Mast Cell Tumour Of The Paw

Bindo

Hi Everyone,

I received some devastating news last week re Lucy (my 8 yr mini schnauzer) and was wondering if anyone here has had similar experience. What we thought was an interdigital cyst in her left front paw, turned out to be Mast Cell tumour grade 3, very hight mitotic index, ie agressive and will proably metastasize. We have an appointment with the oncologist on Thursday, to see what the options are, but because of the location and grade, I am not optimistic. I am not going to put her through a lot of traumatic and disfiguring treatment, just want her to have quality time of what is left. The worse thing is, that I think there is another site developing in her right paw too!

I've read some of the posts on MCT in the health and this forum, but most of these have been on other body sites, not the paws. I can alrady see where this awful tumour is re-growing now on her left paw (following the initial surgery)so not sure how much longer she will be able to walk on it. Any advice or experience would be much appreciated.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi just aw this.

Have a read of Ollie's thread.

He did have multiple tumour sites. His MCT was systemic and had moved into his lymph system... Ours was grad 2 no clear margins when dxd. We were given 12-18 months and he lived 6 years..

We removed the largest unmourned and the others that were suspect initially. He did have a tumour in one of his toes a few years later but that was a round cell tumour and aggressive according to the results.

Initially we did chemo (vinblastin and lomustein sp?) plus holistic support while having chemo...

Chemo for dogs is nothing like chemo for humans. They cannot give them the same doses they give us... They simply prolong life with chemo in dogs, they are not curing the cancer...

The holistic vet was invaluable with diet and supplements.

Diet is so very important for cancer dogs, as is supplements to assist the dogs immune system..

Anti histamines are important with MCT patients as the tumours release histamine and this creates more problems for the dog with allergic like reactions..

Good luck..

Talk to your vet about Palladia, they have had great success with that drug for MCT patients..

Hi just aw this.

Have a read of Ollie's thread.

He did have multiple tumour sites. His MCT was systemic and had moved into his lymph system... Ours was grad 2 no clear margins when dxd. We were given 12-18 months and he lived 6 years..

We removed the largest unmourned and the others that were suspect initially. He did have a tumour in one of his toes a few years later but that was a round cell tumour and aggressive according to the results.

Initially we did chemo (vinblastin and lomustein sp?) plus holistic support while having chemo...

Chemo for dogs is nothing like chemo for humans. They cannot give them the same doses they give us... They simply prolong life with chemo in dogs, they are not curing the cancer...

The holistic vet was invaluable with diet and supplements.

Diet is so very important for cancer dogs, as is supplements to assist the dogs immune system..

Anti histamines are important with MCT patients as the tumours release histamine and this creates more problems for the dog with allergic like reactions..

Good luck..

Talk to your vet about Palladia, they have had great success with that drug for MCT patients..

Many thanks Staffy Luv and others, Yes, I read right through your thread last night (and can remember Ollie's fight from being on the forum at that time), so thanks very much for all the detail and positive thoughts. I am writing down all my questions for the vet on Thursday, so hopefully we will have a plan after that. As with many human cancers these days, hopefully we can look upon it as managing a chronic illness, not an immediate death sentence. In the meantime, apart from a slight limp, Lucy is as bright and hungry as ever, so that's good.

Just thought I would give an update re Lucy. Better news this week; chest, liver and spleen all clear, no signs of secondaries anywhere. Other paw is not MCT, just inflammation and bacterial infection. She is on polaramine now and we see the vet again tomorrow re probable toe (2) amputation later this week and mop up chemo.

Thanks so much to everyone for their thoughts and suggestions, will keep you updated re our progress. :)

Quick update: Lucy is home from hospital, surgery went very well and she is quite mobile already, with a nice padded bandage. Awaiting pathology for clearances (if possible) and then will see the oncologist for ongoing treatment. Feeling a lot more positive than two weeks ago, and we have given her the best chance for remission. Fingers and paws crossed! Many thanks to everyone here for their support and wishes.

Hi guys, quick Lucy update. Good news - lines all clear and lymph node negative!! So, we see the oncologist next week re the need for mop up chemo, but at least now I feel that we have given her the best chance and am cautiously optimistic. The wound is healing really well, and she should have the stitches out late next week. I had a look and it didn't seem to bad at all, as a friend said, just a radical pedicure :laugh:. Once her coat grows back, probably won't even notice it.

She is nearly back to her normal self, hunting lizards and chasing birds in the backyard. We can start short walks this week. She is now sporting a nice new fluoro orange bandage, and looking forward to a weekend up the coast, sitting on the deck and barking at all and sundry who dare to walk past! :)

Many thanks to all the supportive advice and wishes, much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. Lucy's paw has healed very well and she now walks quite well without any bandage, but vet wants her to wear her a baby sock when out and about, just for protection, for a few more weeks. We get some interesting looks!

We saw the oncologist yesterday and she has started on a mop up regime of palladia and prednisone via tablets, with an injection of another chemo drug weekly. They say all her test results to date are very good. I was worried about her other paw as a new lump seemed to appear, but they aspirated yesterday and no mast cells, still an ongoing bacterial dermatitis we are trying to clear, so that's a relief! We have also started her on a cooked diet with supplements, so we'll see how she goes tonight with that - food has NEVER been a problem with her, so fingers crossed that continues.

I can't speak highly enough of all the vets and nurses at SASH. Lucy can be quite fearful in new situations and at the vet, but they know exactly how to 'meet and greet' and they tell me she is the perfect patient for them. A bit like your kids always on best behaviour when you're not around. :laugh: The 'patchwork' coat was clipped back today, so she is all ready for a long weekend at the beach, where hopefully the salt water will also help the paws.

We're all realistic about her long term prognosis, but feel with the clear margins and as long as she is happy and active, it is worth a shot. Once again, thanks for all the support and help from in here, and when I get my act together, I will post a few photos of the girl with her new 'pedicure'. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks Guys for all the good wishes and thoughts.

Just updating as it might help others who are going through a similar journey and trying to make decisions. Lucy is going well on the chemo, they adjusted the dose down after her first week, when some bloods came back a bit low. She really doesn't appear to have any adverse effects as yet. Just noticed that she is a bit slower on walks at the end, but that could be a combination of her amputation (although really well healed), the drugs, and age. So we just take it easy, and do shorter ones, out of the heat of the day. Still eating like a horse so no trouble get the meds down :) She is playing with all her toys and annoying the cat as usual.

Like some others, I was always of the opinion that I would never put a dog on chemo, but you never know until it happens to you! So, we shall take each week at a time, and hope that she remains disease free for a while yet.

You can see here that she is still very agile:

Mmmm, I can get up here but how do I get down?

IMG_1001_zps25d3351b.jpg

And now, where is that cat's dinner plate?

IMG_1003_zps6b53019c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas from Lucy to all in here with their own battles. A few months ago, I didn't think she would be here for Christmas so every day and week is a bonus/

Just a disclaimer, I did not buy this outfit, it was a gift from a friend!

I'm not even going to look at the camera:

Santa1_zps7ec9c4de.jpg

A bit OTT, even for a schnauzer:

Santa3_zps4052bd35.jpg