Any Foods To Slow Senility In Dogs?

Kirislin

All my whippets are aging now but most appear in very good physical health. Kibah though appears to be going senile. She's always been a bit quirky, I've loved that about her but I see something else starting to happen now.

I'm just wondering if there's any miracle food that either slows, stops or reverses the aging and befuddling of the brain. I probably need to take it myself as well if there is.

Kirislin you could ask the vet, but I doubt it. I have had 4 in recent years who have gone senile, each one was affected differently. There is a medication called vivitonin which helps with the pacing, but only 2 of my dogs paced enough to warrant the meds.

I dont even know what to expect in the future, it's not too bad yet, Kibah is just a bit vague. She's always loved her food but lately she's been sleeping in 'cause she's also going deaf, so doesn't hear the commotion of clanging bowls and Puck doing his happy song. Sometimes I go and wake her to let her know brekky's been served and she leaps out of bed, all excited and races off to eat. This morning she wasn't there and I assumed she was still in bed, but then I turned around and she was just sitting on a chair watching the others eat. I took her food bowl over to her and she just looked at it blankly. Only when I held a piece under her nose did she react and then started happily gobbling it down. It's just not her normal behaviour, I know she's not sick, so I can only put it down to aging. :(

Guest Labradork

How about foods high in Omega-3 oils? I don't know about reversing senility, but surely they would help towards slowing it down or preventing it?

Flaxseed oil, cod liver oil (though, be careful about Vitamin A toxicity), salmon, tuna, trout, sardines, eggs, chicken, brussel sprouts, kale and spinach.

Edited by Labradork

I did a paper on this ages ago and there are things that help but I don't remember all the specifics or the studies. I do recall that DHA and EPA are beneficial and foods high in antioxidants. Depending on what you are feeding these may already be supplemented. It's been close to ten years though and no doubt new information is available.

Thanks for your replies. Haven, what is DHA and EPA? :confused:

I did a paper on this ages ago and there are things that help but I don't remember all the specifics or the studies. I do recall that DHA and EPA are beneficial and foods high in antioxidants. Depending on what you are feeding these may already be supplemented. It's been close to ten years though and no doubt new information is available.