Mast Cell Tumour Of The Paw

Bindo

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much to everyone who is thinking of us, very sweet. Without wanting to jinx things, Lucy is traveling really well at the moment. She's recovered from whatever was ailing her a few weeks ago, and seems to have more energy these days. Probably both the effects of the prednisone wearing off and the weather cooling a bit. She is off all medication now, with just good food and lots of TLC. Like Kobe, she is now just four and a half months since diagnosis and the average prognosis with her grade of tumour was 4 months, so every extra day is a bonus.

I have been taking both her and Missy down to a large leash-free park area near the river, and let Lucy off (as she's rock solid off lead) and Missy on lead. It's so funny as Lucy bounds ahead as if to show off and say 'I'm still top dog' (which she is). We have a lovely 30 min wander and then back home. Missy is off to obedience lessons, starting on Wednesday, as I don't think she has done any and I certainly need a refresher. Recall is top priority but she's getting there.

We're heading up to the bush on Saturday (after the Swans first game - have to get my priorities right!)so they will have a lovely time up there running around with all the exciting smells and two schnauzers next door. I will try to get some good photos, but keeping all four together for a photo shoot is a challenge!

I was so sad to hear about Emma this week - makes us all want to give them lots of love and treasure what time we have left. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shepherds, thanks for thinking of us. :) Lucy is still going well (every digit crossed). She has a bit of trouble with her paws, they tend to flare up after bush visits, but malaseb foot baths, polaramine tablets and some cortavance spray when needed, seems to work. I've noticed the skin between her pads in her 'healthy' front paw tends to get inflammed and swollen, from time to time. I always get the oncology vet to check this when we go, but so far so good. Of course, I am paranoid whenever I see a foot problem, as this is probably where the MCT will recur, if not abdominal secondaries.

They are both asleep in the sun now, after a big walk down by the river.

Edit: How is Kobe doing?

Edited by Bindo

Hi Shepherds, thanks for thinking of us. :) Lucy is still going well (every digit crossed). She has a bit of trouble with her paws, they tend to flare up after bush visits, but malaseb foot baths, polaramine tablets and some cortavance spray when needed, seems to work. I've noticed the skin between her pads in her 'healthy' front paw tends to get inflammed and swollen, from time to time. I always get the oncology vet to check this when we go, but so far so good. Of course, I am paranoid whenever I see a foot problem, as this is probably where the MCT will recur, if not abdominal secondaries.

Sounds like a good snooze to be having. Have you thought about getting some boots for Lucy? I have just bought some boots for my eldest boy Levi. He had degenerative myelopathy and if you are not familiar with it, it is a very cruel (but painless) disease that robs them of rear end function to eventual paralysis. Somewhere over the past couple months, in amongst all the Kobe issues, Levi has had a fairly big downhill slide (DM tends to deteriorate, plateau for a while and then slide again).

I got the boots for him to protect his nails (one had started to bleed from the scuffing of his rear feet), plus also the boots provide support and stability and stop him slipping on the tiles/carpet. The boots are brilliant and he has taken to them like a duck to water (trendsetter that he is). They make 3 different style of boots depending on what they are needed for and are honestly the best thing I have got for him.

As for Kobe (thanks for asking), he continues to have his ups and downs. Food has become a real issue again, refusing to eat and he has lost weight. I have him booked in for an ultrasound on Monday as I need to know whether the lack of appetite is as a result of things deteriorating, or he is just being a shit (said with love) with his new food regime. I'm obviously hoping he's just being a shit....my head is telling me to be realistic...and the heart doesn't want to know. :(. And with Levi's deterioration, it's all getting a bit much :cry:

If you are interested in the boots, I will dig out the link for you of where I got them from... Great service and price.

Edited by shepherds

shepherds, sorry to read that your boy Levi has DM. I was ignorant and never heard of this condition before, I watched a video and now can understand your worries. Have you got a sling/harness to help Levi mobilise? :(

Also wishing for Kobe and Lucy to hang around for a long time. :)

shepherds, sorry to read that your boy Levi has DM. I was ignorant and never heard of this condition before, I watched a video and now can understand your worries. Have you got a sling/harness to help Levi mobilise? :(

Also wishing for Kobe and Lucy to hang around for a long time. :)

Thanks gwp4me..... Just can't seem to catch a break these days, have got Kobe eating again, reasonably consistent and happily then yesterday morning Levi has come down with apparent geriactric vestibular disease which with him having DM just makes everything that much worse. Have been able to manage him without a harness up until now but have been thinking about adding one to go with his boots.

Hope everyone has a lovely relaxing weekend, enjoying the simple things in life with your four legged lot.

Sounds like a good snooze to be having. Have you thought about getting some boots for Lucy? I have just bought some boots for my eldest boy Levi. He had degenerative myelopathy and if you are not familiar with it, it is a very cruel (but painless) disease that robs them of rear end function to eventual paralysis. Somewhere over the past couple months, in amongst all the Kobe issues, Levi has had a fairly big downhill slide (DM tends to deteriorate, plateau for a while and then slide again).

I got the boots for him to protect his nails (one had started to bleed from the scuffing of his rear feet), plus also the boots provide support and stability and stop him slipping on the tiles/carpet. The boots are brilliant and he has taken to them like a duck to water (trendsetter that he is). They make 3 different style of boots depending on what they are needed for and are honestly the best thing I have got for him.

As for Kobe (thanks for asking), he continues to have his ups and downs. Food has become a real issue again, refusing to eat and he has lost weight. I have him booked in for an ultrasound on Monday as I need to know whether the lack of appetite is as a result of things deteriorating, or he is just being a shit (said with love) with his new food regime. I'm obviously hoping he's just being a shit....my head is telling me to be realistic...and the heart doesn't want to know. :(. And with Levi's deterioration, it's all getting a bit much :cry:

If you are interested in the boots, I will dig out the link for you of where I got them from... Great service and price.

Hi Shepherds, thanks so much for the help. Yes, i would be interested in the boots. I did get some when Lucy was first recovering from her surgery, but they were only from a local shop and didn't stay on very well. I ended up using the velcro from them and wrapping it around a baby sock on her foot - very princess like for a schnauzer! It would be a great help up in the bush, as she still loves going for her walks, but I find that the dirt road we tend to use is hard on her paw (she has had two toes removed)and she starts to limp after about 1km (and I end up carrying her home!). Would also be good for protection from grass seeds and burrs for that sensitive paw.

I'm so sorry to hear about Kobe and Levi - what a time for you! I hope they have Levi is feeling better and that Kobe has decided to enjoy his new diet. Fingers crossed that the ultrasound was clear. :crossfingers:

Hi Bindo - following is the link to the website that produces the boots (you can see they have three different types)

http://www.ruffwear.com/dog_boots

You can't order directly from their website as they dont do international orders, but I found various suppliers in Australia and as I only wanted to order two boots for his rear feet, I ended up going with Canine Spirit (http://www.caninespirit.com.au/master_products/131) - the boots were here within 3 days and I got the grip trex ones which Im very very happy with.

It was a little bit hard getting the size measurement right (its not how you think it would be...or maybe it was just me lol) - just follow the instructions on the ruff wear page and you should be okay.

Levi doing much better today, not that he was actually invited, but come hell or high water he was going for a walk around the paddock this morning with the others, so we did a very small half a lap and he was happy.

Kobe's ultrasound was also a good result - no obvious metastases to any of his major organs. So gotta be happy with that.

shepheds, good news Levi and Kobe are travelling so well for you.

Bindo, I bought 4x Grip Trex booties for Adi, he wears them when he has sore pads from licking (summer grass allergy), makes going for a walk painless for him. Only problem, the breeder did not remove his dew claws, so I have to put a band-aid or Micropore between claw and foot, otherwise they dig in and cause bleeding. Never bought a GWP with dew claws intact before. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

shepheds, good news Levi and Kobe are travelling so well for you.

Bindo, I bought 4x Grip Trex booties for Adi, he wears them when he has sore pads from licking (summer grass allergy), makes going for a walk painless for him. Only problem, the breeder did not remove his dew claws, so I have to put a band-aid or Micropore between claw and foot, otherwise they dig in and cause bleeding. Never bought a GWP with dew claws intact before. :eek:

Sounds like we have the same problem! Will definitely check all these options out.

I have recently changed local vets, so as Lucy was due for her vaccinations, we went over her other problems. New vet is wonderful and so much more thorough than previous one. She picked the cause of her foot allergy in one - cement dust. We had been re-cementing and paving some areas outside (where the dogs walk to get from the back to the lawn) and the cement dust can cause big problems in susceptible dogs. Her licking/chewing had caused a bacterial infection as well, so she is now on antibiotics and alternate Malaseb/Pyohex foot baths. However, the good news is that there was no mast cells in the affected areas. :thumbsup: And hubby has just high-pressure hosed the back area, now that the work has finished, so hopefully things will improve.

We have just had a few days in the bush and she enjoyed it all, although not keen to walk on the gravel road (hence the need for the booties). She's so funny, stops dead, looks up at me and when I go to her, she backs in and almost tries to jump into my arms (as she knows I will carry her home). Once there, she just snuggles in and enjoys the view! Apart from that, she walked willingly on the grass and was very playful every morning with her toys. Still eating like there's no tomorrow, and whatever is given, so that's great.

Like others, it appears as though she is shrinking before my eyes, as again her collar and harness had to be adjusted, although her weight is constant. I've also noticed her coat is not anywhere near what it should be - she hardly needs a clip after 7 weeks. I hope all of this is just ongoing effects of the prednisone and not anything more sinister. :crossfingers:

However, compared to others in this forum, we are going well at the moment. My heart goes out to the others who are dealing with much tougher situations at the present - you know who you are. :hug:

• 1 month later...

We have just arrived back after a wonderful camping holiday of central Australia and the Kimberly and for most of this time our son was looking after the dogs, except for a week of boarding in the middle. Lucy had boarded before but Missy was an unknown but they both appeared to cope. However, Lucy is a foot chewer when stressed, so I did come home to brown feet and beard, and her paws were quite inflammed. We are back onto the malaseb/pyohex washes and already they are improving.

She also had some weird black 'bites' on her lower belly and under her tail which were very itchy (she was trying to lick and scratch). At first I thought the worst (?mast cell recurrence), but decided to wait and see, after a good bath and some cortisone ointment. Happy to report they have reduced and almost gone and she is nowhere near as red. It was very wet wile we were away and I found a leech in the yard yesterday, so wouldn't be surprised if that was the culprit. She has had leech bites before up in the bush (the site fits, as they attach while the dogs are sitting)and they get very itchy afterwards (I know this from personal experience too!).

She's eating like a horse, as usual, and still very playful and happy, so we can't complain at all. Just need to get her feet under control, but she's had a clip and looking much better (son obviously 'forgot' where the brushes were kept) :laugh:

When I get my act together, I will try to get a photo of them both to post up. :)

Nice to read that Lucy is doing so well, and has a good appetite, so happy for you both. :cheer: What a blessing for you to come home to. Your son surely did a good job babysitting the dogs. :)

Yes, he is very good with the dogs, told me he used to wake up with 'the zoo' on his bed - Lucy, Missy and Lily (cat). They wouldn't dare try that with me! I just have to turn a blind eye to the mess that is his bedroom - there are more important things in life :laugh:

Great to hear Lucy is doing so well Bindo....and sounds like your son did a great job looking after the zoo. Your holiday sounds lovely and just what is needed here...just need a build in babysitter.....kids do have their uses....

Now we will just sit a wait for the photo of the zoo...with Lucy front and center.... :)