Mast Cell Tumour Of The Paw

Bindo

We gave Lucy her wings this afternoon. She fell asleep in my arms at home, after wolfing down some BBQ chicken. Despite the weather, she had a lovely day with a chicken breakfast, a new squeaky toy and then a huge lamb shank this afternoon. She spent most of the afternoon at my feet under the desk.

I'm so thankful we didn't wait any longer as she really had deteriorated over the weekend. Our vets were wonderful and so caring.

Run free Lucy Lou, you fought a good fight but two different cancers in 13 months was just too much for your poor little body. Hope you and Darcy have fun chasing those rabbits and kangaroos at the Rainbow Bridge.

Edited by Bindo

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bindo, I have tried to write this numerous times now. :cry:

No words can make up for your loss. Lucy had a very blessed life with your family, firstly Darcy and then Missy. She fought a tough battle and you have given her the ultimate gift. xxxx

Many thanks Kayla, Shepherds and GWP4me, such lovely thoughts and wishes. Yes, I also feel like the people in this forum our our 'little family' as we have all been, or are still going through, similar battles.

It has been strange, doing the vacuuming and hosing without someone attacking those 'monsters' - Missy just stands there and wags her tail. And although she hadn't done them for a while, I also miss Lucy's spontaneous zoomies up and down the hall, killing the nearest unfortunate toy. Must admit though, all this is far easier to bear when you have another dog to snuggle up to and look after. :)

• 1 month later...

Just a postscript; we scattered Lucy's and Darcy's ashes together up in the bush last weekend, over a glass of wine. It was the most beautiful summer evening and as we were doing it, some kangaroos appeared on their evening route, from the paddocks to the forest, straight through our place. The dogs would have loved that! It was sad but at the same time comforting to know that they are both together in their favourite place.

• 1 month later...

Well finally an answer to Lucy's latest problems but not what we wanted to hear. Cutaneous lymphoma. Explains all the symptoms and problems with her feet. Lesions now starting to appear around her eyes/nose and in her mouth. We are not going to confirm with biopsy as it would mean a GA/surgery and I am not putting her through any more suffering. No evidence of links to the MCT, but I feel that it certainly is related to a compromised immune system.

We will keep her comfortable, as long as she is happy/mobile and still eating, but I am not going to prolong her life for my benefit. At this stage, I want to her have a lovely last day while she is still relatively well, eat the biggest bone she has ever eaten (hasn't been allowed one for over a year now) and then drift off to sleep at home with her family.Then, when the time is right, we will scatter her and Darcy's (previous boy) ashes at our place in the mountains, their favourite place of all times. They can chase kangaroos together to their heart's content.

Thanks to everyone on here for their support during our journey over the past year or so, and best wishes to all those with their own challenges.

Truly takes courage and a big heart to make the choice. Darcy and Lucy must have only known love with you, Bindo.

I close my eyes and see them racing at this time of the afternoon chasing kangaroos as the sunset..... a wonderful way to end a day.

LOVE

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been on here for a while, so thanks for the lovely thoughts Anne, GWP4Me and Vizsla Momma. Yes, it is comforting to know that even though they didn't know each other, they are with each other now in their favourite place of all times. :)