Dog Facing Death After Defending His Owner

j

http://www.news.com.au/national/dog-faces-death-for-defending-master-after-road-rage-incident/story-fndo4eg9-1226503739600

Dog faces death for defending master after road rage incident by: Kate Higgins From: News Limited Network October 26, 2012 11:16AM

Max is now facing death row after he was seized following an incident where he attacked a man arguing with his owner.

A DOG defending his master during an alleged road rage incident could be put down.

Max, a three-year-old bullmastiff cross bull terrier, is on death row after an attack that landed one man in hospital, The Townsville Bulletin reports.

Max's owner Michael O'Shea claims the attack occurred after a road rage incident but the victim said it was just an unfortunate misunderstanding.

What is clear is that Max attacked a man in his 40s who approached Mr O'Shea, and his friend Lee Wilmot on a Townsville street after an earlier incident at an intersection.

The victim, who did not want to be named, left his vehicle and approached the pair where a short conversation ensued before Max, who is classed as a dangerous dog by the council, leapt through a window of the car and attacked the man.

Mr Wilmot, said the dog was usually passive. "He was protecting his master, it's what any dog would do."

The Townsville City Council yesterday seized Max, who will be held while council officers conduct a full investigation into the incident.

Read more on the dog facing death row at The Townsville Bulletin website.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the story said is that the people had a conversation - not that the owner was attacked?

Did you actually read the article :confused:

The victim, who did not want to be named, left his vehicle and approached the pair where a short conversation ensued before Max, who is classed as a dangerous dog by the council, leapt through a window of the car and attacked the man.

The victim, who was last night undergoing surgery so doctors could examine the full extent of his wounds and potential damage to his Achilles tendon, denied that he had provoked the men.

Edited by minimax

All the story said is that the people had a conversation - not that the owner was attacked?

The victim, who was last night undergoing surgery so doctors could examine the full extent of his wounds and potential damage to his Achilles tendon, denied that he had provoked the men.

I'm pretty sure Megan is referring to the fact that the article says that the man who was bitten was not attacking the owner, only that they were having a conversation. Therefore it's a bit OTT to say that the dog attacked because ti was defending its owner.

Edited by raineth

I'm pretty sure Megan is referring to the fact that the article says that the man who was bitten was not attacking the owner, only that they were having a conversation.

The owner said he was being provoked and threatened

I'm pretty sure Megan is referring to the fact that the article says that the man who was bitten was not attacking the owner, only that they were having a conversation.

where does it say that?

What are BSL laws in QLD? Maybe bull terriers are on the list? Or maybe the dog was indeed declared dangerous beforehand, in which case he should have been muzzled. In any case he should have been restrained inside the car (at least dogs have to be restrained in cars in NSW) and he would have been unable to jump out of the window if the owner had restrained him.

Either way I think the owner is at fault. I think most dogs who are going to defend their owner will not wait for a physical attack, they will react to aggressive body language.

where does it say that?

In the full article linked, which I presume people read before jumping to conclusions :confused:

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2012/10/26/368698_news.html

where does it say that?

In the full article linked, which I presume people read before jumping to conclusions :confused:

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2012/10/26/368698_news.html

I think you have completely got the wrong idea.

I am not arguing with you. I thought you had misinterpreted Megan's comment.

I read the article that was linked and I didn't read that comment. You don't need to be so defensive, I am not attacking you.

I think you have completely got the wrong idea.

I am not arguing with you. I thought you had misinterpreted Megan's comment.

I read the article that was linked and I didn't read that comment. You don't need to be so defensive, I am not attacking you.

Good-o :)

where does it say that?

In the link in the original article, gives a lot more detail.

Max, a three-year-old bullmastiff cross bull terrier

What's new........another Bull crossbreed attack and we wonder why the public want the community rid of them :confused:

If the dog wasn't already declared dangerous and was on leash, the owner would have a good defence, but given it was already declared, the owner has a few breaches to contend with ultimately the dog wasn't leashed and muzzled in a public place for starters.

Edited by m-sass

Defending? Seriously?

On what planet is it acceptable behaviour for a dog to put a person in hospital after harsh words are exchanged with another person in a public place?

And on what planet is a dog that has to be dragged off the person by its owner anything less than dangerous? :confused:

I dont give a toss what breed or breeds the dog is - this is simply unacceptable.

Defending? Seriously?

On what planet is it acceptable behaviour for a dog to put a person in hospital after harsh words are exchanged with another person in a public place?

And on what planet is a dog that has to be dragged off the person by its owner anything less than dangerous? :confused:

I dont give a toss what breed or breeds the dog is - this is simply unacceptable.

It's actually a statutory defence in many council areas around Australia that a dog may attack in defence of it's owner being subject to threatening behaviour, providing the dog is not already declared dangerous or is formally protection trained is the general criteria. You can't deploy a dog to attack, but if someone acting out with threatening behaviour against a dog owner within leash range of the dog and gets bitten, bad luck :D

Edited by m-sass