Just Doing His Job

Kirislin

I've been aware of this dog for several years now. I pass by and sometimes see him laying in the paddock. As far as I know he has no shelter, he really does live with the sheep. One day I saw a man feeding him but I'm not sure how often he gets fed. I'm not saying that because I think this is a welfare issue, I dont think it is, this dog is a fair dinkum livestock guardian dog, the only one I've ever seen doing what it's bred for. I've always wanted to get a photo of him. Today was my lucky day.

I've never even stopped my car there before today. I parked about 200mts away from him, and didn't even get out of my car, but he was instantly alert, and within about 30 seconds of me stopped he started telling me to bugger off.

He's spotted me, my car was on the other side of the road from him, but he immediately took notice

8085210561_459714b7d2_c.jpg

IMG_3138dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Ok lady, you've been there long enough, move along now

8085213269_bd95d1d3f3_c.jpg

IMG_3140dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

be off with you!

8085214220_2db4c9fcaa_c.jpg

IMG_3141dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

who would dare be silly enough to go in there with him on guard, not me.

8085216256_66d99df703_c.jpg

IMG_3143dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Great pics of a dog doing his job!! We have a few down the road that have told me off too....Last year there was a guy & his dog cycling round Australia (Carrot & Coffee Dog)....anyhoo I stopped to say hi & give him a donation and within 30 seconds there were about 3 dogs down at the fence barking at us!! Up until then, I had no idea there where LG dogs on the property...Now when we drive by I always try and spot them....never do though, they are masters of disguise!!

I was very impressed with how alert he was. When ever I drive past I always look for him, and when I see him sometimes he's flat out, seemingly sound asleep, but the instant I stopped my car today he was watching.

yep thats how they work .Mine pick you up as soon as you slow down out the front of the house about half a kilometre from where we are and let me know to watch out .That dog has heaps of shelter - there are trees there .I give mine kennels and build lean to's for them but they never use them they go where the sheep go - from minus 6 in winter up to 45 in summer ,They dig a hole for a windbreak and even as pups given the choice they prefer the middle of a paddock to a nice warm kennel.

My sister has 2 maremma that stay at all times with the goats and 2 maremma that have ended up becoming yard dogs (protecting her and the house). I must admit I didn't ask about feeding arrangements for the ones that stay with the goats but there are other koolie mixes stationed around the property and I know they get fed so I'm assume it is all done on the same run.

One of the maremma that is now a yard dog used to be with sheep but had a habit of collecting stillborn lambs and looking after them and mothering them for a few days before deciding it was a lost cause, and then eating them! She now does excellent guard duty of the chook pen though if it isn't closed before dusk!

Awww what a good boy, Is he a Maremma, he looks yellow on my mac. He just looks like he blends in in the first photo.

The guy in our town who breeds them for looking after the penguins was at the last Bunnings volunteer day we went to with two of his, they are amazing and they were very calm and well mannered. I had my girls with me (for Delta) and Tully wasn't impressed with these big white mammoths. :laugh:

Its nice to see them doing what they are bred to do!

I was very impressed with how alert he was. When ever I drive past I always look for him, and when I see him sometimes he's flat out, seemingly sound asleep, but the instant I stopped my car today he was watching.

yep thats how they work .Mine pick you up as soon as you slow down out the front of the house about half a kilometre from where we are and let me know to watch out .That dog has heaps of shelter - there are trees there .I give mine kennels and build lean to's for them but they never use them they go where the sheep go - from minus 6 in winter up to 45 in summer ,They dig a hole for a windbreak and even as pups given the choice they prefer the middle of a paddock to a nice warm kennel.

Those trees are in another paddock, I dont think the dog or sheep have any shelter in the paddock but they all seem to cope. I suppose if it's good enough for the sheep, it's good enough for the dog.

Thanks guys, I didn't think the photos were particularly good, as photos go, but I thought they are interesting especially for anyone who's never seen these dogs working before. Glad you like them.

Dxenion it hadn't occurred to me to try to find out who owns him. I might look into it.

Our lakies breeder has a mareema who lives with the sheep on her property it's fasinating to see real working dogs do their job. If I remember rightly when we went to pick up amber she also had a young pup in with the poultry. She was hoping the pup would eventually teach and give the older dog confidence when being handled as it wasn't too keen on routine jobs such as fleaing and nails