought a puppy farm dog herself....

IMO: I would take the word "cav***le out of your post as it may be seens as promoting DD dogs

Tazor, blood boiling x 2 + extremely sickened & sad :(

When is the sale of poor little innocent puppies stuffed into artificle glass cabinets to be brought on a whim, like you were buying something insignificent ever going to end :( when the buck stops.

Good on for Tazor for at least having your say. I can't even go there as it just upsets me too much.

Box 1 around 7-8 cavoodles (?) or something x poodle

I have seen Malamute puppies in a pet shop window. While this is horrible for all puppies, it is particularly horrible to be crowded in a small glass case for large active breeds like GRs and Huskies.

The pet shop is on the second level right abpve the main stage. The ANZ bank has just moved next door. The shaver shop is on the other side (I think it is still there, can't say I noticed today though) then Toys R Us is just round the corner.

Still :mad

You're not allowed to put different litters and species in the same enclosure together by standards. If they're mixing them or over crowding call the local council, take photos and give them also to centre management.

Mmmm school holidays and christmas, when any compassion towards living creatures dies in the arse.

Yeah, I saw Sibes and GSDs in the Melbourne Central one a few weeks ago. And some teenage girls going "I could just come in here and buy one with my birthday money!!". Nearly died, walked away...

They're still there too :'(

I walk past them every single day through to work on Lonsdale St. :'(

Every morning I walk past when the shop is still closed and all I can hear are puppy cries and screams. :'(

Yeah, I saw Sibes and GSDs in the Melbourne Central one a few weeks ago. And some teenage girls going "I could just come in here and buy one with my birthday money!!". Nearly died, walked away...

They're still there too :'(

I walk past them every single day through to work on Lonsdale St. :'(

Every morning I walk past when the shop is

closed and all I can hear are puppy cries and screams. :'(

OMG, that is just so tragic & very sad. Those poor puppies. Both big, strong breeds that need a very dedicated owner I would imagine. Doubt that it going to happen given the unfortunate start these poor pups have been dealt :(

You're not allowed to put different litters and species in the same enclosure together by standards. If they're mixing them or over crowding call the local council, take photos and give them also to centre management.

Mmmm school holidays and christmas, when any compassion towards living creatures dies in the arse.

Actually DPI states "Where possible, puppies and kittens from different sources should be housed separately to reduce the spread of contagious diseases." It is not possible as the pet shop will loose money! So they are allowed to be together, still following up on the overcrowding though...

While in my opinion the sooner these places go out of business the better, there are minimum standards at present and if the amounts of the puppies are correct they are being held illegally. They are not allowed to have more than 4 per cage. And that depends on the weight of the animals. More than likely the larger breeds are already over 3 kg and so they can only have 2 per cage. Not nearly good enough, but a start. They can in some instances have more, but the size of the cages must be much bigger for each additional animal. Given that we know that Pets Paradise always have the smallest cage sizes possible, so they can have more animals shoved into them, we know that they are not going to be allowed to go over the minimum. In order to house the different breeds together they would need to prove that they came from the same source. Since 99% of them are dumped by backyard breeders then that is incredibly unlikely.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/pets/about-pets/legislation-and-regulation/domestic-animal-businesses/operation-of-pet-shops

I would report it to:

The local council animal control

The RSPCA

The Department of Primary Industries

I would not rely on someone else saying they reported it, I would be doing it myself to each of them and encouraging every single person who has personally seen them and has a problem to do the same. It will at least make the conditions the poor pups are living in, slightly more tolerable. They are not committing a crime per say, it is a civil offence and for that reason the police are not able to do anything at all. They cannot go to prison for it. They can be closed down at an absolute last resort, but usually are just issued with fines.

That particular shop has already faced prosecution for selling 6 week old puppies before. I personally know about that one, but from my understanding there had been others before it and I guess they just never learn and why bother, all they get are fines, and they make billions of dollars from them, it makes no difference. But it is my understanding that the fines increase with each new offence.

I reported it today to the relevant authorities first thing this morning. One of them were going to conduct an inspection today. Fingers crossed but that particular authority said they knew of the shop and would call me back on Monday.

On the down side I was told that they would need to reread the Pet Shop Guidelines about required space, on the upside I was told that puppies being sold from pet shops have dropped considerably...

Anyway I am hoping that if there are lots of people who do the same, then they may just give up.... one can only dream..

While in my opinion the sooner these places go out of business the better, there are minimum standards at present and if the amounts of the puppies are correct they are being held illegally. They are not allowed to have more than 4 per cage. And that depends on the weight of the animals. More than likely the larger breeds are already over 3 kg and so they can only have 2 per cage. Not nearly good enough, but a start. They can in some instances have more, but the size of the cages must be much bigger for each additional animal. Given that we know that Pets Paradise always have the smallest cage sizes possible, so they can have more animals shoved into them, we know that they are not going to be allowed to go over the minimum. In order to house the different breeds together they would need to prove that they came from the same source. Since 99% of them are dumped by backyard breeders then that is incredibly unlikely.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/pets/about-pets/legislation-and-regulation/domestic-animal-businesses/operation-of-pet-shops

I would report it to:

The local council animal control

The RSPCA

The Department of Primary Industries

I would not rely on someone else saying they reported it, I would be doing it myself to each of them and encouraging every single person who has personally seen them and has a problem to do the same. It will at least make the conditions the poor pups are living in, slightly more tolerable. They are not committing a crime per say, it is a civil offence and for that reason the police are not able to do anything at all. They cannot go to prison for it. They can be closed down at an absolute last resort, but usually are just issued with fines.

That particular shop has already faced prosecution for selling 6 week old puppies before. I personally know about that one, but from my understanding there had been others before it and I guess they just never learn and why bother, all they get are fines, and they make billions of dollars from them, it makes no difference. But it is my understanding that the fines increase with each new offence.

*** the more people that keep watch, take photos when things are not as they should be and report it, the more impact we can have ***

Tazar, I beleive I walked past that shop @ HP today.

Its also next to the new reject shop and has some new name.

Full of people & kids taping on the glass windows.

I too feel sorry for the dogs there. And isn't it illegal to have pets new food areas? I'm sure you may have to walk past a

small cafe to get to the exit from the pet shop. Otherwise how else do they get the pets out??

I saw that Pets hop a couple of months ago and convienantly the reject shop had some pet products for sale near the entrance.

BB