Training In Newcastle/lake Macquarie Area?

Hi All

I am starting to look for somewhere to take my 4 month old mini foxie Taya for training.

We have done puppy school where she did pretty good, but now want to continue with her training.

She is pretty good with sit, down, roll over. Not so good with come and stay.

We haven't begun walking her yet as she has only just had her last lot of needles so will also need to start her with heel too.

Any suggestions on the best place to go?

Thanks

Hillsborough (Newcastle Dog Training Club) is the largest dog club in the area. Training is on a Sunday morning and you can join on the first Sunday of the month. Classes are very large for beginners with up to 20 in a class at times and experience and knowledge of the volunteers varies. There are motivational classes offered which run for 8 weeks which use food and the other training classes which are run on a more traditional basis (check chains). There is a huge number of dogs on Sunday mornings, over 100 most Sundays. It can be quite distracting for young dogs and even older dogs.

They also offer a Canine Good Citizen course which is run by Delta trainers and has small numbers in the classes.

Your other option is to look for privately run classes which may be smaller or for one to one training.

Forgot to add, Telarah (Maitland) has a dog club based on positive training methods.

Edited by Jigsaw

Your other option is to look for privately run classes which may be smaller or for one to one training.

If this is what you are after I have found Barkers in Balance to be good. We did different levels of obedience at Williamtown, but I think there are other locations.

Hillsborough seems pretty good though if you want something ongoing.

maitlanddogobedience.asn.au/ check these guys out i can definatly recomend them. I have been to hillsborough it is okay but if you are willing to get up early sundays and hed to largs oval its is definatly worth it.

Quick question Dave, do they have a reactive dog class at Maitland?

No unfortunatly we dont. All of the instructors are very expierenced and closely monitor all the dogs, one of the advantages of a smaller club. There is plenty of one on one instruction. Im sure they would be able to asses the dogs needs and deal with all but the most extreme cases.

No unfortunatly we dont. All of the instructors are very expierenced and closely monitor all the dogs, one of the advantages of a smaller club. There is plenty of one on one instruction. Im sure they would be able to asses the dogs needs and deal with all but the most extreme cases.

Thanks for that Dave. I might come by one Sunday & check it out minus my dog ay first. She is very reactive at times so am unsure whether a class atmosphere would suit here & it may not be suitable for the other dogs there as she would distract everyone if she decides to throw a wobbly.

Edited by BC Crazy