What Treat Does Your Dog Likes The Most?

Niki8

Just would like to ask what treat is your dog’s favourite? Getting a lab pup in 5 weeks and we should start stocking on some yummy stuff :). If you could also mention the brand and if it’s appropriate for pups (he will be 8 weeks when we bring him home) that would be great :). THANK YOU!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, treats...pretty much any leftover meat that is cooked (no bone) but these can get messy if you have to use them for training. Another one is ziwipeak jerky treats. My 9 month old has these and he loves them.

Lamb puffs (dried lamb lung) is a big fave here... but my Lab thinks anything I give her is yummy... *grin*

I call her a Labrahoover... lol!

I actually tend to treat my dogs with pieces of their dinner kibble - works just as well as other treats.

T.

Liver cake. You make it yourself - basically whizz up a fresh cow's liver in the food processor, add garlic if you like, then mix with an egg, a bit of soft butter and self-raising flour use milk to moisten if necessary. Bake as you would an ordinary cake. Only for those who can stand the fragrant smell of liver bakery in your kitchen but it does mean you know exactly what is in it.

I cut it up into 1 cm sized squares when cold and then freeze in snap lock bags. Then when we have a show I pull one of the baggies out of the freezer.

EFS.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

I know it's probably really bad for her, but my pup loves doggy yoghurt drops more than anything else when we're training. That's her 'high value treat' for toileting and tricks. Everything else gets dinner kibble or other random treats

I'm a total bitch and don't have seperate 'meal times'

When I have a puppy all food, kibble or extras like chicken breast for example is earned through training.

Especially when they're so young you do a lot of reinforcing behaviours, toileting, sitting, nice manners that I'd rather feed meals this way then load my animal up on processed garbage.

My dogs still get treats, but they are literally treats; a rare occurance.

Edit

My girls favs are small bits of boiled egg, liver treats, chicken pieces and her number one at the moment is bacon. But that gets her a little bit too excited, plus it's too salty for me to want to feed it often

Edited by Esky the husky

I am the same as EtH when they're pups, bear worked for every piece of kibble. She wouldn't eat unless she had to earn it first-weirdo!

Bear's favourite treat at the moment is bubble bath bubbles :confused: no idea why but whenever our daughter has a bubble bath bear goes crazy. If someone can explain that to me that'd be great :laugh:

Usually I use liver treats, small bits of cereal (Cheerios don't make my pocket stinky!) cheese, chicken roll from the fridge section at woolies (buy big ones then chop up and freeze) and both my dogs go mental for Eukanuba Healthy Extras and Iams puppy biscuits :)

THANK YOU :thumbsup: Some super cool treats...haha...I guess will eventually try everything :-) I'm not a big chef but can't wait to prepare some yummies for our labbie :laugh:

tdierikx...labrahoover :rofl:

Carrot! my last Lab was obsessed with carrot and both my huskies will leave fresh chicken or a bone for a chance at some carrot!

We used very small cubes of cheese for extra difficult training tasks, they will do anything for cheese.

Pigs ears are a great treat to leave them to chew on for a while when you go out.

For dry, non-slimy stuff, I use Purina trick sticks or love'em puppy treats from Big W. I like them because they're small or easy to break apart into tiny pieces. I have small dogs, so I always have trouble finding small enough treats.

Cat treats from the pet store are also popular.

For walks when I need something smellier I use the sliced stuff from the supermarket deli, like roast beef, turkey breast, chicken, pepperoni etc, or I cut up kabanas. Sometimes I buy a roast chicken and cut it up and use that, but that's more work than I bother with most of the time.