Burying Food

sallyandtex

Hi,

Facts:

*3 year old kelpie ideal weight.

*Fed once per day dinner, dry food + meat or sardines

*Fussy eater

Problem:

*I give her some raw bones occasionally to help teeth and give variety.

*Will eat the meaty ones but will bury the bony ones and then dig them up at a later date when they are disgusting and maggoty, then will chew on them. :eat:

*Husband says dogs only bury food if they not hungry and I should have NO food days

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Hi,

Facts:

*3 year old kelpie ideal weight.

*Fed once per day dinner, dry food + meat or sardines

*Fussy eater

Problem:

*I give her some raw bones occasionally to help teeth and give variety.

*Will eat the meaty ones but will bury the bony ones and then dig them up at a later date when they are disgusting and maggoty, then will chew on them. :eat:

*Husband says dogs only bury food if they not hungry and I should have NO food days

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

My two only bury stuff if I feed them too much.

Edited by SchnauzerMax

..perhaps give her bones like turkey necks/wings or roo tail pieces (about 6-8 inches long )

these can be chewed in entirety ..they are not hard hard bone ...it may take her quite a long time ..(which means her teeth are getting cleaned- 3 chomps doesn't do it .) ..but perhaps treat these days as 'meat on bone MEAL day' ..no other food ? :)

If she's eating the meat off them and them burying them, what's the problem? Some dogs just like their bones 'aged for flavoring!

oK THANKS!

Just didn't know if it was "normal" and I should not feed her at all if she buries them. Husband heard someone talking on radio that said that dogs only bury food if not hungry but it doesn't seem that simple to me! The 'marinating" effect sounds about right! :)

One of my pups buries everything, even his toys (And not always in the ground, in a pinch he will pull cusions off the lounge and 'bury' things under those). It's got nothing to do with being hungry it not.

So would it be more common in puppies?

One of my pups buries everything, even his toys (And not always in the ground, in a pinch he will pull cusions off the lounge and 'bury' things under those). It's got nothing to do with being hungry it not.

Not necessarily, I know adult dogs that bury things too - but I only have puppies ;)

It's probably fun for her, it allows her to have a bone on HER terms, not just when you give her one. If she had them more often she might not bury them for later.

Not necessarily, I know adult dogs that bury things too - but I only have puppies ;)

It's probably fun for her, it allows her to have a bone on HER terms, not just when you give her one. If she had them more often she might not bury them for later.

I think she enjoys the scavenging part, and just to remind us that she's a dog and not human afterall :laugh:

I think she enjoys the scavenging part, and just to remind us that she's a dog and not human afterall :laugh:

Exactly :)

Guest donatella

My Poms try to bury their bones under clothes in my room :laugh:

They don't think I spot them sneaking them in and doing a bolt up the stairs.

I throw mine back in the freezer when they look like theyve had enough chewing for one day :D

I gave my old girl (RIP) a piece of pizza one day and she buried it, dug it up a day later and ate it :laugh: Must have tasted better the next day like a good casserole :D

Everyone knows cold pizza is best the next day!

..perhaps give her bones like turkey necks/wings or roo tail pieces (about 6-8 inches long )

these can be chewed in entirety ..they are not hard hard bone ...it may take her quite a long time ..(which means her teeth are getting cleaned- 3 chomps doesn't do it .) ..but perhaps treat these days as 'meat on bone MEAL day' ..no other food ? :)

I'd go with this.

My Dobe used to bury if she was not hungry - even the meaty ones. I always found she had put on a bit of weight when she started to bury - so that was my indication to cut back on rations - not necessarily leave her without meals.. Easy to keep her a good weight.

Weight bearing bones are not the best for them anyway - and if you have a nice garden, well, you and the dog are better off without them. :) The ones Persephone suggested keep their teeth in perfect condition - well they did with Kaisie. :)

Kaisie use to bury under DH's mulched fruit trees which did not impress him very much. :o

My Poms try to bury their bones under clothes in my room :laugh:

They don't think I spot them sneaking them in and doing a bolt up the stairs.

I throw mine back in the freezer when they look like theyve had enough chewing for one day :D

My Kenny used to bury his unwanted bones under my pillow. In summer I used to freeze an ice cream container with water & treats in it, he didn't like trying to get the treats out through cold ice, so decided to bury them & dig them up after the ice was gone. :rofl: