Poisonous Plants

JulesP

My dogs scoffed plums for years! They used to jump up and pull them off the tree if there were none on the ground. 5 of them did that and none suffered any ill effect. They were a smaller variety of plum than normal plums.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our apricot tree is HUGE and full of fruit, Mosley eats the ones that fall but I don't think he eats the pips as I find them underneath the tree....I'll have to keep an eye out,

Just be careful Aussie, I pick all the fruit now as it is just not worth the risk. Maybe pick up the fruit off the ground....

The weird thing is, Bella has never in 10 years eaten the plumbs :confused:

It was difficult to diagnose to begin with, I had no idea that she had been eating plumbs and didnt mention it to the vet, at first they thought she had had a stroke. I saw the seeds in her stool and which led us to cyanide poisoning.

Bella was at the emergency vet in a very bad way, it was terrible. Thank god she pulled through, I adore the monkey!

Thanks Nic, I think I will!

Our apricot tree is HUGE and full of fruit, Mosley eats the ones that fall but I don't think he eats the pips as I find them underneath the tree....I'll have to keep an eye out,

Just be careful Aussie, I pick all the fruit now as it is just not worth the risk. Maybe pick up the fruit off the ground....

It was difficult to diagnose to begin with, I had no idea that she had been eating plumbs and didnt mention it to the vet, at first they thought she had had a stroke. I saw the seeds in her stool and which led us to cyanide poisoning.

Bella was at the emergency vet in a very bad way, it was terrible. Thank god she pulled through, I adore the monkey!

Pick the ones from the lower branches too. When he doesn't find any on the ground he might start jumping up and picking himself! A couple of my borders used to do this.

Pick the ones from the lower branches too. When he doesn't find any on the ground he might start jumping up and picking himself! A couple of my borders used to do this.

Yeah I will, he's a big boy so could reach the lower branches easily!

I guess it is true of most plants that elements of toxicity can be put to good use; although I can't think of any redeeming features of WJ :laugh:

Vitamin B17/ laetrile comes to mind.....this treatment is often advocated by alternative practitioners for cancer. The soft inner pit or the seed of the apricot is one of the highest sources of vitamin B17. The Hunza people of the Himalayas have become very famous over the years because they are some of the longest lived people in the world with a high quality of health & vitality. The apricot tree is the Hunza's main crop & they snack on them eating as many as 60 per day.

When Rogan was undergoing treatment for osteosarcoma we used to grind up apricot kernels & mix them with his food. He used to get 30 per day & showed no ill effects.