Importing Frozen Semen From An Old Dog

steppenwolfstaffords

Ask if he can have his semen assessed (frozen and thawed) for viability. If you can get the required minimum amount then awesome! Otherwise, is it possible to get semen from a recent male offspring?

I have emailed the vet in his country to see what he thinks and if they think its would be doable....i never thought to have it frozen then thawed over there but dont they do they anyway with any frozen semen to be shipped or even what you collect and store yourself ???

i will prob import semen from one of his sons in the future but thought id try him if he is viable enough given his age and his quality and what he produces himself ....do it while hes still alive :p

Ask if he can have his semen assessed (frozen and thawed) for viability. If you can get the required minimum amount then awesome! Otherwise, is it possible to get semen from a recent male offspring?

I have emailed the vet in his country to see what he thinks and if they think its would be doable....i never thought to have it frozen then thawed over there but dont they do they anyway with any frozen semen to be shipped or even what you collect and store yourself ???

Everything is doable unless it is a clear fail. And of course unless it is clear fail the vets (there and in aus) will tell you there is the chance of a probable result.

But probable result does not mean a puppy result, and imo you will just end up wasting time and money.

Of course if you want to try for a multi thousand dollar gamble, then do it.

i will prob import semen from one of his sons in the future but thought id try him if he is viable enough given his age and his quality and what he produces himself ....do it while hes still alive :p

A more likely outcome for puppy result - to do it while he's still alive - would be to take a bitch to the dog. Yes I know the dog is o/s :)

NB: The correlation between semen 'assessment' and actual semen 'fertility' is around 30%.

I have done lots of stupid (or determined, depends how you look at it) PROBABLE endeavors wrt importing dogs/semen under 'probable' outcomes.

And they have either failed years later, or

I am still hitting my head against a brick wall and throwing money into a black pit that I have no tangible outcome.

I understand about pursuing the probable, and I assure you - vets, 3rd parties, anyone else will always tell you yes it's possible.

But if you ask their advice again, and this time take 10 - 30k out of their pocket - with the return of their money dependent on the success of your proposed venture - no vet, no dog owner will encourage you to pursue the probable.

Honestly, do not waste your bitch's seasons or pin your breeding hopes on what is probable.

probable long shots cost lots of time and lots of money, and frankly I think you have to be demented to pursue them.

Edited by lilli

We are currently doing this - importing semen from an 11 year old and a 9 year old.

They have just been collected and the 11 year old had 99% motility upon collection and post thaw it was around 80%

Super swimmers for a super dog I say. He has sired a litter of 7 naturally in march. Fingers crossed all goes well.

You wont know till you have the dogs semen assessed.

We are currently doing this - importing semen from an 11 year old and a 9 year old.

They have just been collected and the 11 year old had 99% motility upon collection and post thaw it was around 80%

Super swimmers for a super dog I say. He has sired a litter of 7 naturally in march. Fingers crossed all goes well.

You will not know until you have puppies on the ground in Australia :)

Could well depend a lot on the breed? An 11 year old Toy Poodle is probably a better overall candidate than an 11 year old Irish Wolfhound :D

There isn't any chance of getting semen that has already been stored?

Live mating success vs frozen semen success really doesn't mean a lot AFAIK. Some dog's semen simply doesn't freeze well.

Edited by Sandra777

You beat me to it - my next suggestion would be could you import a bitch you has been mated to him (several times! lol)

That way if she comes over empty you still get a bitch for your troubles and if she comes over with pup(s) then you get your male and don't have to import from him &/or a son.

It's up to you how quickly you try for, but in July the quarantine rules will change so your pregnant bitch only has to stay for 10 days, not 30.

ETA: If you chose to go ahead with importing his semen (post evaluation - which yes I believe is a given in the freezing process) you would be best to ask if the dog is crossing over into Germany at any point. It could potentially reduce your costs by thousands ergo reducing the amount of money your risking.

Edited by Saffioraire

Could well depend a lot on the breed?

There isn't any chance of getting semen that has already been stored?

Live mating success vs frozen semen success really doesn't mean a lot AFAIK. Some dog's semen simply doesn't freeze well.

Yes I think so. And country of origin.

USA is the easiest to imp semen from wrt established routes, procedures, and communications.

Semen already stored cannot be imported to Australia as it will not meet AQIS semen imp pre-export requirements.

What the vet in the country of origin writes down as the semen quality, doesn't mean much because the semen then has to travel to Australia and through all the variables, through customs and couriers and then to your vet.

So you can have semen assessed at 80% but it doesn't mean it will be 80% when post thawed in Australia.

Edited by lilli

You will not know until you have puppies on the ground in Australia :)

Very true. Frozen Semen is always a cross your fingers and pray for the best kinda thing. Our last litter was from frozen semen collected in the US about 3 years ago. From a post thaw of 70% we got 5 puppies.

You beat me to it - my next suggestion would be could you import a bitch you has been mated to him (several times! lol)

That way if she comes over empty you still get a bitch for your troubles and if she comes over with pup(s) then you get your male and don't have to import from him &/or a son.

It's up to you how quickly you try for, but in July the quarantine rules will change so your pregnant bitch only has to stay for 10 days, not 30.

ETA: If you chose to go ahead with importing his semen (post evaluation - which yes I believe is a given in the freezing process) you would be best to ask if the dog is crossing over into Germany at any point. It could potentially reduce your costs by thousands ergo reducing the amount of money your risking.

why is germany cheaper ??