Leaning?

mixeduppup

My Maremma has always done this, he leans on everyone he likes, his whole body he just uses people to prop him up, he thinks it's funny when people almost lose their balance because of his weight and kinda grins. He's a leaner as we call him and I think he does it to get sole attention and affection. We always stop him as we don't want him to knock anyone over, but just wondering is your dog a leaner as well or is it primarily a LGD thing?

My Weimaraner does it, too. To the extent where she will scoot after you if you move away. And in the car she will look for some part of you to rest her head on (I have a single cab ute so she sits on the passenger seat, strapped in with her car harness of course). And in bed she likes to spoon or be spooned but she will at least touch some part of you at any given time...

my family have had several boxers over the years, and all the males have been huge leaners. I believe it's common in guarding breeds. The current boxer is a rather anxious dog, so he sometimes leans and tries to get his bloody great heavy feet up on your leg as well. On the other hand, my Lappie is more of a nudger.

It can be considered bad manners if the dog is being pushy or knocking people over - I think of it as a little like a nagging child who won't stop demanding attention or fails to understand that some people don't like a child climbing on them, even in affection. However, I had a trainer tell me that leaning is solely a sign of dominance and to never allow it even if it seemed to be only affectionate. I wouldn't consider a polite child requesting attention or giving a physical display of affection to be inappropriate, and in the same way a dog I know well leaning on me to say hello doesn't seem to me to be inappropriate so long as he or she knows some manners. I'd be more worried if the dog was showing signs of guarding me, but that's never been the case. I'd be interested to see the opinions of trainers here though, especially as there are some here who I would respect rather more than that particular trainer!

Nearly every greyhound I've fostered has done it. Both of my own hounds do it and our grey pup is already starting to do it, too (which is not great because he's going to be a huge boy when he's older and visitors are already a favourite target)

my family have had several boxers over the years, and all the males have been huge leaners. I believe it's common in guarding breeds. The current boxer is a rather anxious dog, so he sometimes leans and tries to get his bloody great heavy feet up on your leg as well. On the other hand, my Lappie is more of a nudger.

Yep my Boxer boy does it too when someone pats him, almost as if he likes the patting soooo much he just can't stand on his own four feet! :laugh:

It can be considered bad manners if the dog is being pushy or knocking people over - I think of it as a little like a nagging child who won't stop demanding attention or fails to understand that some people don't like a child climbing on them, even in affection. However, I had a trainer tell me that leaning is solely a sign of dominance and to never allow it even if it seemed to be only affectionate. I wouldn't consider a polite child requesting attention or giving a physical display of affection to be inappropriate, and in the same way a dog I know well leaning on me to say hello doesn't seem to me to be inappropriate so long as he or she knows some manners. I'd be more worried if the dog was showing signs of guarding me, but that's never been the case. I'd be interested to see the opinions of trainers here though, especially as there are some here who I would respect rather more than that particular trainer!

That's interesting LappieHappy. My boxer is a leaner, mostly on me, sometimes my husband, not normally on the kids (perhaps because they don't stand still long enough!). He normally does it when I'm standing but pre-occupied eg. doing dishes. It doesn't bother us. I quite like it as, in a busy household, I feel like I'm juggling spending time with everyone, including my dog.

I just figured he likes being near us. I have heard that it's a dominance/ guarding thing but I'm not sure about that. In the absence of other signs of behavioural problems I haven't seen it as an issue.

I too would be interested in the views of experienced trainers. :)

Yep, a very common Pyrenean trait and from what I understand many LGD type dogs do it.

My Pyrs are certainly leaners.

Not really a dominance thing in their case IMO. They lean during cuddles mostly.

Though it can be accompanied by 'blocking' behavior at times and in this type of situation they are trying to 'control' their flock - part of guardian behaviour though and should be understood in that context rather than as any type of 'attempt to dominate' in the context of rank climbing.

Most greyhounds do it. They do it when relaxed so I don't think it's dominance. If they are in a challenging mood they are more likely to hook their head over the target, or do something with their face, they posture. Where as the body lean is just a bit lazy and doesn't normally include posturing to send a message. I think they just like the closeness. They would prefer to be lying down, but they are enjoying the attention so they stay standing up.

I too have heard that leaning on people can be a sign of dominance, rather like sitting on a person's feet. Kirah used to try and sit on my feet all the time but this behaviour has now stopped.

In regards to leaning, both Zeus and Kirah love to lean up against the sides of my house. They cock their legs to the side and sit on their bums leaning against the bricks (like riding side saddle). Zeus loves the bricks on cooler days as he'll find a spot in the sun so the bricks are warm.

I also have a suspicion that it could be a learned behaviour. Poochie was a leaner, which I believe Zeus learned through watching her, who has in turn passed this on to Kirah. I like to believe this as I feel that whenever I see them both leaning that there's a part of my beloved Poochie still around! :)

My dogs do it when they want attention ... they sit beside you and lean in while rubbing themselves against your leg. I notice it more when they are in big trouble and have had time out ... then as soon as they are released they run up and try to get attention so they know they are forgiven.

Yep, a very common Pyrenean trait and from what I understand many LGD type dogs do it.

My Pyrs are certainly leaners.

Not really a dominance thing in their case IMO. They lean during cuddles mostly.

Though it can be accompanied by 'blocking' behavior at times and in this type of situation they are trying to 'control' their flock - part of guardian behaviour though and should be understood in that context rather than as any type of 'attempt to dominate' in the context of rank climbing.

This is the same with my Anatolian x. He does it during cuddles. He leans and sits on your feet and then looks back at you with this big sad face....saying Pet me!

My girl does it when being petted. She enjoys it so much and I just thought she did it cause she was enjoying the pats and is happy, she leans so much that her front leg gets raised and if I move away she'd probably fall over!

Mine does fall over sometimes, he'll start leaning back for belly rubs and just fall....big idiot :laugh: