Chew Stops

Hi,

does anyone have any good ideas or home remedies on stuff to stop dogs chewing?

I have basically used a whole bottle of pet shop bought chew stop and the dogs still chew stuff....and i know its on there as even tho i sprayed it weeks ago i pulled a bit of plastic off last night and forgot/assumed the spray must be gone as the dogs still chew it but NOPE i must have touched my mouth and YUUUUUUK i dont know how the dogs still chew it its horrible tasting !!!

So any ideas on what really works well ??

thanks

It depends on what scents your dog doesn't like.

I never found anything that worked with mine - the usual things like citrus or vinegar which are meant to be "no chew" scents, my guys love :laugh:

The best "no chew" method is training.,

Edited by minimax

If you don't want them to chew, then build runs and don't put anything destructable in them, supervise when in the house or other areas where there are items they are likely to investigate and chew.

Give them lots of their own toys, empty milk bottles, cardboard boxes, bones etc.

Chewing is a self rewarding behaviour for dogs and it relieves boredom and investigating with your mouth is fun.

provide something MUCH better than what they chew :)

if they are chewing because of noise...or scent..or texture ..then find things which are similar?

I have never had problem chewers , so can't really help. The only time I have had anything chewed, was when I left stuff where it was easily accessible .

Vicks Vapourub is a pretty good deterrent to most dogs.

Also make sure he is never left unsupervised with free run of the house and remember to provide lots of stuff he can chew. Most importantly always reprimand when he goes to chew something and shouldn't and always praise when he chews something he should. I keep a toy basket and the puppy gets praised every time he selects something from there. What is left of the basket, survived several Border Collies but the Jap Spitz ate basket as well as the toys. The Vapourub did stop him eating the house though.

I went through my cupboards and made a concoction with anything hot and painted this on and around anything that I didn't want chewing. Check it doesn't stain it first.

Thanks for your help, i might go get some spicy stuff to paint on

my dog loved to lick my other puppy's ears. I was trying to "set" them at the time. Someone suggested adding some pepper to the mix - she licked that off, so I switched to paprika, then cayenne pepper - nothing worked. (I wouldn't risk anything else hotter for sake of the other puppy's eyes.

Vicks Vapourub is a pretty good deterrent to most dogs.

Also make sure he is never left unsupervised with free run of the house and remember to provide lots of stuff he can chew. Most importantly always reprimand when he goes to chew something and shouldn't and always praise when he chews something he should. I keep a toy basket and the puppy gets praised every time he selects something from there. What is left of the basket, survived several Border Collies but the Jap Spitz ate basket as well as the toys. The Vapourub did stop him eating the house though.

I wish! I too tried most things to stop the puppy from trying to chew the plasterboard on the walls. NOTHING works. Her response to the vicks vapourub was to lick it off my fingers after i put some on the wall, then come back for seconds!!

I ended up having to put a wire panel from the puppy pen in front of the wall to stop her.

We used Tabasco sauce successfully.

Our pups were chewing the corners of wooden furniture, just shook a bit on the areas they had started to nibble. As the wood was darkish, the tabasco didn't show, but test it first in an inconspicuous area to make sure it doesn't stain.

Best thing I have found is "Crib Stop" spray. Just dont breathe in as you are applying it! We went travelling across the country for 6 weeks and the younger dogs started chewing the inside of the dog trailer. Without the spray I don't think it would have been in one piece by the time we got home! It is important that you provide the pup with lots of other different things that he is allowed to chew tho. :)

Thanks for all your ideas....i will give some a try :)

they only seem to chew and dig at night id prefer not to have to lock them up as i like them to free roam incase they hear a noise they can let us know.....but if they do keep it up they will have to be locked up at night (just in the shed so theyll have free roam in there) but they seem ok during the day and are always supervised in the house anyways.

As for keeping toys on hand they have heaps and dont care for them, if im out there ill stir them ujp with toys for tug o war or chasing....no interest ...will be trying milk bottles tho we have one thatll be empty by 2mora :)

Thanks Again

Vicks really worked with our Jack Russell, just apply to furniture etc that you don't want wrecked, and supply plenty of other interesting things they are allowed to touch. If you see him going for something he shouldn't, redirect his attention to those things he IS allowed to chew. If you don't want a shoe chewer though, don't let him play with your old shoes- hard to know the difference

Why don't you just contain the puppy to a play pen overnight so he cannot destroy things in the house and leave the others free if he is the only one chewing?

Sorry but it seems that it doesn't need to be very complicated. If you cannot control the dog, control the environment ie he chews at night he is young, contain him at night until he doesn't do it any more, I would have thought it was a pretty simple solution.

Why don't you just contain the puppy to a play pen overnight so he cannot destroy things in the house and leave the others free if he is the only one chewing? Sorry but it seems that it doesn't need to be very complicated. If you cannot control the dog, control the environment ie he chews at night he is young, contain him at night until he doesn't do it any more, I would have thought it was a pretty simple solution.

My suggestion as well...there is no way I would leave a pup with free reign overnight ! I have never used a crate..but any pups of mine have been in my room ..on a light chain , overnight - and I have never had a chewer .

Edited by persephone

the dogs dont get free run of the house at night ...that would be mad !

they are outside at night and sleep in the shed where they still have access to go outside to the toilet and warn us if there are any strange noises in the night...

id prefer to try the method of chew stops that you can buy or make, is why they are on the market, then lock them in confine them to a crate.

Hence the reason i asked the question on what people found best to use to help stop this habit.

my last resort will be to lock him only up at night to stop it until he has grown out of it