11 Month Old Dog Problems

r8chl

Yes it would be sad for the puppies to be pts but if no one ever reports these people breeding and selling illegally and they never have to face consequences, how is it ever going to be stopped?

That's the thing though, it will never be stopped.

BSL has meant that these dogs cannot be bred legally (i.e, properly/ethically) so they're forced underground to be bred by idiots. It will never stop and killing a litter of puppies won't make it stop.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the OP.....while I think lavendargirl was a wee bit blunt, it is worth thinking about the consequences (legal and financial) of owning or rehoming a restricted breed, especially one that is entire. It can come back to haunt you years down the track.

The other bit of advice I'd give is that, in the interim, while you save for a behaviourist, is to ensure that your place is locked up like Fort Knox and a child leaving a gate open won't = dog gets out. If your dog is territorial and it gets out as someone walks past, it could end in disaster (for the person, your dog and you, as you are legally liable for your dogs actions and can be sued civily). Dogs don't understand that outside the fence boundary isn't their territory.

Ensure all gates are padlocked and there are at least 2 doors between your dog and the outside world. I have a territorial mini schnauzer who is too scared to "seal the deal" but my place is well secured with all gates either with padlocks or locked via keys (ie no one can even get to my front door without a key). This means that no one can accidentally let her out or bored kids can't just open the gate. A week after I got the locks installed some drunk kids tried to open the gate - I'm lucky it was padlocked and they didn't stand a chance.

SK's idea of crating him while visitors are over is a good idea. However, you need to ensure that it is a very good quality one (and definitely not a soft one) as ABPT's can destroy normal crates. I'd also be putting the crate in a locked room and taking the key so that no curious kid can let him out while you make a cup of tea etc. This might all sound like paranoia however, even though I am very careful with my little girl, we've still had one or two "oopsie" moments when she has gotten out of her crate while I had visitors and run at a kid (in the house, so she was being territorial), all guns a blazing. Fortunately she is small so I could literally lift her up by her collar and the kid's mum blocked her with a chair but you won't be able to do that with your dog.

If the kids are talking to the neighborhood kids and he is arking up he should get crated inside. Don't give him opportunities to build up his frustration and be territorial. Barking, fence running etc aren't tolerated in my house and I'm retraining Lucy to see that visitors/passers by = fun times with treats and it is slooooowly making a difference.

Wow hello..I would of thought us being in QLD they would've been desexed and i would have asked that question first, but you can presume i am heartless .. Anyway the sign was removed..

My intension was not callous it was to report someone for breeding this type of dog with more than likely no regard to whom they sold them to...and what they became.. I am not callous I love animals..

You have jumped to the wrong conclusion and I find you insulting and rude.........

Ha so the idiot that put a handwritten sign up near us

"Purebread " Pitbull pups for sale ready to go now ( ha love that can't even spell it) needs to be reported :-) I will love doing that

You'd love to be responsible for having a litter of puppies killed? (what else do you think will happen to that litter if you report it? If he can't get homes for them his only option is to have them PTS) People's callous attitude towards animals never ceases to amaze me, I didn't expect to see it in a puppy subforum though. I really have no words. What are you actually doing on dog lovers forum anyway?

Since you wrote that yesterday morning I assume you have already reported it. Sleep well tonight mumof4girls, secure in the knowledge you have done your best to ensure a litter of innocent puppies will be denied the chance of a loving home and so will almost certainly be put down.

I think people are missing the point that this is not just a "beloved pet". This is a restricted breed that has shown aggression to children. The OP will be in a bucketload of trouble if this dog is reported to council and she does not have a permit and the dog is not desexed. I don't think people have been negative for pointing out the real risks.

R8chel is clearly a responsible owner as evidenced by the fact she is asking for advice om a dog forum, and has subsequently done the research to find a behaviourist - no easy task when you live in a regional area. The dog is obviously a beloved pet, with an owner determined to do the right thing by him, and he deserves a chance.

Yes he's restricted, I'm sure she knows that. And if by some strange chance she didn't it's been pointed out numerous times already. She's asking for behaviour advice, not legal advice.

Edited (for about the 50th time) this time to add: sorry if I seem harsh Lavendergirl, but the post prior to yours has really upset me.

Yeah I hope she did too.

I'm not surprised she hasn't reported back here though.

Imagine owning a puppy, then someone chimes in about how they gonna LOVE sentencing a litter of puppies, exactly the same as your own pup, to death. :/

I didn't post here for the last few days either after reading that either, I don't want to be around people who uphold a law (a stupid, wrongheaded, unjust law) as a higher moral authority than an elementary understanding of the difference between right and wrong. A bad law is NOT a substitute for a moral code. But people are such sheep, they can't think for themselves I guess, so they rely on the govt. to do it for them.

It wouldn't surprise me if the OP doesn't return.

Anyway R8chl, if you ever do return, I really hope it all goes well for you with the behaviourist.

Wobbly get a life you have taken what I said and turned it into something horrendous shame on you. I actually said and mean that I was going to enjoy reporting the BREEDER.. I will thank you though as I really did not think that the puppies would be put to death, I was under the assumption they would have been desexed so they could not mate..I'm going to ring just to verify this as you sound like a drama queen so I am eager to hear the truth.. I will also add that We can all pretend that these pups would have gone to happy , loving homes but the reality is they more than likely would not have , but hey who cares about that..

To the op I am so very sorry if my comments hurt you, upset you, I did not mean to and I am definately nothing like this person has me made out to be, quite laughable really if this person actually knew me ..

Cheers..

Yeah I hope she did too.

I'm not surprised she hasn't reported back here though.

Imagine owning a puppy, then someone chimes in about how they gonna LOVE sentencing a litter of puppies, exactly the same as your own pup, to death. :/

I didn't post here for the last few days either after reading that either, I don't want to be around people who uphold a law (a stupid, wrongheaded, unjust law) as a higher moral authority than an elementary understanding of the difference between right and wrong. A bad law is NOT a substitute for a moral code. But people are such sheep, they can't think for themselves I guess, so they rely on the govt. to do it for them.

It wouldn't surprise me if the OP doesn't return.

Anyway R8chl, if you ever do return, I really hope it all goes well for you with the behaviourist.

Wobbly get a life you have taken what I said and turned it into something horrendous shame on you. I actually said and mean that I was going to enjoy reporting the BREEDER.. I will thank you though as I really did not think that the puppies would be put to death, I was under the assumption they would have been desexed so they could not mate..I'm going to ring just to verify this as you sound like a drama queen so I am eager to hear the truth..

The truth is if the pups are in a BSL state, they cannot be legally rehomed.

In States without a temperament test. as far as I can figure, there is only one outcome for them. :rainbowbridge:

We can all pretend that these pups would have gone to happy , loving homes but the reality is they more than likely would not have , but hey who cares about that..

WTH are you talking about? What an incredibly stupid assumption.

Every Pit I have ever met (and that's a lot of them, they're very popular in my area) has a happy loving home.

I do subscribe to the maxim "Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity", so I understand your problem is not malice. But be quiet now, you know nothing about the topic, there's nothing wrong with that, why would you, you don't own one. But since you know nothing, you really have nothing of any value to add, so best leave the topic alone.

Wobbly get a life you have taken what I said and turned it into something horrendous shame on you. I actually said and mean that I was going to enjoy reporting the BREEDER.. I will thank you though as I really did not think that the puppies would be put to death, I was under the assumption they would have been desexed so they could not mate..I'm going to ring just to verify this as you sound like a drama queen so I am eager to hear the truth..

The truth is if the pups are in a BSL state, they cannot be legally rehomed.

In States without a temperament test. as far as I can figure, there is only one outcome for them. :rainbowbridge:

Yes, Wobbly was correct, if BSL exists in the state then yes that would be the outcome.

r8chel I hope things have gone well for you. Your boy sounds like quite a territorial and aggressive dog, these problems have cropped up now because of his rising hormone levels, and yes, the lesser attention you say he has had lately, could be contributing.

In Rocky APBT's are a restricted breed, (laws state they must be microchpped, muzzled in public, and desexed). I get the impression from reading your posts that your OH might be the one who didn't want to get him desexed. Please have a talk to him about it if this is the case. Working away you are the main one working with your dog, and you are the one being affected. I think desexing will help - not a magic fix, but helpful. I fully agree with others, your boy needs be be assessed by a behavourialist.

I hope it works out and you're able to work with him and settle him down. Fingers crossed for a happy ending for you guys.

Personally, I would have him PTS...going solely on the info provided, I think he sounds like a ticking timebomb. I've been where you are, pregnant, with a small child and a dog with aggressive tendencies, and I decided to PTS. I felt very sad, and I loved him, but I would never feel 100% comfortable with him around my children, or other people.

Having all day sickness and trying to deal with other children and a dog with these tendencies would be absolotely horrible,you have my utmost sympathies, and I hope you find a solution you feel comfortable with.

I agree with this. First and foremost Im a Mum and no training would enable me to relax with this dog in the situation you are in.