What Treat Does Your Dog Likes The Most?

Niki8

I am yet to meet a shar pei that can't be trained to do anything with lamb puffs! Thank you T for the advice on that one! The two pei pups I've had here though went beserk for cooked chicken and chicken necks. When one was sick and just on boiled rice and chicken you'd have thought it was a gourmet meal - everybody wanted it!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear I could get labs to do cartwheels for pieces of chopped cardboard. About the only thing I can't get them to do using food - is leave me alone.

My dog (acdx) favourite treats are someone else's treats. Even if it's the same kibble I've been giving her, and I just handed some to someone else. Anybody else.

For me - her favs are roo ribbons. Soft treats - she works for roast chicken, roast beef, roast lamb, metwurst, kabanis. She's not so keen on cooked liver but loves dried liver. Trouble with dry treats and a hoover dog - is she often ends up hacking them up.

she also likes promite on toast, which I chop up into small 1/4 five cent piece size and make her work for it.

My staffy heart girl will eat anything, including your medications, vaseline, family sized blocks of chocolate, a kilo of almonds, all the things that have your emergency vet on speed dial. The one thing she wont eat is chewable heartworm/worm tablets! I coat them in peanut butter or squish them into a chicken ball or make a yummy sandwich with it in there. It doesn't matter. Whatever I try she gets all the food items off them and spits the tablets out in disgust. It drives me crazy! I've even pretended to eat it myself and 'accidentally' drop it in the hope she thinks it's people food but she still knows!!!!

I coat my canex worming tablets - that smell bad even to me... in peanut paste and then insert it as best I can inside a tinned sardine in olive oil.

Dog eats it by swallowing whole, no chewing. If she chews it - she spits it out.

I used to do evil things to my horse to get him to eat his wormer. The powdered stuff I'd put inside a wholemeal sandwich with lots of margarine and vegemite. The tubes, I'd get him under a tree, so that when he reared up to get away from the tube - he'd hit the tree, and come down and then I'd get him. Or I'd put the tube inside a cored apple and get him when he tried to eat the apple. And then I'd feed him the apple - to help get rid of the taste... Eventually I gave up and got the vet to give him an injection - much less grief that way.

Anything and everything. Lili even eats tablets like they're a treat :laugh:

Favourites are chicken, cheese, banana and other scraps. Anything that is eaten by the humans is considered "precious". We give them dried liver and schmacko like things too but not as often as they're full of salt.

Maybe we need another thread on the creative lengths people go to to get their animals to take their medication!

I don't need to go to creative lengths - they beg for them just because they come out of a packet in the cupboard :laugh:

Maybe we need another thread on the creative lengths people go to to get their animals to take their medication!

I don't need to go to creative lengths - they beg for them just because they come out of a packet in the cupboard :laugh:

lol - mine too. In fact, I use them as jackpots for training :laugh:

Guest Labradork

The only thing my Lab won't eat is worming tablets... none of my dogs will. Any other tablet goes down with gusto.

T.

I had this problem... I make a peanut butter and oatmeal paste and stuff it inside a Kong with the tablet hidden deep inside. I soak the oatmeal in a bit of cold water first (if you use hot water, it goes all thick and gooey). I buy the organic/no added crap peanut butter - you can buy it in a big tub from Safeway - but still I'm not really keen on feeding a dog peanuts... So it's more like peanut butter flavoured oatmeal LOL.

The only problem, is when you have a big tub of yummy, smooth organic peanut butter in the cupboard, you end up eating spoonfuls of it yourself :laugh:

my boy goes nuts for kangaroo tendons - absolutely loves them!

he also really quite likes the blackdog rooballs. he's generally quite fussy but loves these two things. the roo balls i use as the really high value training treats and the roo tendons i give to him for his teeth when we've run out of fresh or frozen bones.