Mast Cell Tumour Of The Paw

Bindo

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Lucy update, might help others in similar journey:

She has her last IV Vinblastin injection next week (has had one a week for six weeks) and then we stay on Palladia/three tablets a week for 2-3 months, with just monthly check ups, unless there are any problems. Overall she has coped quite well, but was a bit flat for the first time this week. However, we had been in the bush for a week and she had been doing a lot more than usual (on rabbit patrol) and it was hot during the day, so that probably took its toll. Her bloods were all good this week.

I can now see the effects of the prednisone more, ie muscle wasting, pot belly, panting, snoring +++, and loss of power, but it has to be part of the protocol and she is not on a high dose. I need to check this week how long she needs to stay on it. However, a benefit has been that her paws are much better, no itching or inflammation at all.

Many thanks to everyone in other threads here for all the information regarding supportive treatments and contacts. I plan to discuss these options with the vet this week and see if it is an option for Lucy. Not looking forward to the high heat forecast for Tuesday, as we don't have AC, but at least someone will be home and can keep an eye on her (and give her a hose play) if needed. :)

Quick Lucy update, might help others in similar journey:

She has her last IV Vinblastin injection next week (has had one a week for six weeks) and then we stay on Palladia/three tablets a week for 2-3 months, with just monthly check ups, unless there are any problems. Overall she has coped quite well, but was a bit flat for the first time this week. However, we had been in the bush for a week and she had been doing a lot more than usual (on rabbit patrol) and it was hot during the day, so that probably took its toll. Her bloods were all good this week.

I can now see the effects of the prednisone more, ie muscle wasting, pot belly, panting, snoring +++, and loss of power, but it has to be part of the protocol and she is not on a high dose. I need to check this week how long she needs to stay on it. However, a benefit has been that her paws are much better, no itching or inflammation at all.

Many thanks to everyone in other threads here for all the information regarding supportive treatments and contacts. I plan to discuss these options with the vet this week and see if it is an option for Lucy. Not looking forward to the high heat forecast for Tuesday, as we don't have AC, but at least someone will be home and can keep an eye on her (and give her a hose play) if needed. :)

Lovely Christmas photo, Lucy modelled the latest seasons outfit beautifully. Hopefully at home after her exciting week away she will pick up a bit. I have noticed Kobe tires easily, but while he's up, eager and ready to go and do....I'm not going to stop him.

Are you using any supportive treatments to aide Lucy while she undergoes the chemo?

Hi Shepherds, I am using a Vets All Natural supplement with her evening meal and she is on a special diet as prescribed by the oncology vet. But I am going to discuss other options as suggested in here with the vets this week and see what they say. :)

Hi Shepherds, I am using a Vets All Natural supplement with her evening meal and she is on a special diet as prescribed by the oncology vet. But I am going to discuss other options as suggested in here with the vets this week and see what they say. :)

That's good, the one thing I've found is it never hurts to ask....and while our vets can do brilliant things, they don't seem to be taught or exposed to a lot of information around supportive therapies to help the over all well being of our animals, especially those that are extremely sick or have chronic health issues.

I'm a big believer that both can work hand and hand and especially dealing with cancer our pets need all the help they can get.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update: Bit of a roller coaster this last week, as Lucy started vomiting last Wednesday morning and was diagnosed with pancreatitis by the afternoon. Luckily, she recovered very quickly and was back home again by the Friday, after IV fluids and support. However, vets think that Palladia was an issue, so she is off all medication at the moment and we go back next week to discuss next options. Good news was that when they did the ultrasound, there is no sign of any systemic disease in abdominal organs.

She had a lovely cool weekend in the mountains, just resting and I can see her improving every day. I must admit she seems happier within herself off chemo, so at this stage I am not too keen on putting her back on another regime, especially considering a schnauzer's tendency for biliary problems. I would rather her enjoy whatever time she has left feeling good, than prolong her life (for me) while feeling lousy. But will consider all of this once we see the vet again on Wednesday.

In the meantime, she has a lovely friend to keep her company as we are fostering another little MS girl for Schnauzer Rescue and they are enjoying each others company. The new girl is just a delight, very happy and not pushy at all, and respects Lucy's (and the cat's!) position in the household. You would think she had been here for years! :laugh:

In the meantime, she has a lovely friend to keep her company as we are fostering another little MS girl for Schnauzer Rescue and they are enjoying each others company. The new girl is just a delight, very happy and not pushy at all, and respects Lucy's (and the cat's!) position in the household. You would think she had been here for years! :laugh:

*cough* foster failure *cough* :laugh:

*cough* foster failure *cough* :laugh:

Yes, have to admit, it's official now! Will post details and photos when I have more time, but she is just gorgeous so couldn't let her go! Lucy was always first priority, but I think Missy's presence has really helped her and they are getting closer every day.

Lucy had a check up today at the vet and all good. She has recovered well from the pancreatitis. The vet and I both agreed on a 'watch and wait' approach, as she did get some chemo in before she got sick. As I said all along, if the treatment made her really unwell or not happy then I would not continue. I just want quality of life for her for whatever time she has left.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick Lucy update for the fellow travelers (and others) on this journey. We went back to the vet today for her first monthly check up since pancreatitis and subsequent cease of chemo/prednisone. So far so good :thumbsup: No visible sign of disease and she looks good, has put on a bit of weight since the pancreatitis, which she needed. She will stay on a low fat diet for the rest of her life and no bones (unfortunate, as she loved them) but better to be safe than sorry. Even roo bones are a no no.

Missy came with us too (for moral support for Lucy :) ) and got lots of cuddles, pats and treats from all the vet nurses and staff. She lapped it up, and was very well behaved. Thought it would be good for her to have a positive vet visit and it was lovely to see her so happy to see Lucy when she re-appeared. She just loves the car and doesn't want to get out when we get home, so funny.

Unless we have any problems in the meantime, they don't want to see her for another 2 months - every finger and toe crossed. :crossfingers:

• 2 weeks later...

I hope all the doggies in this forum are going well at the moment :crossfingers: Lucy was not great last week, just seemed a bit flat and yelped a few times when handled. Off to the vets, and after going over her very thoroughly and then an ultrasound, nothing new, so could have just been a minor upset. She's still a bit quieter but seems to be OK. Totally knackered tonight after a weekend in the bush - they are both fast asleep at my feet.

Missy had her first weekend at Hampton, and did very well, seeing she's never been off lead with me before. Here's some photos:

In doggy paradise:

Missy_tree.jpg

How can I get to those kangaroos?:

Missy_off.jpg

Not sure about that creek!:

Missy_creek.jpg

Lucy chilling out:

Lucy_creek.jpg