Dingo Pups For Sale

mixeduppup

Seems I am going to be boarding a Dingo shortly. I am interested to she what she is like to handle

I would be interested in your impresions. :)

I have seen them and crosses before but never had to deal with them closely and on a daily basis.

I am making sure one exercise yard is escape proof and unable to be climbed out of as I hear they are as nimble as a cat and I won't risk her climbing out. All the runs are escape proof but the yards are not fully enlosed(as in over the top) - yet!Theya re 1.8metres high adn double fenced but I am not taking any risks.

Will let you know how I find her :)

When I was a young child a local lady had a Fox she kept as a pet. He has his own run and a very securely fenced yard and was only taken out on a leash, not that he seemed to mind, he loved pats and was a very curious creature. I don't remember him smelling? but I was only around 5

I would be seriously putting a roof on the pen or yard. Jodi my cattle girl would leave any time she decided the pups needed a fresh chicken and she wasnt a dingo. she was a rokeglen red cattledog, she was a very agile lump.

benni our sons cattledog too could not be contained unless it had a roof.

not worth the drama after the event, I assure you

The dog runs do have a fence over the inside and outside. The exercise yard does not - yet. We are putting netting around the top on a 30 degree angle and a metre wide. This will stop her climbing out and from everything I have read, stop her jumping out. I have explained that to her owner and she is more than happy with that. If not I will toilet and exercise her on a longline. Trust me I DO NOT EVER want to lose someone's dog. It is something I will avoid at all costs.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Foxes are fun! a bit different being vulpes vulpes not canis lupus, but great to work with. If only they didn't smell up their area so darn much.. (usually why those that decide it would be cool to keep one as a pet give them up as it truly is horrible!)

An elderly lady (now passed) who was a friend of the family used to tell me very fond stories of her pet fox. I have no idea how she managed to keep it in suburban Sydney but I have a feeling it was long before any tough pest-keeping laws came in. She never told me about the smell but they had a very special bond. She was so distraught when he died that she had him stuffed and put in her living room to continue to survey his domain. :)

Dont think I though you wern't taking all care.

I just thought to warn you how incredibly determined I discovered the two cattledogs I mentioned were.

the runs I had them in were the height you said and over the decades Ive had Cattledogs only that pair got out, In Jodies case she then proceeded to get back along with the chicken :confused:

Couldnt believe it except the gate was still firmly shut and the feathers still there to prove she had gone visiting without leave.

I had others that wouldnt even think about leaving over a one metre fence.

Edited by asal

Seems I am going to be boarding a Dingo shortly. I am interested to she what she is like to handle

I would be interested in your impresions. :)

I have seen them and crosses before but never had to deal with them closely and on a daily basis.

I am making sure one exercise yard is escape proof and unable to be climbed out of as I hear they are as nimble as a cat and I won't risk her climbing out. All the runs are escape proof but the yards are not fully enlosed(as in over the top) - yet!Theya re 1.8metres high adn double fenced but I am not taking any risks.

Will let you know how I find her :)

When I was a young child a local lady had a Fox she kept as a pet. He has his own run and a very securely fenced yard and was only taken out on a leash, not that he seemed to mind, he loved pats and was a very curious creature. I don't remember him smelling? but I was only around 5

I have only dealt with 2 dingo crosses. Never "pure".To handle,both were far more like dogs.The Gsd was 1/4 dingo (not 1st cross as said earlier,my memory slipped )the other was likely even less but no way to know.There were little differences tho' that might go un-noticed if you didn't know of the breeding.The GSD was a real handfull,but I loved her inteligence! She was very focused on people and reading them,loved to be interacting on some level but pleasing them wasn't always her aim :laugh:

The other was a much quieter dog but both would notice and react to things differently.More curious?

I remember hearing barking outside near the door and went to investigate.The dog was staring at the ground and telling something off.When I looked closer,It was an ant! :laugh:

Edited by moosmum

I have been lucky enough to work with a range of canids in captive populations including wolves, fox and coyote in the US and dingo here in Australia.

All very interesting and very different.

The Dingo I worked with were quite standoffish for the most part, could take you or leave you and were easily distracted. VERY high prey drive and care needed to be taken when walking them around the facility as they tended to fixate. Small children crying they were VERY interested in. I found them generally easy to work with though. Note these were not animals raised in a domestic situation but were habituated to handling by their carers.

Wolves are a whole different kettle of fish and even when hand raised in isolation from the pack and with 24 hour human care and contact from around 3 days of age they are never domesticated. A reasonable degree of training can be done (a good friend of mine has been responsible for the traning of 'ambassador wolves') but they are really only habituated and not pets in any way shape or form. Note that the behaviours exhibited by both dogs and wolves are the same. It is only the frequency and intensity of certain behaviours that varies. The agonistic behaviours in wolves for example are much more intense as is their prey drive which is through the roof. A handler/keeper can not even go in an enclosure with them if sporting a minor injury which causes them pain (eg wincing) as it is a weakness they can pick up on and can lead to a challenge (which means a keeper gets injured). Feeding is NEVER done alone (there is one case I know of where habituated wolves killed their keeper at feeding time - unfortunately there was no one around to help him when he was challenged and he paid the consequences). Respecting their power, they are however great to work with and respond well to management and training using positive rewards/clicker. Watching them stalk a child through a (double) fence though is rather spine chilling and fascinating at the same time.

I have only worked with one coyote, but found him in many ways similar to a dingo to handle. Not as intense as a wolf.

Foxes are fun! a bit different being vulpes vulpes not canis lupus, but great to work with. If only they didn't smell up their area so darn much.. (usually why those that decide it would be cool to keep one as a pet give them up as it truly is horrible!)

What a great experience that would have been!I'd have loved to do that when I was younger.I used to feed a small group of Timber wolves kept in a tiny enclosure at the local park when I was a kid,but the were poor excuses of wolves,stunted and 1/2 starved,kept in terrible conditions.

Re the wolves intensity and prey drive,after working with dogs that had a similar intensity and prey drive, It bothers me seeing high prey drives sought and bred for training purposes.Expressed like that,its a huge backward step that goes against whats been accomplished over thousands of years and requires all your attention,at all times.

Sure gives you an insight into pack structure and dynamics tho'!

Edited by moosmum

Believe me no high drive dog comes close to a wolf. But I don't feel breeding for intensity and drive is a 'backwards step' as it is really only in recent years that dogs have been 'softened' for the general pet buying urban environment.. There are many dogs in many places that still retain that intensity which is IMO more the norm.

Edited by espinay2

Believe me no high drive dog comes close to a wolf. But I don't feel breeding for intensity and drive is a 'backwards step' as it is really only in recent years that dogs have been 'softened' for the general pet buying urban environment.. There are many dogs in many places that still retain that intensity which is IMO more the norm.

I believe you re; no high drive dog being close to a wolf.You are prob. right too as to dogs getting easier in recent years for the environment over all.

I have no problem with modified prey drives and know there ares many uses.I meant similar in mode of expression.A dog who has to be constantly watched for prey drift when your other dogs show fear or uncertainty,or get a small wound was more work than help for me. :o

If others find that usefull :shrug: fair enough.But I think some could get more than they bargain for breeding for high prey drives with out keeping modifications in mind too.

Edited by moosmum