Mast Cell Tumour Of The Paw

Bindo

Well I finally got some photos of Lucy. She's so funny, when she sees the camera she walks right up and pokes her face in the lens, so trying to get a decent shot is hard.

Enjoying the sun at home:

P6130498.jpg

The girls together in the bush (bit of bad hair day, burrs everywhere!):

P6170500.jpg

You can see where Lucy's paws are brown from her licking, but happy to report that now that I am back home and the bathing/medication regime is back on track, things are improving.

She's not as keen for long walks these days, but still wakes up every morning rolling around in her bed and then 'killing' any toy within reach, so can't complain at all. :)

Edited by Bindo

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Quick Lucy update for others who may be on a similar journey (and old cyber friends!). We are still working on the yeast problems (paws/ears) but getting there I hope. Have been adding some omega oils to her diet, together with apple cider vinegar in water, as well as the malaseb washes and now ear drops (Dermotic). Just in case of thyroid issues and as she had been drinking/weeing a bit more lately (?diabetes) we had a few tests done and also went back to SASH for a checkup today. Urine test was all clear (got a good sample on first try!), and her bloods today were also good. They gave her a check up all over and also a chest x-ray. Pleased to report (while touching every wooden object) that at the moment, all is clear.

Like me, the vet did notice that she had lost a bit of condition/weight, but not drastically. She has been on a low fat diet since her pancreatitis in January, so they feel that this is probably contributing, in the absence of any signs of MCT spread. So, madam will be in seventh heaven as she can now have a bit more to eat, both quantity and variety, while still watching fat contents etc. Appetite is NEVER an issue with her, so hopefully she will slowly gain a bit of weight. The vet also said that her (sometimes) lack of energy may have been related to the food issues so we shall see how that goes.

As I really didn't think last October (diagnosis date) that she would be here now, we take very day as a blessing, and enjoy watching her and Missy together. I have a lovely photo of both of them before the open fire in our cottage, after a big day of 'hunting' kangaroos (in their dreams :laugh: ). Will post it up when I'm more organised. :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I received some devastating news last week re Lucy (my 8 yr mini schnauzer) and was wondering if anyone here has had similar experience. What we thought was an interdigital cyst in her left front paw, turned out to be Mast Cell tumour grade 3, very hight mitotic index, ie agressive and will proably metastasize. We have an appointment with the oncologist on Thursday, to see what the options are, but because of the location and grade, I am not optimistic. I am not going to put her through a lot of traumatic and disfiguring treatment, just want her to have quality time of what is left. The worse thing is, that I think there is another site developing in her right paw too!

I've read some of the posts on MCT in the health and this forum, but most of these have been on other body sites, not the paws. I can alrady see where this awful tumour is re-growing now on her left paw (following the initial surgery)so not sure how much longer she will be able to walk on it. Any advice or experience would be much appreciated.

good news and every day is a blessing

Many thanks Smiley! Yes, I realised this week that we are up to the first anniversary of diagnosis - pretty good considering the pathology prognosis was 4 months. I will write up a full update with pictures tomorrow. :)

• 2 weeks later...

good news and every day is a blessing

Many thanks Smiley! Yes, I realised this week that we are up to the first anniversary of diagnosis - pretty good considering the pathology prognosis was 4 months. I will write up a full update with pictures tomorrow. :)

oh that is great news!

h

It's great to see everything going well Bindo.

I am concerned we now might also have a potential MCT on Boof's foot. It was this thread that made me look closer. He has a round growth between his toes on one of his back paws and another lump that has come up on his neck.

I'm hoping the paw is an interdigital cyst although it doesn't look like the others I have seen. There is no inflammation whereas every case I've seen of cysts there has been inflammation.

What did Lucy's look like?

Hi Anne, sorry to hear about Boof's latest worries, hope it turns out OK. Lucy's MCT in the paw originally looked just like an interdigital cyst - she had had one before and it just went away on its own. I think this is why the vet wasn't worried at first. The MCT just didn't clear and it was both in between her claws from a top view, and then there was a sinus like formation where it had spread between her pads from looking under her feet (hope this makes sense). Local vet (at the time, not now!) did two excisions but it grew back both times, before histo was finally done.

Hate to say it but I fear that it has returned. She is having terrible problems with her skin, particularly feet with inflammed swollen pads,and despite seeing dermatologists and trying different regimes, even now on steroids things are not improving. She has had two aspirations of this horrible lump that has appeared on the same paw, but both results clear of MCT cells. However, even the dermatologist is suspicious and if it doesn't reduce this week, she wants to see her again and will get the oncologist to have a look this time, ? biopsy. There is a similar looking lump on her back foot too :(

Smiley, this is why I haven't yet posted on your website, as I need to find out a bit more this week. We have already decided that if the MCT has returned, we are not going to put her through any more surgery or chemo. Even if not, we are currently going through some difficult decisions about her quality of life with the skin problems as it is becoming increasingly difficult for her to walk (due to the sore pads) and she seems to have lost her 'zing'. Can't remember the last time she tried to play with a toy and spends most of the day trying to hide under my bed. Heartbreaking. :cry: I just want to make the right decision by her and at the right time.

Sorry Anne, just re-read your post and question about inflammation. Lucy's MCT was inflammed and bleeding/weepy - this happened very quickly over a few days and was what prompted the vet visit. However, a number of vets have said how hard they are to pick up clinically without testing as they can present in all different ways. Interestingly, it was a vet in a regional area who first suggested MCT when the 'interdigital cyst' recurred after the first surgery, while we were away for the weekend.

Edit: Many thanks guys for your thoughts and wishes, means a great deal. :)

Edited by Bindo

We've had a range of presentations with Boof. He's had MCTs that present like a wart (which is what the new growth is liked on his neck) and others which had been more like skin tags and softer. We have also had one that was under the dermis and felt like a cyst to me but it wasn't round. It was more oval in shape. This one is round and doesn't seem attached to anything but it is hard to tell because of the position.

Well finally an answer to Lucy's latest problems but not what we wanted to hear. Cutaneous lymphoma. Explains all the symptoms and problems with her feet. Lesions now starting to appear around her eyes/nose and in her mouth. We are not going to confirm with biopsy as it would mean a GA/surgery and I am not putting her through any more suffering. No evidence of links to the MCT, but I feel that it certainly is related to a compromised immune system.

We will keep her comfortable, as long as she is happy/mobile and still eating, but I am not going to prolong her life for my benefit. At this stage, I want to her have a lovely last day while she is still relatively well, eat the biggest bone she has ever eaten (hasn't been allowed one for over a year now) and then drift off to sleep at home with her family.Then, when the time is right, we will scatter her and Darcy's (previous boy) ashes at our place in the mountains, their favourite place of all times. They can chase kangaroos together to their heart's content.

Thanks to everyone on here for their support during our journey over the past year or so, and best wishes to all those with their own challenges.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this :hug:

I understand completely and I feel the same way about quality of life versus longevity. And I think what you have in mind for her last few days is lovely.