Best Pet Store/warehouse In Sydney?

Niki8

Hi guys,

Our baby boy (a labrador retriever pup) was born 2 weeks ago, so we have 6 weeks to get everything ready…awww :D

Some of you may remember, a couple of months ago I asked a question about what doggie book you would definitely recommend to have in your library…now, our dog library consists of 16 titles with some still on their way :laugh: …thank you lots for all your suggestions :) Both my partner and I very much enjoy reading those books and imagining the tiny ball of fur with us already.

Anyway, my question today is what is the best place to go shopping in Sydney for our pup? I have in mind some bigger pet store/warehouse where you can find all sorts of things. We live in Eastwood but we don’t really mind to travel :) We are thinking of possibly going tomorrow to buy a few first items and mainly to look around and see what we will need (we have a list of things we want to buy but I guess in the shop we may find a few other bits which would be handy).

Thank you heaps! :)

I would suggest a trip out to the vendors at the dog shows ( Petcetera, Showequipment) held out at Erskine Park. They usually have a great range of things ( beds, brushes, toys, leads, bowls, shampoos, crates, puppy pens) and are a lot more reasonably priced than petbarn and other outlets. They will also be able to offer you great advice on the types of brushes that you will need for your breed. Not sure if they will all be open out there this weekend as it is only specialty shows this weekend. The next shows out there are 28th October.

TB.

Petbiz in Belrose, Balgowlah<Mona Vale< Narrabeen or Mount Colah. Great range Good pricing Excellent advice.

Petcare 2000 Castle Hill homemaker Centre (bottom Floor Carpark) Same as above and excellent pricing,

PetO at Mona Vale and Brookvale

Petcetera Etc at Vineyard Vets and Erskine park

And for quirky and quality Pet Depot in Leichhardt.

Hope this helps

What kind of things are you looking for specificially?

For a book I recommend "Dog Owners Manual" by Dr Karen Hedberg Dog Owners Manual

A lot of of breed books I would not bother with. They are lovely picutre books that don't really provide a lot of good information other than some of the really basic stuff.

Cruise around Ebay and have a look at some of the second hand books. Some really good material comes up from time to time on behaviour, training and tricks etc.

I second Tasha's suggetion of visiting Erskine Park one weekend while there is a dog show on. Some of those venders are very very competitive for prices on grooming gear, especially brushes and the like and they are generally better quality than what you buy in a pet store.

If you are looking for a crate, look in the DOL Classifieds, weekend papers, gumtree etc. You can generally pick up a good second hand steel crate for much less than what the pet stores will want to rip you off for new. Don't bother with a soft crate in the first instance as the puppy will destroy it by digging and chewing. Once they are crate trained, then look at a soft crate.

For your veterinary items, there are a number of good online vet stores now, where you can pick up your flea, tick, worming meds for a fraction of the price as if you went into a pet store/vet. The Sydney People will help with local ones, but others from up here in Brisbane are Vet Products Direct, Priceless Pets, Vet n Pet, and The Vet Shed.

I buy all my flea/heartworm online, way cheaper, i use Budget pets, arrives the next day too.

I use Petstock for dogfood, and the petshop at Seven hills for raw mince etc.

If i want big things, Parklea markets, the petshop there ( the only one that doesn't sell pups), has a huge range of beds, crates ,kennels all top quality, and cheap stuff for pups to destroy, and much cheaper than anywhere else. :)

Petbiz in Belrose, Balgowlah<Mona Vale< Narrabeen or Mount Colah. Great range Good pricing Excellent advice.

Petcare 2000 Castle Hill homemaker Centre (bottom Floor Carpark) Same as above and excellent pricing,

PetO at Mona Vale and Brookvale

I second these guys, they're awesome :)

Thank you so much guys for your suggestions :) and huge thanks to Mystiqview for your extensive advice :) :) and also TashaBailey for the Erskine Park (we'll go to check it out at one of the upcoming weekends :)

We ended up going to Petcare 2000 in Castle Hill today, just to check out what they had there (in terms of food and water bowls, collars, leashes and some toys) and then to Parklea markets. Juice, they actually had pups for sale in Parklea markets! :(...it looks it has changed since the last time you were there...we ran away from there, didn't want to buy anything from a place where they sell pups... :(

Then we found there was a Petbarn near the Petcare in Castle Hill as well, so went back and bought a couple of items in there and some in Petcare :-)

I checked the Vebopet and Oz Grooming World for crates, thanks for that guys, the crates are so much cheaper there compared to the pet stores. If I don't find any second hand one, will most likely go for some from the Oz Grooming World...thanks Dancinbcs :)

There are lots of petstores at the market, all alongside each other, the others all sell pets, the one i use doesn't.

Its hard to work it out as they seem to run into each other, but its the one on the outside wall on the corner, the one directly opposite has cages of pups :(

Do they still have the Newfie at PetCare 2000? I loveses that dog! :love:

Yes NED is still in store although he now seems to work just Part time. He is a stunning representative of the Newfoundland breed. He has a massive fan base too it seems. I too loves that dog.

I buy all my flea/heartworm online, way cheaper, i use Budget pets, arrives the next day too.

With 5 dogs and one cat, my flea/tick treatments are pretty expensive too and I buy them online from Priceless Pets. I must compare them with Budgets Pets.

Yes NED is still in store although he now seems to work just Part time. He is a stunning representative of the Newfoundland breed. He has a massive fan base too it seems. I too loves that dog.

Ned must be getting a bit long in the tooth now :). I have been into this shop many times over the years and do find them expensive.

For raw food and dried food like liver and kangaroo jerky I use Aussie Pet Foods. They used to have an outlet at Haberfield, but now operate out of their factory at 10 Shirlow Street Marrickville or online at http://healthypetsmeatsandtreats.com.au

There are lots of petstores at the market, all alongside each other, the others all sell pets, the one i use doesn't.

Its hard to work it out as they seem to run into each other, but its the one on the outside wall on the corner, the one directly opposite has cages of pups :(

Ohhh...yeah, that's right...sorry Juice, I didn't look around much, I thought they were all together :( :( Next time, I have to have a proper look... :)

Thanks Danny's Darling and PuddleDuck for your comments...very useful :)