Crating N Kennelling Dogs

eyeopener

Ok I use crates, dog runs etc but they are not the place any of my dogs(bar 1) spend much time & I am often seeing people saying their dogs are crated all day while they are at work etc. For me crates are for transporting, containing dogs for short periods of time if needed, sick or injuries animals & for beds(we leave door open though). Not a living arrangement & somewhere to leave any dog for more than a couple of hrs & believe those that need to contain dogs while they work etc should invest in a well constructed dog run.

I also see many dogs who are confined to a kennel n run all week & then take out of the weekend or maybe once midweek & I feel if this is all the time you have for a dog don't have 1, my dogs come n go in n out of the house n some have full access to the entire farm & I know they would be miserable spending all the down time n contained times some other dogs have to do in a day or wk.

Am I way off base here?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your debate is very simplistic. You haven't taken into account owners who have dogs who do not get on together, owners who have neighbours who will tease/abuse or complain about dogs left in runs outside, and dogs that are destructive.

Whether the dog is crated, locked inside a house, locked in an outdoor run or free in a fenced backyard, the dogs movements and ability to do doggy things is still restricted in some way.

Lucky you having a farm for your dog to exercise on. If urban dwellers are lucky, there might be a safe park within a few k's to take their dog too.

Full access to the entire farm..... sounds like a recipe for lots of dead livestock, dead wildlife and snake-bitten dogs to me.

How wonderful that all your dogs in the past, present and future will get on with each other, not even think of harrassing other animals and not wander on to the road and cause a fatal accident - unless you are saying your entire farm is bordered by dog-proof fencing?

Edited by Sandra777

Fact is dogs do not "self exercise". Unless they are neurotically running along a fence barking at something or someone!

Whether a dog is asleep on his bed on in a crate for a period of time is irrelevant provided they receive adequate daily exercise and toileting time.

My dogs spend a great deal of time in a conglomerate lump on either my bed or the couch..it would make very little difference if they were in a crate. They sleep a hell of a lot....but when we go out to play...BOY! do they play! :)

In my opinion crating is a useful tool in dog husbandry and management. Unfortunately, like most things has the potential to be abused if overused.

My dogs get blocks of time during the summer months where they have free run of our acreage. HOWEVER, for the most part they are safely locked in their individual pens in a cool room attached to the back of the house. Why? Because last year I lost a dog to a snake bite in Summer because I used to let my dogs have free reign all day every day and now I have a dead dog.

My dogs LOVE going into their beds, given a treat and sleeping for the hours they are locked up and I have the peace of mind knowing they are safe!

They are also locked up whenever I go out now, (which isn't very often) and that's also for my peace of mind. I know when I get home that everyone will be exactly where I left them.

I also live on farm land but my dogs are contained in back yard size runs or in the kennel block and I do also use crates sometimes, yes, even though they have freedom to run and play all day it is surprising how many hours they sleep.

Living on a farm does NOT mean that they have more freedom than other peoples dogs, it doesn't, all walks have to be on leash because the of the possibility of meeting up with wildlife, wombats, kangaroos, deer, not to mention snakes, goannas and other lizards all of which would be fair game for a chase if free.

We don't have any stock but neighbors, all of who I would like to remain friendly with, do have cattle, sheep, alpacas and horses.

Dogs that have complete freedom on farms are a disaster waiting to happen I believe.

Sorry went a little of topic, I have no problems with using crates one of mine has suddenly decided that is where she wants to sleep every night even though she is closed in.

Also of interest...many true working farms keep their dogs chained up when not being used. Both for their own safety, to avoid unwanted matings and to avoid any possible disputes between dogs.

Crates, runs, chains, pens, etc... all have their uses. Use them properly, and you don't have any issues.

Those who think any of the above are "cruel" obviously haven't had to use them for the safety and wellbeing of their animals. Lucky them...

T.

Your debate is very simplistic. You haven't taken into account owners who have dogs who do not get on together, owners who have neighbours who will tease/abuse or complain about dogs left in runs outside, and dogs that are destructive.

Whether the dog is crated, locked inside a house, locked in an outdoor run or free in a fenced backyard, the dogs movements and ability to do doggy things is still restricted in some way.

Lucky you having a farm for your dog to exercise on. If urban dwellers are lucky, there might be a safe park within a few k's to take their dog too.

I have dogs that don't go together but we just share time n 1 will b inside while other is outside or 1 in the run n 1 in the yard etc. I also own multiply dogs but then again my animals are my life & I never leave home for more than an hr generally. Lock own to go big food shopping every few weeks & any trips that take longer than that 1 of us stays home or we employ a pet n livestock sitter.

Full access to the entire farm..... sounds like a recipe for lots of dead livestock, dead wildlife and snake-bitten dogs to me.

How wonderful that all your dogs in the past, present and future will get on with each other, not even think of harrassing other animals and not wander on to the road and cause a fatal accident - unless you are saying your entire farm is bordered by dog-proof fencing?

I would not give full access to a dog that would touch livestock as here they don't get second chances & that's why jot ALL dogs have full access. As for snake bites just as likely in a run or backyard I'm afraid.

Not all my dogs get along but you manage that not lock them down,

Wow talk about touchy subject.

My goodness sorry I spoke your a real friendly bunch hay it was just a question. My dogs are all but 1 locked up of a night, they are locked up when not supervised but my daily jobs are around the property n I switch n change dogs as needed n depending on what I am doing at the time but they all get plenty of free time. When they aren't out with me they have backyards, runs n houses to follow us about in.

I use crates, chains, runs etc just was asking if other thought they may be getting over used. But don't worry I now know why I was warned not to post here

My goodness sorry I spoke your a real friendly bunch hay it was just a question. My dogs are all but 1 locked up of a night, they are locked up when not supervised but my daily jobs are around the property n I switch n change dogs as needed n depending on what I am doing at the time but they all get plenty of free time. When they aren't out with me they have backyards, runs n houses to follow us about in.

I use crates, chains, runs etc just was asking if other thought they may be getting over used. But don't worry I now know why I was warned not to post here

Well, no- it wasn't just a question.

Here's an example of a question.. "Why do some people crate/confine their dogs for extended periods of time?" and here's a bit of what you wrote.. "If this is all the time you have for a dog, don't have one" (admittedly edited so that I can read it without cringing).

There may have been a question in there (except really, there wasn't- it was using the question as a vehicle for judging others) but the presence of a question does not excuse passing judgements and making assumptions about the way other people care for their animals.

Umm the rest of that sentence was if a dog is left in a dog run all week n only taken out on weekend or maybe mid week they don't have time for a dog. I find it hard to believe you all think that's ok n that its harsh for me to think that.

Why are you getting upset and bagging out the forum? You made some statements, asked for opinions and now you don't like the responses. If you don't want other people's input, don't invite it, end of story.

No worries just surprise with the manner of the answers n truly did not realise this was common practise to lock dogs in runs or crates all day everyday. No worries, I'm not upset as nothing to be upset about just surprised n dismayed I guess

Ok I use crates, dog runs etc but they are not the place any of my dogs(bar 1) spend much time & I am often seeing people saying their dogs are crated all day while they are at work etc. For me crates are for transporting, containing dogs for short periods of time if needed, sick or injuries animals & for beds(we leave door open though). Not a living arrangement & somewhere to leave any dog for more than a couple of hrs & believe those that need to contain dogs while they work etc should invest in a well constructed dog run.

I also see many dogs who are confined to a kennel n run all week & then take out of the weekend or maybe once midweek & I feel if this is all the time you have for a dog don't have 1, my dogs come n go in n out of the house n some have full access to the entire farm & I know they would be miserable spending all the down time n contained times some other dogs have to do in a day or wk.

Am I way off base here?

I think you are a bit of base, we all do what works for us. I'm a stay at home mum so my current dog is out doing as she pleases. However pre kids I worked fulltime as did/does my husband. back then we had a rotti girl and a bloodhound boy. The boy was crate trained from word dot. he was happiest there so that's where he'd be "by choice" my husband made his crate it was h.u.g.e but had no top if at any point he wanted out he could easily jump out. he never did. My girl was happiest as a couch potato so she had a spare room of her own with a couch and some toys. based on the nanny cam those 2 didn't do much other than sleep the entire day. It wasn't cruel they were well loved and both of whom lived way past the average life of those breeds.

I'm sorry your feeling ruffled by the responses made, like dogs not all of us get along all the time :) but give the girls and guys here a chance there is a wealth of knowledge and you'll find your mates if you give them a chance.

oops forgot to add in, where you live plays a huge part on how you keep your dogs, suburbia, without sounding melodramatic, is dangerous. Your dogs risk getting pinched by jerks who want them for fighting/breeding/selling or baited / run over / picked up by council because they annoyed a neighbour once too many times. sadly it's not a black and white issue.

Why are you getting upset and bagging out the forum? You made some statements, asked for opinions and now you don't like the responses. If you don't want other people's input, don't invite it, end of story.

No worries just surprise with the manner of the answers n truly did not realise this was common practise to lock dogs in runs or crates all day everyday. No worries, I'm not upset as nothing to be upset about just surprised n dismayed I guess

Eyeopener you are indeed very lucky to be able to live and work at your place of residence. Some people have to leave there dogs for extended periods of time and either have to lock them in the house or in a yard. I'm lucky I work nights and have a family, so my dogs are never home alone for any extended peiod of time.

In some city areas there are those that have stolen dogs for various purposes from dog fight/baiting to breeding.

We try to keep our animals safe and happy and give them as much quality time as our lifestyle allows.

Some might indeed ask "Why have a dog if you don't have time for them"...short answer is..I (and most dog owners I know) give my dogs as much quality time as I can, when I can, and when I can't they will happily wait until I do. Each time...they understand and forgive. Why? Because that is what dogs do.

I understand that in a farming situation you can't afford to have a dog that attacks stock and you have predetermined the choice to not give any dog a second chance, should they decide to injure stock. That is your choice..but not everyone is as stoic as that and would prefer prevention to the ultimate price and cure for livestock attack.

I understand where you are coming from. It can seem that dogs are confined & crated far more than they used to be years ago. People with one pet dog never owned a crate.

I also thought it was awful & couldn't understand when I had various desexed pet dogs, usually between 2 & 5 dogs, that did get along then I started breeding & it's so different.

As much as I dislike them they do have to be used. Mums with tiny pups need a safe space, among the goings on of the house after a couple of weeks too, so pens etc are vital.

Male dogs need to be kept from females & this may involve a crate overnight or if you have to go out.

Certainly to crate or pen a dog in a small space for many hours is not what I would do or approve of but many do it & don't think there is anything wrong with it. This is where I have concerns. Birds confined to tiny cages all their lives break my heart but people say they don't know any different. Opinions vary so much. You can only do what you feel is right & if you let puppies go only send them to where you would approve of the way they live & be treated.